Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just checking over my Pinsent masons vac scheme app form and just noticed 2/3 of the questions (the spare time q and non academic achievement q) say ‘max 4000 characters including spaces’ but then the last q on why commercial law and why pinsents just says ‘max 4000 characters’. Does this mean anything - are spaces not included in this last question? Thank you☺️ @Jessica Booker

As per my PM, it doesn’t mean anything - it’s 4,000 characters each answer

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Either is fine - the suitability of which tact you take will depend on who is included in that answer and whether you feel you need to justify them.
Thank you! The firm asking is a US firm and the firms I'm largely applying to are also US and with similar practice focus, trainee intake etc. Do you think they would need justifying?

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
@Jessica Booker Maybe a bit of a silly question, but I'm currently writing an answer to a question that simply states "What motivates you? (200 words)". No further guidance is given, so I'm kind of confused by how best to approach this.

Should I treat it as essentially asking what motivates me to work at a law firm, or what motivates me in my career in general, or what future plans I have which "motivate" me to keep pushing now? Am I even thinking in the right direction with this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Maybe a bit of a silly question, but I'm currently writing an answer to a question that simply states "What motivates you? (200 words)". No further guidance is given, so I'm kind of confused by how best to approach this.

Should I treat it as essentially asking what motivates me to work at a law firm, or what motivates me in my career in general, or what future plans I have which "motivate" me to keep pushing now? Am I even thinking in the right direction with this?

In general is the right approach here - it doesn’t have to be specific to law firms. It is just asking you to self reflect and self analysis what keeps your happy/motivated/driven. It isn’t necessary to talk about future of plans but if you think it helps define your answers, then it could work.

NikkiT

Legendary Member
Oct 2, 2020
A question for anyone who has applied to Pinsent Masons - Did you use the full 4000 characters for your application answers? I am finding that using more words is making my answers sound waffly but I don't want my answers to be notably short.

James Kitching

Distinguished Member
Oct 26, 2019
A question for anyone who has applied to Pinsent Masons - Did you use the full 4000 characters for your application answers? I am finding that using more words is making my answers sound waffly but I don't want my answers to be notably short.
There is absolute nothing wrong with succinct, well written answers. If your response answers the question and conveys your points then your answer is fine.

Reactions: NadineBusty

Mo M

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 6, 2020

I managed to use the full word count, but I did edit it many times to stop it sounding waffly too!

Reactions: Andrew M

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    How did you find the WG for CC? and did you find out your score from graduate recruitment?

I found it pretty okay (and I'm saying that also as a disabled applicant) and I'm not going to ask for my score as I would find it stressful to compare myself - and knowing my score isn't going to change whether I'm successful or not. :)

D

Deleted member 2707

International students, when applying for VS/TC, what do you answer for the question: "Do you need a Visa/Work Permit?" I technically don't require a work permit for VS as I am eligible to work full-time during holidays but I would need sponsorship during my TC.

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Does anyone have any experience with CMS AC? What it entails, what the case study is about, the interview questions that came up, how you prepared etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really want this!
    A friend of mine is a trainee there now and he said BE YOURSELF. He is quite a unique guy and they loved that. Stand out, be yourself and actually enjoy the day :)

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Hi guys, I've been pondering about a question I was asked during an interview - 'why wouldn't you be interested in human rights law?' (something along those lines) and I think I was asked this given my background - extensive volunteering experiences in legal/socio-economic justice - but I don't think I gave a very strong answer. How would you guys answer it if you were asked even if you didn't have these experiences? :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys, I've been pondering about a question I was asked during an interview - 'why wouldn't you be interested in human rights law?' (something along those lines) and I think I was asked this given my background - extensive volunteering experiences in legal/socio-economic justice - but I don't think I gave a very strong answer. How would you guys answer it if you were asked even if you didn't have these experiences? :)

there isn’t an answer to this question. How one person would answer it would be very different to the next. You just have to show your considerations as to why you personally are not exploring that as a career option.

Reactions: jan28 and Andrew M

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    @Jessica Booker Jess, one question I'm never really sure how to answer is "How did you hear about our firm? Please tick all that apply."

I genuinely couldn't remember where / how I heard about a specific firm. For me, I just sort of picked up the names of firms through osmosis, what other students were saying, events here and there, etc., yet very few offer the option of just saying "word of mouth / general reputation". Does it even matter what we say here? Are they expecting multiple answers? Because I always just select Chambers Student Guide, since that's what I use the most to research firms.

Reactions: Staples

MZ

Esteemed Member
    Forum Winner
    Oct 7, 2020
    International students, when applying for VS/TC, what do you answer for the question: "Do you need a Visa/Work Permit?" I technically don't require a work permit for VS as I am eligible to work full-time during holidays but I would need sponsorship during my TC.
    Let me know if you get an answer to this because I've also wondered how to answer this question. Sometimes they give you a text box to explain your visa situation but most of the time, the options are just yes or no. I don't want to say no in case they think I won't be able to work during the Vacation Scheme and reject me for not being eligible, but I also don't want to mislead them by saying I have permission to work in the UK because I will still need them to sponsor me for my TC.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.