General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
@Jessica Booker Jess, one question I'm never really sure how to answer is "How did you hear about our firm? Please tick all that apply."

I genuinely couldn't remember where / how I heard about a specific firm. For me, I just sort of picked up the names of firms through osmosis, what other students were saying, events here and there, etc., yet very few offer the option of just saying "word of mouth / general reputation". Does it even matter what we say here? Are they expecting multiple answers? Because I always just select Chambers Student Guide, since that's what I use the most to research firms.
I just tend to pick a generic one, like I heard on Chambers Student or Reputation. I'm not sure that it matters much to be honest. They probably ask it so that they can gage which are their most effective forms of marketing to students.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Jess, one question I'm never really sure how to answer is "How did you hear about our firm? Please tick all that apply."

I genuinely couldn't remember where / how I heard about a specific firm. For me, I just sort of picked up the names of firms through osmosis, what other students were saying, events here and there, etc., yet very few offer the option of just saying "word of mouth / general reputation". Does it even matter what we say here? Are they expecting multiple answers? Because I always just select Chambers Student Guide, since that's what I use the most to research firms.

It’s not an important question for you, it just is more for the firm to collectively work out the success of their media advertising. Just choose the options that seem most logical to you - it doesn’t really need much thought though as it’s not relevant to your application

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
I just tend to pick a generic one, like I heard on Chambers Student or Reputation. I'm not sure that it matters much to be honest. They probably ask it so that they can gage which are their most effective forms of marketing to students.
It’s not an important question for you, it just is more for the firm to collectively work out the success of their media advertising. Just choose the options that seem most logical to you - it doesn’t really need much thought though as it’s not relevant to your application
Makes sense, thanks!

James Kitching

Distinguished Member
Oct 26, 2019
Hi all,
When discussing a recent commercial issue impacting a particular firm’s clients, does the issue need to directly relate to a client of the firm?

Let me use my example: I wish to discuss growing antitrust concerns within the technology sphere. The firm has represented a company affected by this, but not for a good few years. I don’t know if their current clients will be directly impacted or not.

Does this matter? Will they dismiss my answer as irrelevant?

D

Deleted member 2707

Let me know if you get an answer to this because I've also wondered how to answer this question. Sometimes they give you a text box to explain your visa situation but most of the time, the options are just yes or no. I don't want to say no in case they think I won't be able to work during the Vacation Scheme and reject me for not being eligible, but I also don't want to mislead them by saying I have permission to work in the UK because I will still need them to sponsor me for my TC.

@Jessica Booker any advice on this point? The original question was how should international students answer the question of whether we need a visa to work in application forms.

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    How do I say 'Despite working this job, I achieved top academic results at school' without sounding egotistical? I don't wan to come across as bad but I did get high marks while maintaining a job

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020
    How do I say 'Despite working this job, I achieved top academic results at school' without sounding egotistical? I don't wan to come across as bad but I did get high marks while maintaining a job

I would qualify it with the number of hours you worked there on average per week so GR sees that your accomplishments are really impressive in light of that!

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020

Its an application, brag about your amazing achievement! I definitely agree with the other commenter that adding the hours is a good idea :)

Reactions: Jaysen

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020
    Thank you! I just popped that in. Have you applied for Freshfields by any chance?

Hey! I haven’t yet submitted a TC application to Freshfields because they don’t recruit on a rolling basis but I did attend an insight day with them two weeks ago. So feel free to PM if you have any application/firm-related questions.

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    hi guys how would you approach a question like 'what proposals would you make to the partnership of a firm?' I think I might be overthinking this because of the broad term partnership as there can be different types so any guidance would be really helpful!

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hey! I haven’t yet submitted a TC application to Freshfields because they don’t recruit on a rolling basis but I did attend an insight day with them two weeks ago. So feel free to PM if you have any application/firm-related questions.

Great - I was invited to one of their workshops so we are in a similar boat. Pinged you a message!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hi guys how would you approach a question like 'what proposals would you make to the partnership of a firm?' I think I might be overthinking this because of the broad term partnership as there can be different types so any guidance would be really helpful!

the partnership are just the people who own the business in this sense.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    When a firm asks "whats a news story that you followed", is it important to link it to the firms core practises? For e.g, I really enjoy following Corporate stories, but the firm I have a VS with have a strong focus on Banking- would this be an issue?

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    Anyone got any tips for getting onto the ashurst open day? I dont just want to say im interested in its work without being more specific

For all the successful open day applications I have done I always make sure to do a little bit of research on the firm so I can be more specific on what I want to gain from the open day.
    So, for example, Ashurst has something called Ashurst Advance Delivery Team which helps the firm better meet client demand through various offerings like tech, so the Open Day may help you learn about specifics of this and maybe how its actually been used in delivering a good service to clients. its also one of the only firms in the City that offers a 6 month pro bono seat within the TC so would be a great thing to mention if you enjoy outreach work and would like to know more about it...

There's a lot more about Ashurst that makes them unique and that you may want to learn more about, it just takes a bit of research to find out what it is haha

• 🤝
    • 🏆
    Reactions: OB, Tavistocksfinest and EmmKay
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.