Status
Not open for further replies.

JayC

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 8, 2021
See the post below yours....

I cannot guarantee a deadline will be 23.59 but a deadline will always include the date stated, never the day before.
Allen & Overy Middle East said "Due by the first of January" and it closed at the time the year ended, so you couldn't have worked at it on the 1st. But generally from what I've seen I would agree with you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Allen & Overy Middle East said "Due by the first of January" and it closed at the time the year ended, so you couldn't have worked at it on the 1st. But generally from what I've seen I would agree with you

I would have got it in before then anyway where the 1st wouldn’t have been a working day (as it was a Friday) in Dubai. My advice is always apply before the last working hour ahead of the deadline.

Reactions: JayC

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    **please help**

I just received a TC rejection after my winter vac scheme. I really enjoyed the vac scheme and was convinced it was the right firm for me so the rejection has hit me really really hard. The TC interview process in general took a massive toll on me because I found it so hard to balance my uni work and deadlines with preparing for the interview and ending up overworking and over stressing myself and tanking on the actual interview day. I'm in my final year and feel like this was my last opportunity to get a training contract before I graduate as I've missed all the vac scheme deadlines for other firms now.

I'm getting my head around the fact that I'm going to have to apply for straight TC's. I've seen firms like White & Case and Hogan Lovells have TC deadlines in summer like July time. I don't know whether I should be applying to these now, or waiting until after I graduate when I have my degree results and then applying in the summer. The pros of this would be that I could focus on getting the best possible results and not having to worry about the application process, but the risk is that they will have already made all of the their TC offers.

Any advice on the TC application process & how to cope with rejection (lol) would be great thank you.

Hi,

I've been exactly where you are right now and my heart really really goes out to you. I've always thought that the post VS rejection is the one that stings the most because it feels like you were so so close. It's a terrible feeling and I really hope you take time away from apps for awhile to recover from the rejection.

You definitely have not missed your last opportunity to get a TC just because you've graduated. There are so many people on this forum that are still applying/have secured TC offers despite having graduated years ago. It can be tough to see people who get TC offers in their second (and even first) year of uni and not compare yourself but I promise you, you are absolutely not behind anyone. It is never ever too late to go after something that you really want.

In terms of when to apply for direct TCs, there really is no rush to apply. If you feel like the summer cycle would be more manageable for yourself since you'd be done with university then you should definitely go through with that. It's hard to just keep going without a break and there's no harm in wanting to take time out to focus on university. Yes, there are quite a few firms that tend to disregard TC apps completely if they've recruited from the VS (mostly US firms actually) but there are still lots of other firms that still recruit from TC apps as well. The other thing to bear in mind is that again besides US firms, I don't think any firm actually has a fixed ratio of VS:TC applicants. It really depends on which pool of applicants are stronger and bear in mind that some people who do get made TC offers want later start dates, earlier start dates etc, so the chances of firms looking at direct TC apps to fill spaces for an intake still exists. The fact that you have already done a VS will only make your applications stronger and I really do think you stand a strong chance regardless.

On dealing with rejection, I really really hate to sound like a broken record especially because I've said this so many times on the forum now but I really believe that if you have made it onto a VS you are 100% TC material. You have everything that it takes and more to make it through the most competitive parts of the process and you should be so proud of yourself. The other thing that helped me deal with my own post VS rejection is the realisation that sometimes converting a VS has very little to do with things that were in your control. You could have been the most amazing candidate that produced flawless work but maybe the partners interviewing just didn't think you'd be a good fit. And as hard as that pill is to swallow, it just means that there's a better firm out there for you.

So so many people, myself included have been rejected post VS and gone on to secure TC offers from firms. You're not alone with where you're at right now, and I'm confident your TC offer is on its way.

Bethany

Star Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice on my White and Case app (I’m aware it’s v late to be looking for advice, but I only became aware of TCLA recently).

Under the section “please provide details of any careers events you have attended” how are people doing this part? Are you choosing a few and elaborating on them or just bullet pointing them?

bethbristol

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 30, 2019
    Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice on my White and Case app (I’m aware it’s v late to be looking for advice, but I only became aware of TCLA recently).

Under the section “please provide details of any careers events you have attended” how are people doing this part? Are you choosing a few and elaborating on them or just bullet pointing them?
    Hi Bethany - I would make sure to include as many of the events that you attended as possible. You may be able to group them e.g. I have attended open days with... For my successful app last year I wrote in full prose as opposed to bullet points, but I kept it very factual with a brief sentence explaining what each one was if necessary (e.g. a particular event's focus). I also including some of the virtual internships that I had done on insideSherpa (now Forage) - I know that this is not specifically a careers event.

Bethany

Star Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    Hi Bethany - I would make sure to include as many of the events that you attended as possible. You may be able to group them e.g. I have attended open days with... For my successful app last year I wrote in full prose as opposed to bullet points, but I kept it very factual with a brief sentence explaining what each one was if necessary (e.g. a particular event's focus). I also including some of the virtual internships that I had done on insideSherpa (now Forage) - I know that this is not specifically a careers event.
    Hello again :) haha. Ok fab thank you. Did you do the same for the work experience section? I usually bullet point on my CV but feel as though I should write in full sentences for the app?

Reactions: bethbristol

bethbristol

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 30, 2019
    Hello again :) haha. Ok fab thank you. Did you do the same for the work experience section? I usually bullet point on my CV but feel as though I should write in full sentences for the app?
    Yes I write in full sentences in my work experience sections. Some firms let you bullet point but this should be made clear on the application form itself.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi everyone!

Would love to hear what's everyone's pre-AC routine. What do you do the day before, night before and on the actual day itself? Any last minute routine that helped calm your nerves? Any foods that you particularly find would help with stress?

Thank you!! :D

As a couple of people have mentioned, I think this would make an awesome thread!

I live in Aberdeen and my AC's were in London, so a lot of my day before the AC was spent travelling (see below)

upload_2021-1-14_22-1-11.png

Typically, my day would start around 6am for a train so I'd get working early- revising for different parts of the AC. I would typically practise my answers, use queue cards etc. Read the news, make sure I was totally up to date on everything.

When I got to London, I'd typically done more or less 8 hours work so I'd normally take a break for a couple of hours- drop my bag into the hotel and go get some lunch. I often booked a mock interview with Rare (I was a rare candidate) for late the day before so if I had one, I'd hop to their office after eating and get that done. I would normally do a little more work when I got back to the hotel but maybe only another half hour or hour. In the evening, I made a conscious effort to switch off and take my mind away from the AC. I'd normally order sushi (Aberdeen doesn't have any Sushi delivery :( )and video call my fiancee for a while then just watch Netflix or something and get an early night.

Morning of, I'd try and be up at a decent time, showered, suited and booted with enough time to get a coffee. I'm terrible for skipping breakfast so I normally wouldn't eat (don't recommend) and would try and be at the firm about 20 minutes before I needed to. Typically I would either walk or catch an Uber to the AC as I always feel like I'm coated in dust after being on the tube!

After the AC, I'd normally head back to the hotel to change and then go out for dinner and hit up one or two of my favourite bars (Nightjar cocktail bar on City Rd is usually a must). I normally booked a later train home so I could chill out in the city for a little while before getting back on the train.

Really interested to hear more people's answers here- ace question!

Last edited:

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    In a question that asks 'Why do you want to become a solicitor and what key skills do you have that are relevant to the role? [200 words]' would you provide examples of where you have demonstrated these key skills or would you just state you have said skills and explain why they are relevant to the role? I'm finding it tough in the word limit to say where I have developed a skill, and why it's relevant!

Any suggestions welcome!

Reactions: Holly

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    In a question that asks 'Why do you want to become a solicitor and what key skills do you have that are relevant to the role? [200 words]' would you provide examples of where you have demonstrated these key skills or would you just state you have said skills and explain why they are relevant to the role? I'm finding it tough in the word limit to say where I have developed a skill, and why it's relevant!

Any suggestions welcome!

I wouldn’t explain why the skill was relevant given the limited word count.

Reactions: Lumree

J32

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 4, 2019
    As a couple of people have mentioned, I think this would make an awesome thread!

I live in Aberdeen and my AC's were in London, so a lot of my day before the AC was spent travelling (see below)

View attachment 2535

Typically, my day would start around 6am for a train so I'd get working early- revising for different parts of the AC. I would typically practise my answers, use queue cards etc. Read the news, make sure I was totally up to date on everything.

When I got to London, I'd typically done more or less 8 hours work so I'd normally take a break for a couple of hours- drop my bag into the hotel and go get some lunch. I often booked a mock interview with Rare (I was a rare candidate) for late the day before so if I had one, I'd hop to their office after eating and get that done. I would normally do a little more work when I got back to the hotel but maybe only another half hour or hour. In the evening, I made a conscious effort to switch off and take my mind away from the AC. I'd normally order sushi (Aberdeen doesn't have any Sushi delivery :( )and video call my fiancee for a while then just watch Netflix or something and get an early night.

Morning of, I'd try and be up at a decent time, showered, suited and booted with enough time to get a coffee. I'm terrible for skipping breakfast so I normally wouldn't eat (don't recommend) and would try and be at the first about 20 minutes before I needed to. Typically I would either walk or catch an Uber to the AC as I always feel like I'm coated in dust after being on the tube!

After the AC, I'd normally head back to the hotel to change and then go out for dinner and hit up one or two of my favourite bars (Nightjar cocktail bar on City Rd is usually a must). I normally booked a later train home so I could chill out in the city for a little while before getting back on the train.

Really interested to hear more people's answers here- ace question!

Best post-AC routine I've ever come across! :D

Reactions: Daniel Boden

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Hey guys.

Not sure if anyone is interested but I was thinking that it would be a good idea and really good practice for ACs and interviews to have a group of people to discuss current affairs and practice these commercial topics together. I know that I learnt a lot from the sessions Jaysen and Alice ran during the summer where we got sent an article and then discussed it by way of forming our opinions on it etc.

If anyone is interested let me know as personally, this is the part I am most anxious about in interviews (not so much the rest as it's "easier" to prep for).

:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.