General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

nat237

Dec 9, 2019
Has anyone done the womble bond dickinson video interview and know what sort of questions are being asked? It says the interview will be based on your self-reflection.. Any idea what that may mean??

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone done the womble bond dickinson video interview and know what sort of questions are being asked? It says the interview will be based on your self-reflection.. Any idea what that may mean??

I would expect this to be about knowing your strengths, weaknesses, what motivates you/what doesn’t or where you get your energy from/what takes your energy away from you

Reactions: nat237

LCZ

Standard Member
Nov 6, 2019
Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster! I’m in a sticky (but obviously extremely lucky) situation of having two vac schemes but they slightly overlap with each other... I’ve been offered the July dates at a firm about a week and a half ago and just been offered another vac scheme on Friday afternoon. The problem is that week 2 of vac scheme 1 overlaps with week 1 of vac scheme 2 - what do I do?? Thinking of calling up the second firm and telling them honestly to see whether I could come for the second week but really stuck in a pickle here :(

Reactions: JayB

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Hey all! Long time lurker, first time poster! I’m in a sticky (but obviously extremely lucky) situation of having two vac schemes but they slightly overlap with each other... I’ve been offered the July dates at a firm about a week and a half ago and just been offered another vac scheme on Friday afternoon. The problem is that week 2 of vac scheme 1 overlaps with week 1 of vac scheme 2 - what do I do?? Thinking of calling up the second firm and telling them honestly to see whether I could come for the second week but really stuck in a pickle here :(

Two choices:

1. See if one firm has alternative dates for the VS. They may be able to move you to an alternative scheme (I did this with FF).

2. Pick the firm you want to do the VS at (your #1 firm choice) and then look to leverage the second firm into a TC. They will either say yes, and you have a TC offer, or they will say no, and you will lose nothing (as you have to pick one or the other).

Congrats on two offers!

Reactions: JayB

LCZ

Standard Member
Nov 6, 2019
Two choices:

1. See if one firm has alternative dates for the VS. They may be able to move you to an alternative scheme (I did this with FF).

2. Pick the firm you want to do the VS at (your #1 firm choice) and then look to leverage the second firm into a TC. They will either say yes, and you have a TC offer, or they will say no, and you will lose nothing (as you have to pick one or the other).

Congrats on two offers!

Hey! Thanks for the advice!

I already tried to move to an alternative date at firm 1 as a precaution to avoid this clash but they said they had allocated the spaces for their first summer scheme in June already unfortunately.

I suppose the best thing to do is explain to the second choice firm the situation (honesty is the best policy?) and see whether they can be flexible in allowing me to do a week, or a straight TC interview as you say. This is obviously a positive difficult situation to be in

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Hey! Thanks for the advice!

I already tried to move to an alternative date at firm 1 as a precaution to avoid this clash but they said they had allocated the spaces for their first summer scheme in June already unfortunately.

I suppose the best thing to do is explain to the second choice firm the situation (honesty is the best policy?) and see whether they can be flexible in allowing me to do a week, or a straight TC interview as you say. This is obviously a positive difficult situation to be in

Just remember - you don't want to give the impression to the second firm that they are your second choice. By saying that you can only do a week because of another firm... indicates that heavily (in my view). This is why you want to phrase it differently. Say they got back to you after the first firm did, you are still really interested but simply cannot attend as you have made those commitments. But, re-iterate your desire to work there and then state that because of this (your desire to work at the firm) that you'd be willing to consider a direct TC offer.

Just remember - if you REALLY wanted to be at the second firm (as you have undoubtedly lead them to believe in your application), they will simply ask you to do their VS. I think my phrasing makes that seem less so. Also, it shows you have the confidence to ask!

Reactions: anon0408

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

It’s most likely you won’t be able to come to the second week of one - missing the first week is the most tricky week to miss (miss induction, All your IT set up etc).

This happens all the time and generally you just have to decline one of the schemes unfortunately.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just remember - you don't want to give the impression to the second firm that they are your second choice. By saying that you can only do a week because of another firm... indicates that heavily (in my view). This is why you want to phrase it differently. Say they got back to you after the first firm did, you are still really interested but simply cannot attend as you have made those commitments. But, re-iterate your desire to work there and then state that because of this (your desire to work at the firm) that you'd be willing to consider a direct TC offer.

Just remember - if you REALLY wanted to be at the second firm (as you have undoubtedly lead them to believe in your application), they will simply ask you to do their VS. I think my phrasing makes that seem less so. Also, it shows you have the confidence to ask!

Most unlikely you will get a direct TC offer too.

instead of wording it this way, word it that you’d like to transfer over to a direct TC application and you would like to understand what parts of the recruitment process you’d need to complete should that be an option.

PAM

Mar 16, 2020
Anyone received an update from Addleshaw Goddard, re whether the Spring Scheme is still taking place? Don't want to email them just yet, but considering it's two weeks away it would be good to know with the whole Coronavirus situation.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Anyone received an update from Addleshaw Goddard, re whether the Spring Scheme is still taking place? Don't want to email them just yet, but considering it's two weeks away it would be good to know with the whole Coronavirus situation.

If they are going to update people, they will update everyone at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.