General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
Internal source has mentioned A&O have frozen associate pay and pausing half their bonus.

A commenter on here was worrying about COVID's impact on firms and I thought they really really didnt need to. I hate to say this but I am starting to change my mind. For a MC firm to freeze pay is surely hinting at a 2008 all over again?
That just came out in one of the law publications. What does that actually entail? Does it just mean they are not getting their discretionary bonus or they’ve lowered their salary for a temporary period?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Internal source has mentioned A&O have frozen associate pay and pausing half their bonus.

A commenter on here was worrying about COVID's impact on firms and I thought they really really didnt need to. I hate to say this but I am starting to change my mind. For a MC firm to freeze pay is surely hinting at a 2008 all over again?

This means that no one is getting a pay rise or bonus. In the grand scheme of things, this is nothing to worry about. Worry about when people are made redundant...

I want to be frank with people, this is a lot worse that 2008. 2008 may have been the collapse of the financial system, but everything kept running.

This will hit us harder and faster than it did in 2008. But that's likely to mean that things will recover quicker too.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
That just came out in one of the law publications. What does that actually entail? Does it just mean they are not getting their discretionary bonus or they’ve lowered their salary for a temporary period?

Just means they won't get a discretionary bonus that they typically would have received in May/June. They also won't receive a pay rise, that they also would have received around that time too...

This is not something to panic about - discretionary bonuses and pay rises are just that - discretionary.

Of all the things to panic about, this shouldn't be it.

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018

I cannot access the publication but reading the short snippet that I can see, I get the impression the publication is saying that A&O is not increasing associate pay this year and keeping it as it is. Law firms have salary reviews, I think annually, where they appraise their financials and the salaries paid within the firm. That is why there was a hike in NQ pay last year across the MC - it was part of these standard reviews I think. I cannot comment beyond this and it is only based on what I have been able to read, i.e. two sentences. However, I would probably entreat everyone not to worry too much at this stage - firms may well decide to be conservative with their funds given the current situation as it is the best thing to do to hedge against this uncertainty, but I would not say that this is a huge cause for concern at this stage.

I am absolutely no expert or authority on this but these are just my thoughts and I think we should try not to speculate and worry ourselves too much. Law firms are complex businesses with equally complex financials and they will just be taking the steps they need to in order to safeguard against this downturn since we do not know how long it will last or what the lasting effects will be.

Reactions: Charles and Jade

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Just means they won't get a discretionary bonus that they typically would have received in May/June. They also won't receive a pay rise, that they also would have received around that time too...

This is not something to panic about - discretionary bonuses and pay rises are just that - discretionary.

I am always one step behind you @Jessica Booker - sorry I just read this after I posted!

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019

I wasn’t panicking, was just wondering what it meant exactly. Thanks for clarifying.

Reactions: Mia97

Ravenclaw

Standard Member
Jan 21, 2020
I cannot access the publication but reading the short snippet that I can see, I get the impression the publication is saying that A&O is not increasing associate pay this year and keeping it as it is. Law firms have salary reviews, I think annually, where they appraise their financials and the salaries paid within the firm. That is why there was a hike in NQ pay last year across the MC - it was part of these standard reviews I think. I cannot comment beyond this and it is only based on what I have been able to read, i.e. two sentences. However, I would probably entreat everyone not to worry too much at this stage - firms may well decide to be conservative with their funds given the current situation as it is the best thing to do to hedge against this uncertainty, but I would not say that this is a huge cause for concern at this stage.

I am absolutely no expert or authority on this but these are just my thoughts and I think we should try not to speculate and worry ourselves too much. Law firms are complex businesses with equally complex financials and they will just be taking the steps they need to in order to safeguard against this downturn since we do not know how long it will last or what the lasting effects will be.

Legal Business just published this now, confirms what my friend at A&O told me. https://www.legalbusiness.co.uk/blo...o-task-with-raft-of-belt-tightening-measures/

But yes you and @Jessica Booker are right, doesnt appear too drastic and not a green light to panic...yet lol

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Email from WBD to say they have paused their recruitment process (post VI)

No timescale as to when things will be running again (if they will) only that applications are still being considered.

Charles

Distinguished Member
    Sep 25, 2019

Mia97

Jul 16, 2019
    Ravenclaw please do let us know when there's a green light to hit the panic button - we cant be having the panic button being idle...hehehe

Now now no need to be mean, people are anxious it is understandable. The reason I liked this forum was I believed it was a encouraging and supported others not giggled at their anxieties which im sure we all have.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Today is a very special day because it is @Jessica Booker's birthday!! I just wanted to wish you a very happy birthday and to say thank you for all of the help and advice you give to us all - you are an incredible support to so many of us. I know this isn't the birthday you probably had planned but I really hope you have a lovely day :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Today is a very special day because it is @Jessica Booker's birthday!! I just wanted to wish you a very happy birthday and to say thank you for all of the help and advice you give to us all - you are an incredible support to so many of us. I know this isn't the birthday you probably had planned but I really hope you have a lovely day :)

Completely echo this, I hope you don't mind us sharing Jess!

You guys reading this know how much time Jess has spent answering questions and sharing her thoughts throughout the forum. She puts so much effort in and this place wouldn't be the same without her (it's no surprise her 'Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything' thread has over 70,000 visits and 1000 posts).

I hope you guys will join us in wishing her a happy birthday!

PS: We've sent a little gift from TCLA to your email Jess!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

thank you so much ❤️❤️❤️

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Completely echo this, I hope you don't mind us sharing Jess!

You guys reading this know how much time Jess has spent answering questions and sharing her thoughts throughout the forum. She puts so much effort in and this place wouldn't be the same without her (it's no surprise her 'Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything' thread has over 70,000 visits and 1000 posts).

I hope you guys will join us in wishing her a happy birthday!

PS: We've sent a little gift from TCLA to your email Jess!

I’ve just spotted this in my email!

Thank you so much - this is such a generous gift and it’s really made my morning!

❤️

wwood

Distinguished Member
    Jan 19, 2019

Happy birthday @Jessica Booker :) Thank you for your incredibly useful tips and guidance! I hope you have a great time celebrating with your family! Take care and stay safe!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.