General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureCity

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Dec 23, 2018
@Jessica Booker after emailing grad rec, how long would you advise to wait until following up with a call or an email? I emailed last Wednesday at 4pm (it’s about my VS with them) as I couldn’t get through. Thank you.

The advice I got from my university was, if you emailed and haven’t received a response in a week, send another email. After another week, you can give them a call.

• 🤝
Reactions: Holly

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The advice I got from my university was, if you emailed and haven’t received a response in a week, send another email. After another week, you can give them a call.

I wouldn’t recommend this approach for most queries. They are either urgent (so waiting two weeks isn’t appropriate) or they aren’t urgent and you are just chasing up for your own sanity (which means you should probably just wait for them to come back to you)

AH9891

Valued Member
Jan 11, 2020
depends how urgent the query is

I’d need to hear back in a week from now, so there’s some time. I just wondered if after a week or so I would
I wouldn’t recommend this approach for most queries. They are either urgent (so waiting two weeks isn’t appropriate) or they aren’t urgent and you are just chasing up for your own sanity (which means you should probably just wait for them to come back to you)

It’s semi urgent I suppose. I need to know in two weeks from now, so I don’t mind waiting, I just worry that they might not get back to me at all

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’d need to hear back in a week from now, so there’s some time. I just wondered if after a week or so I would

It’s semi urgent I suppose. I need to know in two weeks from now, so I don’t mind waiting, I just worry that they might not get back to me at all

Need to know what? If your post interview/AC then no rush, but if your waiting to know whether you get an interview/AC, you could easily be waiting for that to happen in a few weeks time even if they do invite you.

PM me if it’s easier to discuss there

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If coronavirus hits the UK what happens to our vac schemes? Hahaha

Considering I got swine flu when working in a law firm, I suspect I can give you the clearest answer on this.

It will be business as usual. If you have even the smallest of symptoms though, you will be expected to not come into work. Don't even attempt to go in if there is a chance you have got it (if you did you'd be seen as a selfish idiot, so it wouldn't do you any favours).

If you got ill during your scheme, unfortunately it will just be tough luck. They would assess you as best as they could. They may choose to defer you to the next vacation scheme (quite common when people are ill with other matters) or just convert your application to a TC and interview you for that when you are better.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Serah O

Ourmon

Nov 3, 2018
Hi guys, I had an AC at Simmons & Simmons mid January but I am still waiting to hear back. I emailed Grad Rec 3 weeks after (4 weeks ago now) and they said I would hear back by the end of February. I know people who had their AC both before and after mine have received rejections or offers. Not sure what to think at this stage and I feel if I email again I might be pestering them.

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
I've just emailed V&E and they confirmed they're still reading everyone's applications. They're a small office with a small grad rec team if I remember correctly and they're probably juggling the pressure of interviewing AC candidates, watching people's VI responses + scheduling even more ACs, reading through all the written applications + sending out even more VIs + sending out even more ACs so hang in there! It could be that they've had an unprecedented large no. of applications this year too, as I remember this happened with other firms with small trainee intakes this cycle (especially with Kirkland & Ellis)

Reactions: Mirela Mihova

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys, I had an AC at Simmons & Simmons mid January but I am still waiting to hear back. I emailed Grad Rec 3 weeks after (4 weeks ago now) and they said I would hear back by the end of February. I know people who had their AC both before and after mine have received rejections or offers. Not sure what to think at this stage and I feel if I email again I might be pestering them.

Definitely not unreasonable to contact them again

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Might be a stupid question but what exactly do I say in an email/phone call to a firm asking for updates? I don't want to sound too pushy but it's been a month of waiting ... :confused:

Dear X

I applied for Y vacancy on Z date. I wanted to check the status of my application. Please could you advise?

Many thanks

Joe Bloggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.