General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jul 29, 2019
Just been disqualified from a US firm's application process post interview, whilst they were in the process of making me an offer. The grounds for disqualification were that my module grades I entered on the application form did not match my transcript. I didn’t falsify any information but didn’t include some optional modules. I did this as I received explicit advice on their open day from Grad Rec that ‘it is not necessary to put down modules that don’t count to your final classification’. I'd also note that I'm on track for a first class grade at university - so my grades wouldn't have held me back.

It’s a horrible feeling, to have something you’ve worked so hard for taken away. The grades I didn’t include weren’t bad (they were all 2.1+), I was just told it was not necessary to put them down. It's even worse being accused by their grad rec of dishonesty and 'stealing someones place at interview', when I explained that I followed the advice they gave me.

Just some advice to people here, to ensure you avoid being in my situation:
  1. Be aware of the policy of law firms to include all grades - I’m sure most people know this, but I was uncertain about this at the time I made my application, which is why I asked for clarification at the open day.
  2. Be very wary of what grad rec say. Most of them are extremely friendly and informative. But it just takes one piece of bad advice to land you in my position.
Best of luck to everyone applying!

Last edited:

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
Just been disqualified from a US firm's application process post interview, whilst they were in the process of making me an offer. The grounds for disqualification were that my module grades I entered on the application form did not match my transcript. I didn’t falsify any information but didn’t include some optional modules. I did this as I received explicit advice on their open day from Grad Rec that ‘it is not necessary to put down modules that don’t count to your final classification’. I'd also note that I'm on track for a first class grade at university - so my grades wouldn't have held me back.

It’s a horrible feeling, to have something you’ve worked so hard for taken away. The grades I didn’t include weren’t bad (they were all 2.1+), I was just told it was not necessary to put them down. It's even worse being accused consistently by their grad rec of dishonesty and 'stealing someones place at interview', when I explained that I followed the advice they gave me.

1. Be aware of the policy of law firms to include all grades - I’m sure most people know this, but I was uncertain about this at the time I made my application, which is why I asked for clarification at the open day.
  2. Be very wary of what grad rec say. Most of them are extremely friendly and informative. But it just takes one piece of bad advice to land you in my position.
Wow :(

Reactions: EFox and Holly

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

It’s a horrible feeling, to have something you’ve worked so hard for taken away. The grades I didn’t include weren’t bad (they were all 2.1+), I was just told it was not necessary to put them down. It's even worse being accused consistently by their grad rec of dishonesty and 'stealing someones place at interview', when I explained that I followed the advice they gave me.

Wow, that’s brave of you to share, I can only imagine how tough that must be.

This sounds strange though given they told you not to put it down at the open day - Were there a lot of grades you didn’t include?

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019

This sounds strange though given they told you not to put it down at the open day - Were there a lot of grades you didn’t include?

It is really tough - especially as I was so invested in this firm in particular. It just feels incredibly unfair on my end, and I don't like the way they put me down/spoke to me. Whilst it feels bad now, I will probably come to think I've dodged a bullet in the future.

I didn't include 4 modules. These were modules I had elected outside the core curriculum in my university.

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019

Im now wondering if not including a career mgt module that’s on my transcript but shows grade unknown, N/A because I didn’t participate in it is necessary

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Im now wondering if not including a career mgt module that’s on my transcript but shows grade unknown, N/A because I didn’t participate in it is necessary

All modules should be included.

If they are on your transcript, include them and just explain they are not graded.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019

They disqualified you because you didn’t put down all of your module grades? How is that the same as they don’t match?

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    All modules should be included.

If they are on your transcript, include them and just explain they are not graded.
    If I did a semester abroad, how would I write down my module grades if it’s just a pass on my transcript- would I say ‘pass’ for the semester abroad as a whole or write individual modules I did on the abroad and write pass for each individual one(even though it doesn’t say it on my transcript). Sorry if that’s confusing lol!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Literally at a loss for words...

That's absolutely brutal - I'm so sorry :(

I assume you tried to explain and offered to send them the complete list of modules?

It's not like you've done a Mike Ross and falsified an entire Harvard Law Degree...

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    Literally at a loss for words...

That's absolutely brutal - I'm so sorry :(

I assume you tried to explain and offered to send them the complete list of modules?

It's not like you've done a Mike Ross and falsified an entire Harvard Law Degree...

Thanks for your kindness.

Honestly I did everything I could. I offered the help of my university and tutor who were supportive of me. I spoke to them at depth about the advice and whom I received it from at the open day. I even tried to speak about the nature of the modules in that they weren’t actually part of my degree itself.

None of it was met with any welcome. I understand have their own official policy of ensuring consistency - but it does seem like they amplified it and added some unnecessary accusations. I’ve also been barred from ever applying again to that firm!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.