General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

E

Feb 5, 2020
I am waiting as well! Applied to the summer vac scheme though! Feels like there is plenty of people that have received a rejection or offer already. Not sure if we are being put on hold?

I haven't heard anyone being offered but I honestly have no clue. But with the spring scheme starting in a couple of weeks time....... :/

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Does anyone know how to improve in the written exercise? My feedback was that although my letter was good I calculated the maths wrong.
I knew this while I was doing it because they gave the original price but asked to use the fair price in calculation. Because i didn’t know how to calculate the fair price I used the original price to get to my answer. I know this was wrong but how would I improve - is there any practice examples on written exercises? I feel like my main area of improvement is definitely getting my head around what they’re asking :s
If anyone has any advice I’d really appreciate it, thank you!

thelegalsieve

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Feb 4, 2020
I'd like some insight regarding this - I understand that some Direct TC deadlines don't close till July, but do people normally apply for a TC in this March period? Would it be worthwhile doing so? The firm in question is Latham.

Secondly, would there be any value in mentioning an incoming Vacation Scheme for Latham in another country when applying to Latham's London office? Or would this be akin to opening a can of worms?

Frank

Valued Member
Dec 12, 2018
I'd like some insight regarding this - I understand that some Direct TC deadlines don't close till July, but do people normally apply for a TC in this March period? Would it be worthwhile doing so? The firm in question is Latham.

Secondly, would there be any value in mentioning an incoming Vacation Scheme for Latham in another country when applying to Latham's London office? Or would this be akin to opening a can of worms?

a. Yes, why not - useful for you because you finish tasks earlier; I know firms that even though their deadline is in late summer, they're still reviewing apps despite that they 'don't recruit on a rolling basis'.

b. Why do you think that's a problem? Is the UK the best place for VS in the world? You need work experience, you will have work experience, that's what you need. PS: they like this sort of 'international' exposure, so it's better for you. It really doesn't matter where you go because what you'll essentially be doing is to look over contracts, so it doesn't make an actual difference. I used my VS on the continent myself and no one commented anything. Gl hf

hktr

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 10, 2019
Does anyone know how to improve in the written exercise? My feedback was that although my letter was good I calculated the maths wrong.
I knew this while I was doing it because they gave the original price but asked to use the fair price in calculation. Because i didn’t know how to calculate the fair price I used the original price to get to my answer. I know this was wrong but how would I improve - is there any practice examples on written exercises? I feel like my main area of improvement is definitely getting my head around what they’re asking :s

Try to familiarise yourself with the kinds of documents that you'll be dealing with in written exercises (employment contracts, loan agreements, term sheets, balance sheets etc). If you know your way around these documents in general terms, it becomes a bit easier to navigate them and find the relevant information on the day. Overall, try to find a good balance between accuracy and efficiency - easier said than done of course! But for example, if you're having trouble figuring out how to calculate something, go (swiftly) over the information pack again to see if you've missed anything.

Reactions: Eva and Jaysen

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
What did you have to calculate exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.