General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmee DC

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jan 17, 2019
If you applied to katten & you’re an international student then.. there’s no point as they don’t sponsor. They just emailed me and I had to confirm. Sucks too because they said they were very impressed by my application. One of the most depressing things ever

As an international student, I understand the struggle. However, I do know two people who were the first international student that their specific firm ever sponsored so it is possible! PM me and maybe I can give you some tips!

Reactions: Pallatablelawyer

Roland

Distinguished Member
Jan 10, 2019
If you applied to katten & you’re an international student then.. there’s no point as they don’t sponsor. They just emailed me and I had to confirm. Sucks too because they said they were very impressed by my application. One of the most depressing things ever
When did you apply to Katten may I ask? Thanks!

thelegalsieve

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Feb 4, 2020
a. Yes, why not - useful for you because you finish tasks earlier; I know firms that even though their deadline is in late summer, they're still reviewing apps despite that they 'don't recruit on a rolling basis'.

b. Why do you think that's a problem? Is the UK the best place for VS in the world? You need work experience, you will have work experience, that's what you need. PS: they like this sort of 'international' exposure, so it's better for you. It really doesn't matter where you go because what you'll essentially be doing is to look over contracts, so it doesn't make an actual difference. I used my VS on the continent myself and no one commented anything. Gl hf
Thanks man

• 🤝
Reactions: Frank

Popal

Distinguished Member
Feb 25, 2020
For Fieldfisher direct TC applicants, I got a VI invitation today so they are still considering applicants. There’s a London assessment centre at the end of March. Hope this helps ☺️

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'd like some insight regarding this - I understand that some Direct TC deadlines don't close till July, but do people normally apply for a TC in this March period? Would it be worthwhile doing so? The firm in question is Latham.

Secondly, would there be any value in mentioning an incoming Vacation Scheme for Latham in another country when applying to Latham's London office? Or would this be akin to opening a can of worms?

very few people apply at this time of year due to exams... most applications will come in the summer

Reactions: Daniel Boden

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
This is very smart and helpful, thanks so much! I feel stupid now, even though a lot of other people made the same mistake but just very annoying in hindsight!

no honestly don’t because everyone found that the hardest. i think going forward it’s best to strictly follow what is written on the contract/agreement that’s given to us and if this requires re-reading the same thing over and over again, so be it! good luck for future apps x

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.