General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Wu

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2018
wait.. Orrick cancelled or postponed? That's so unfortunate if they totally cancelled them :eek::eek:

"In light of the recent outbreak of coronavirus in the UK and Europe the Firm has taken the decision to postpone our 2020 Open Days. I apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, however we have taken this decision in light of recent government advice to ensure the safety of both applicants and internal employees... We will keep the situation under review and hope to re-schedule our Open Days for later this year, or run alternative assessments for training contracts. I'm afraid though we do not have timelines for this at the moment as it will depend on how the situation develops."

• ℹ️
Reactions: Helena

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
A fairly random query:

SO I have an interview tomorrow... and I was wondering if someone could advise me on hair... haha. I have never had any issue with it before but starting to panic about it a little.

So my hair is a big part of who I am and I really don't want to have to change it- and it's not natural coloured but it's not "outlandish", it's a dark purple at the bottom. Should I just bite the bullet and go in with it the way it is or should I change it and make it stand out less?

bel123456

Valued Member
Jan 24, 2020
A fairly random query:

SO I have an interview tomorrow... and I was wondering if someone could advise me on hair... haha. I have never had any issue with it before but starting to panic about it a little.

So my hair is a big part of who I am and I really don't want to have to change it- and it's not natural coloured but it's not "outlandish", it's a dark purple at the bottom. Should I just bite the bullet and go in with it the way it is or should I change it and make it stand out less?
Tie it up into a bun! Easy solution!

WinnieAnn

Standard Member
Jan 6, 2020
Hey guys, it seems like a silly question but if you send an email to grad rec asking for an update on your app and they give you one along the lines of they'll give feedback closer to the deadline. Do you usually email back thanking them for the response?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
A fairly random query:

How purple?

Could you tie it up/back to hide it?

MarkLaw

Standard Member
Feb 13, 2020
Has anyone done a PwC AC for their vac scheme who would be willing to let me know about the general structure of the day? Really difficult to find info on their AC process :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys, it seems like a silly question but if you send an email to grad rec asking for an update on your app and they give you one along the lines of they'll give feedback closer to the deadline. Do you usually email back thanking them for the response?

Please don't..... All it does is create more emails

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks dan! Sorry another question lol but if I’m not able to secure a TC by 2021 summer, will I be able to wait a year until 2022 to do the LPC if I don’t want to self fund it

You could BUT it depends on the firm you start your TC with. Some may ask you to take the SQE rather than the LPC.

Reactions: M1999 and Daniel Boden

csyn

Star Member
Feb 3, 2020
Has anyone heard back from stephenson harwood? applied a day before the deadline, and am starting to wonder whether i should just concede to the fact that I've been ghosted?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Being pragmatic is definitely key but I just think in the same sense people can be pragmatic about acquiring the skills and experiences required to land a TC at those firms without resorting to firms they’re not necessarily interested in. I would in fact argue that being pragmatic would be recognising how difficult it would be for someone to join a top city firm as an NQ if they trained at ‘lesser’ or regional firms since there would still be so much competition from other NQs (both from smaller and city firms) trying to join those firms. I’d instead advise them to continue applying whilst ensuring they’re doing everything they can to improve.
    Totally agree regarding your self-improvement point but to be clear I wasn't talking about moving over necessarily as an NQ but more so after 4/5/6/7 years when you've built up a bit of a reputation in whatever field you are in. There are plenty of examples of people who have done that and then had very successful careers in the city so I'd encourage people not to necessarily immediately dismiss those options...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.