Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

@Jessica Booker - how long should your answer to an interview question be? I'm a bit confused as I know it shouldn't be too long, but how do you know the cut off point making sure it's not too short?

Thank you very much.

This is a "how long is a piece of string" question...

There is no fixed time... It depends on the nature of the question, the complexity of the question (does it just need a yes/no answer, does it need explaining etc), the complexity of the answer, and the nature of the interview.

But put it this way, in more cases than not, if you answer is more than 2 minutes long, it is probably too long.

Reactions: Jaysen and Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Again just a pre-emptive step, but Norton Rose Fulbright is asking staff to work a 4 day week: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-day-week-in-response-to-covid-19-crisis/amp/.

Not surprised to hear this - I expect many law firms (and other businesses) will may move to this model (or maybe even three days a week). If it was me and I had reassurances it was for an interim period, I would snatch their hand off on this. 80% (or 60%) of your salary is a lot better than 0% of your salary.

Reactions: Jaysen

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hey guys, just to let you know I’ve seen a couple of things on LinkedIn today, one being a a virtual internship offered by White & Case (don’t think this is actually new as such but I hadn’t heard of it before) and also Hogan Lovells hosted a webinar on the subject of how insurance policies will respond to Covid-19. Just wanted to flag as I think now would be a good time to follow some of the firms you might not do already on social media and LinkedIn to see what they’re offering at the moment in terms of content and careers focused things. Obviously, there is absolutely no need to do this or engage with these offerings but just letting you guys know in case these sorts of things would be of interest in the coming weeks :)

Shaz

Distinguished Member
Sep 29, 2019
Hey guys, just to let you know I’ve seen a couple of things on LinkedIn today, one being a a virtual internship offered by White & Case (don’t think this is actually new as such but I hadn’t heard of it before) and also Hogan Lovells hosted a webinar on the subject of how insurance policies will respond to Covid-19. Just wanted to flag as I think now would be a good time to follow some of the firms you might not do already on social media and LinkedIn to see what they’re offering at the moment in terms of content and careers focused things. Obviously, there is absolutely no need to do this or engage with these offerings but just letting you guys know in case these sorts of things would be of interest in the coming weeks :)
Those are really good resources! I think Linklaters also hold a virtual internship on the same platform as White & Case's so it would be a good opportunity to knock two out during quarantine.

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Those are really good resources! I think Linklaters also hold a virtual internship on the same platform as White & Case's so it would be a good opportunity to knock two out during quarantine.
Absolutely! And they’re absolutely things that I would personally put on my apps- maybe in their own section entitled virtual internships and giving an overview of what you learnt from each :)

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
Absolutely! And they’re absolutely things that I would personally put on my apps- maybe in their own section entitled virtual internships and giving an overview of what you learnt from each :)

Latham & Watkins also has one specific to M&A. I’ve enrolled to all 3 and do them in my own time, all very enjoyable too!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Latham & Watkins also has one specific to M&A. I’ve enrolled to all 3 and do them in my own time, all very enjoyable too!
Fantastic! I hadn’t heard of this- thank you for the tip! Really appreciate all you guys sharing these resources and tips to help us all at this time- thank you :)

Ayo Babatunde

Star Member
Oct 18, 2019
Is anybody still waiting to hear back from DAC Beachcroft following the VI (the one that had a deadline on 31/01)?
I see more people getting invites now but here I am wondering whether the VI that I did back in January actually got lost :p

(my application is still pending, so I'm still hoping for good news!)

I am still waiting to hear back from DACB! Yeah I did the VI in January also, so hopefully they have not been lost haha:D. Hopefully we will hear back this month!

• ℹ️
Reactions: D95

Jason S

Distinguished Member
Apr 3, 2020
I am still waiting to hear back from DACB! Yeah I did the VI in January also, so hopefully they have not been lost haha:D. Hopefully we will hear back this month!

They seemed to have done the recruitment process in two different stages with many people receiving invites in January, and the others in March. I received my VI invite at the beginning of March and in my email it said that the deadline to submit it is the 10th April, after which they will be reviewed and we’ll hear back. I imagine they may have already reviewed the submissions of earlier candidates and are waiting till after the 10th to respond ?

E

Feb 5, 2020
Hi there, I'm doing my research for BCLP's TC application and am struggling to find their "what we look for" bit. Is anyone able to help me out? Thank you!!!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi there, I'm doing my research for BCLP's TC application and am struggling to find their "what we look for" bit. Is anyone able to help me out? Thank you!!!
I haven't got experience with BCLP, but if they do not have this on their website, it may be an idea to look for interviews with any of their personnel on the subject of graduate recruitment to see if that sheds any light. Or I also find that Youtube and social media can be good resources as you can often get a sense of a firm through them and they may even have promotional materials directed at helping candidates to understand what they look for.

Reactions: E and Jaysen

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018

Could we get a thread that lists the current online opportunities? I'd certainly like to hop into some webinars and have a listen and it'd be great to have the resources in one place!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.