General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 8, 2019
Should applicants currently completing direct TC applications be worried about vacation schemers being offered TCs? And do you think other firms will follow suit? I read that CC is holding online classes in replacement for their vacation scheme.
Any opinion on that would be much appreciated:)

Indeed - although the article suggests “the majority” were offered TCs, which we don’t think is accurate.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Should applicants currently completing direct TC applications be worried about vacation schemers being offered TCs? And do you think other firms will follow suit? I read that CC is holding online classes in replacement for their vacation scheme.
Any opinion on that would be much appreciated:)

In no different way than they should have been if the vacation schemes took place.

Some firms whose vacation scheme recruitment process replicates the TC process may make direct offers. But even then it would only be to candidates they were exceptionally confident would meet the benchmark.

When you assess vacation scheme candidates you ultimately are looking for different things (you can be a bit more open minded/take more risks with VS candidates).

You can’t do that with TCs - the level of investment is far too high to take a punt on someone.

Some firms will just recruit later though - I wouldn’t expect all firms to make VS candidate direct TC offers instead. For those firms that do choose this route, it will only be a proportion of training contracts they offer anyway.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Do you expect other firms to start following suit?
I don’t think anyone can answer this right now. This is unprecedented so very hard to predict what firms will do and firms will not be releasing this information until it’s all absolutely decided and set in stone. Unfortunately, hard as it is, it’s just a case of waiting to see what firms will do.

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 8, 2019
In no different way than they should have been if the vacation schemes took place.

Some firms whose vacation scheme recruitment process replicates the TC process may make direct offers. But even then it would only be to candidates they were exceptionally confident would meet the benchmark.

When you assess vacation scheme candidates you ultimately are looking for different things (you can be a bit more open minded/take more risks with VS candidates).

You can’t do that with TCs - the level of investment is far too high to take a punt on someone.

Some firms will just recruit later though - I wouldn’t expect all firms to make VS candidate direct TC offers instead. For those firms that do choose this route, it will only be a proportion of training contracts they offer anyway.
Thank you Jessica :)

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Hi everyone. Has anyone done a personal statement for a masters in law (qualifying). I need to get my app out there but I’m worrying about getting rejected. It’s at ULAW

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone. Has anyone done a personal statement for a masters in law (qualifying). I need to get my app out there but I’m worrying about getting rejected. It’s at ULAW

Is it a GDL or LPC MA? If so, I wouldn’t really worry too much about it. Just make sure it is reasonably well written and you will be fine (they don’t fill these courses)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi Jessica,

What would be the best way to answer in an interview your biggest failure without making it seem too detrimental?

Thank you again!
Hi there,
just thought I’d chip in on this briefly. I’ve always just been honest when answering this question. I don’t think you can say anything too detrimental provided you can show genuine reflection and convey what the experience taught you. It’s always best to perhaps discuss what you do now or would do to ensure it didn’t happen again. Failure isn’t a bad thing or something to be scared of discussing (though I appreciate It can be tough) - things in the legal world don’t always go to plan. Being resilient, dealing with failure and being able to reflect on it are great qualities and I always think authenticity is best- that’s the same for greatest weakness questions too.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

What would be the best way to answer in an interview your biggest failure without making it seem too detrimental?

Thank you again!

focusing on what you learnt from the experience/how you have developed from it.

you are going to fail a lot as a lawyer, so it isn’t always a bad thing to show you have developed resilience and self awareness from past failures. In fact, people who haven’t failed much in life tend to not be cut out for law.

BGBlaw

Standard Member
Feb 6, 2020
Hi guys,
I'm filling in an application now & there's space for 6 examples of legal work experience, but you can't delete any of them & you have to write something in the boxes in order to move on to the next page. I only have 2 examples of direct legal work experience - would you recommend putting N/A in the other boxes?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.