General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
You can technically ask for it.. they can just still say no...

Although I don't think in this instance it is worth it, technically you could put in a SAR to request the feedback.
SARs are useful but don't they make extra work for grad rec and possibly lead to an applicant being viewed less favourably if they were to reapply? Just a concern I have.

E.A

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2019
Rejected from FF too. Quite disheartening when I thought it was strong and I got through to WG last cycle when my personal statement was not as good as this personal statement (have gained extensive experience since and got it good feedback from associates who reviewed it). Oh well, shows that sometimes it doesn't work even when you genuinely know you are a 'better candidate'. Just have to keep going then :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
SARs are useful but don't they make extra work for grad rec and possibly lead to an applicant being viewed less favourably if they were to reapply? Just a concern I have.

Would have to rely on Grad Rec recording that detail, remembering the name, and then being petty enough to apply that thinking.

Obviously a risk though (which is why I said it probably isn't worth it on this occasion, along with the fact the feedback could be vague/unhelpful even when you do get it).

Just stating the facts about you could technically ask for feedback through a SAR and the firm would have to provide it! A firm would probably then just give the feedback and try to stop you from doing the SAR because of the additional work needed for SAR, compared to just providing feedback.

Mia97

Jul 16, 2019
Rejected from FF too. Quite disheartening when I thought it was strong and I got through to WG last cycle when my personal statement was not as good as this personal statement (have gained extensive experience since and got it good feedback from associates who reviewed it). Oh well, shows that sometimes it doesn't work even when you genuinely know you are a 'better candidate'. Just have to keep going then :)

I totally agree ! I remember last year I didn't get to WG for FF but my friend did and went onto AC. When I viewed at her app afterwards I was shocked. It was littered with typos, she had spelt the firm name wrong and included lots of generic statements e.g. "I want to work at FF as it is Magic Circle firm and has big M&A deals " . Plus she had no legal experience- however great grades.

Was frustrating at the time but ultimately I really believe rejections redirect us to the right firm for us. Ended up much happier with the TC offer I have now- so please keep going xxx

E.A

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2019
I totally agree ! I remember last year I didn't get to WG for FF but my friend did and went onto AC. When I viewed at her app afterwards I was shocked. It was littered with typos, she had spelt the firm name wrong and included lots of generic statements e.g. "I want to work at FF as it is Magic Circle firm and has big M&A deals " . Plus she had no legal experience- however great grades.

Was frustrating at the time but ultimately I really believe rejections redirect us to the right firm for us. Ended up much happier with the TC offer I have now- so please keep going xxx

Thank you for sharing that! Yes, I have also heard of people getting through with typos and there is no doubt it is frustrating when you put weeks into writing an app. But, as you said, everything does happen for a reason, and I guess it is also important to remember that there is quite a bit of luck involved and a numbers game too. Thanks for sharing and well done on your TC xx

• 🤝
Reactions: T.W

madge

Standard Member
Aug 8, 2020
It is possible, but very, very difficult, and I'd definitely query the "many" bit of what you've read. The point is that naturally commercial law isn't everyone's cup of tea - the subject matter, the hours and so on dissuade a lot of people. On top of that, a lot of people really don't understand exactly what a commercial lawyer does when they first think of applying.

From a firm's point of view, it's much better that if they make you a TC offer - a costly and time-consuming process, - you already have evidence that you already have some semblance of an idea of what the work/life of a corporate lawyer is, so you are less likely to drop out or cause havoc by falling behind on work, will require less unnecessary handholding, and so on. Having a VS at a commercial law firm shows that at least in part you can handle this life and have an understanding of what goes on/what is expected of you.

I know two people who managed to get a TC without a VS first: one had done a stack of mini-pupillages at some of the top commercial barristers' chambers, the other had interned at the ICC. It's not impossible, but it really isn't very common either.

The other point of the "many people" is exactly where they got offered a TC. This isn't meant in a snobbish sense, just that some smaller and less elaborate firms might be more willing to do this than a Moneylaw/MC/SC/WS firm, which was probably what the blog (and most people on this forum/legalcheek commenters etc) are thinking of.

Lastly, it's worth remembering that quite a few firms exclusively recruit from their vac schemes (Davis Polk, Jones Day, HSF, Ropes & Gray, Shearman & Sterling, etc); theoretically recruit from outside their VS but don't in reality (Skadden, Kirkland & Ellis); or give the overwhelming majority of their offers to vac schemers (Linklaters & the rest of the MC), so your odds of getting a TC by direct application range from comparatively slim to zilch.

Thank you for your in depth response! Thanks everyone for their responses, it’s been really helpful.

Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Would have to rely on Grad Rec recording that detail, remembering the name, and then being petty enough to apply that thinking.

Obviously a risk though (which is why I said it probably isn't worth it on this occasion, along with the fact the feedback could be vague/unhelpful even when you do get it).

Just stating the facts about you could technically ask for feedback through a SAR and the firm would have to provide it! A firm would probably then just give the feedback and try to stop you from doing the SAR because of the additional work needed for SAR, compared to just providing feedback.
Although I'd hope showing the initiative to use FOIs or Subject Access Requests could count in our favour

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.