General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 5185

I know how you feel believe me!
I spent the whole afternoon on the bed thinking about my rejections. But there is nothing I can do about them..they are the past! So ask yourself what can I do about the future?
My girlfriend just told me that I can’t give up so easily! My applications have improved so much over the past months..the applications I sent in April are shit (sorry) compared to those I sent in July. This means there is room for improvement. I can do better and I will do better! I know that I can describe my skills differently!!
I could not understand a damn thing about commercial awareness (dyslexia is a beast at times) well this morning I was explaining the asset based lending obtained by superdry.
We can do it..let’s just focus on what we can improve and how!!

Yes we can!!

You’ve actually taught me something new so thank you ! I feel like we are all living different versions of the same life here :) thank you for sharing this.

• 🤝
Reactions: T.W, Eva and Daniel Boden

ml

Aug 13, 2020
Hey guys need some advice, I had a short VS interview and panicked during one of the questions, should I add on points in a follow up email or would that draw attention to my answer that was given? Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys need some advice, I had a short VS interview and panicked during one of the questions, should I add on points in a follow up email or would that draw attention to my answer that was given? Thank you

No don’t do it. They can’t consider it anyway (as a matter of fairness to other candidates).

1) you are assuming you screwed up
2) you are assuming the assessors decided everything on that one question

Selggib16

Star Member
Jul 20, 2019
I have noticed on the Clifford Chance website that for the 2023 training contract if you are a graduate and not in your penultimate year of study, your application will not be prioritised and you cannot take the Watson Glaser until they confirm if you can apply. This was not the case last year, I wonder if this has been implemented as a response to the current economy? As a new graduate this is a bit disheartening and I am not sure if there is point applying - especially since I interviewed last cycle and was unsuccessful at the case study stage.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have noticed on the Clifford Chance website that for the 2023 training contract if you are a graduate and not in your penultimate year of study, your application will not be prioritised and you cannot take the Watson Glaser until they confirm if you can apply. This was not the case last year, I wonder if this has been implemented as a response to the current economy? As a new graduate this is a bit disheartening and I am not sure if there is point applying - especially since interviewed last cycle and was unsuccessful at the case study stage.

you might want to read this thread - there is a video from Clifford Chance explaining the reasons for this decision too. It’s not actually a new thing, it’s just that they are being more transparent about it.

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/clifford-chance-tc.2511/page-2#post-33460

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I actually disagree, I am not applying to A&O because they would never hire me, but I had a look at the app. The new law question is actually linked to the firm. It is a commercial awareness question and therefore you have to analyse what’s the firm’s position in regards to that particular topic. For example, recent low interest rate so increase in M&A deals. However, this might by a bluff because of possible second interview wave and we are in recession. Clients may turn their backs to deals and explore other infrastructure opportunities. How is A&O positioned? A&O (from what I remember) is ranked Tier 1 in private m&a deals so In case the m&a magic goes on they are well positioned. Moreover, they are also quite good with restructuring so in cases there are no mergers but closures then they are ready. Plus, many of the corporate nq could be used in the restructuring departments. Finally, clients may also want to spend less. How can A&O help? A&O has tech hub so works alongside many startups who could offer more for less.

I do not know if my analysis is correct maybe ask @Daniel Boden or @Alice G

The question asks if you could create a new law what would it be and why - unless your new law is to permanently fix low interest rates then I'm not sure your analysis answers the question?

PSM

Esteemed Member
    Aug 9, 2019
    Hi everyone,

This time last year I was rejected for a TC after completing a vacation scheme at a firm I already worked at.. it left me really deflated and unmotivated. I thought a TC would just always be out of reach.

Fast forward a year, I have today been offered a TC at Pinsent Masons!!! I could not have picked up the motivation to start applications again without the help of TCLA and so many of the wonderful individuals on here. So a huge huge thanks to everyone on here!

Resilience really is key and I truly believe everyone will get there eventually!! to anyone struggling with motivation, KEEP GOING!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi everyone,

This time last year I was rejected for a TC after completing a vacation scheme at a firm I already worked at.. it left me really deflated and unmotivated. I thought a TC would just always be out of reach.

Fast forward a year, I have today been offered a TC at Pinsent Masons!!! I could not have picked up the motivation to start applications again without the help of TCLA and so many of the wonderful individuals on here. So a huge huge thanks to everyone on here!

Resilience really is key and I truly believe everyone will get there eventually!! to anyone struggling with motivation, KEEP GOING!
    Huge congrats! Absolutely delighted for you :D

avocadotoast

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 15, 2020
    Hi everyone,

This is such an amazing success story, I'm literally smiling like *I* got the TC loool

Congratulations!!!

Reactions: JayB, Ifmhouse4 and Chido

Simon Evans

Apr 28, 2020
    Hi everyone,

Huge congratulations!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.