General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
I have just received an AC invite from FF and I am over the moon!

A while a back I carried out a VS with Stephenson Harwood and did not convert it into a TC so, naturally, I felt quite deflated. I powered through and submitted some applications despite feeling hopeless. I took a breather away from applications, checking portals etc. throughout July and Aug and began enjoying the simple things in life like the weather, going for walks etc. It sounds silly but I now feel very refreshed and I am ready to put my all into my upcoming AC (and any others that may follow). Even if I don't get a TC this year, there's always next year!

I guess this post serves to echo what others have said on here: this whole process is like a marathon and it's okay to take a step back, breathe and gain perspective.

Good luck everyone :)

Congratulations! I really appreciate the sentiment behind the last sentence!

• 🤝
Reactions: DW

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Re Dentons..I am reluctant to get in touch with them again. I, am very anxious to hear back but I also know that they are going through a lot (redundancies)
They will reject me at the right time lol

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Re Dentons..I am reluctant to get in touch with them again. I, am very anxious to hear back but I also know that they are going through a lot (redundancies)
They will reject me at the right time lol
It sounds like no one has heard back so I am sure they will get back to us with an update soon!

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Just to confirm the part re Slaughters. They got back to you a week later than initially and you *got* the Spring VS?

No haha basically

The person I was replying to, said a firm will reply to them this week. I wanted to confirm it was Slaughters(as I wasn't tied in the original conversation). I gave my own perspective, I contacted Slaughters (in Feb) about their spring scheme, and they said they will reply to all candidates during that week, where I sent an email. They rejected me a week later, if that makes sense?

• ℹ️
Reactions: avocadotoast

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 26, 2019
I'm still waiting to hear from Macfarlanes, Slaughter and May (applied January), Covington and Burling and White & Case.

I was hoping to hear back this week. Feel like I am just waiting for the rejection emails.

Reactions: cgs97

G1996

May 5, 2020
Hi all :)

I haven't been massively vocal on this forum but have found it such a welcoming, supportive community nonetheless. I had a final interview for BCLP this morning and received a call about two hours later offering me the TC!!! Thank you all so much for being open and honest about your experiences - I've found it so valuable knowing that there are other people going through this tough process. If you have not subscribed already, I can honestly say that the TCLA materials and services are fantastic and I cannot recommend them enough, from the application checker to the wide range of guides.

For anyone having a rough time - stick at it!! I cannot (and frankly, do not wish to) count how many rejections I've received over the last year. It just takes one firm to make everything happen! Although I have never met a single one of you, it has been a real pleasure participating in this forum and I sincerely wish you all the success you deserve! Happy Friday everyone - you've got this!!! :D:D:D:D

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

I haven't been massively vocal on this forum but have found it such a welcoming, supportive community nonetheless. I had a final interview for BCLP this morning and received a call about two hours later offering me the TC!!! Thank you all so much for being open and honest about your experiences - I've found it so valuable knowing that there are other people going through this tough process. If you have not subscribed already, I can honestly say that the TCLA materials and services are fantastic and I cannot recommend them enough, from the application checker to the wide range of guides.

For anyone having a rough time - stick at it!! I cannot (and frankly, do not wish to) count how many rejections I've received over the last year. It just takes one firm to make everything happen! Although I have never met a single one of you, it has been a real pleasure participating in this forum and I sincerely wish you all the success you deserve! Happy Friday everyone - you've got this!!! :D:D:D:D

Such a nice post, you should be really proud of yourself - well done!

Reactions: G1996
    D

Deleted member 5185

That’s fantastic ! Many congratulations! :)

frow3n

Distinguished Member
    Aug 19, 2019
    Has anyone heard back from (London direct TC) Covington, Kirkland, Sidley Austin, Goodwin Procter, Debevoise, Vinson & Elkins, Macfarlanes, Weil, AG and Travers

Hope everyone is doing well! Very grateful for this community :)

Still waiting on Covington, Macfarlanes & AG. May be worth checking the application portal on AG as I didn’t receive any emails there when I last applied, only to find I’d been rejected for two weeks before I looked!

Reactions: LawMadeInOven

avocadotoast

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 15, 2020
    So Slaughters just got back to me and said my application is still under consideration and that I'll hear back "in the next 2-3 weeks". Pretty sure I will have pulled off all my hair by then, but I guess I'm just going to have to keep waiting!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Amazing - congratulations!!!

avocadotoast

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 15, 2020
    Still waiting on Covington, Macfarlanes & AG. May be worth checking the application portal on AG as I didn’t receive any emails there when I last applied, only to find I’d been rejected for two weeks before I looked!

This happened to me! It's so weird that they don't send rejection emails. As heartwrenching as they are to receive, it's better than having to log in and be let down lol

Reactions: LawMadeInOven

TLC20

Standard Member
    Mar 15, 2020
    So Slaughters just got back to me and said my application is still under consideration and that I'll hear back "in the next 2-3 weeks". Pretty sure I will have pulled off all my hair by then, but I guess I'm just going to have to keep waiting!

Still in the running so keep calm and await good news. I just heard back from them rejection - applied in Jan!

• 🤝
    Reactions: T.W, EA and avocadotoast

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Rejection from Addleshaw Goddard, with a side of 5 mins of tears and wondering whether I'll ever crack this TC thing :( I had to log into their portal and check the correspondence for an update, as I haven't been getting their emails directly (I know others on here have had the same issue).

Rejection from Addleshaw Goddard! Hope everyone hears back soon!

Just noticed I also received a rejection for Manchester on Wednesday. Bit gutted, given how much time I put into this one, and how many experiences I've had with the firm. But I know from LinkedIn that they've already filled a lot of their TC spots through the vac scheme. So hey ho!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Huge congrats! Thrilled for you :D

avocadotoast

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jun 15, 2020
    Just noticed I also received a rejection for Manchester on Wednesday. Bit gutted, given how much time I put into this one, and how many experiences I've had with the firm. But I know from LinkedIn that they've already filled a lot of their TC spots through the vac scheme. So hey ho!

I completely relate! I genuinely really liked AG and loved their Manchester office, so logging in and seeing that "application unsuccessful" really hit me hard. It was also my best application but it is what it is I guess...

Despite that, I encourage you to keep going! You're bound to be successful!! Seeing everyone else here succeed is what's keeping me going atm lool

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.