General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jul 29, 2019
I got the impression that they will be holding the first round interviews for the direct TC applicants and then doing call backs for the VS and the TC streams together, but I didn't ask for an exact timescale.

Yes that would be amazing! Good luck to us both :D I am also waiting for Forsters but I read on TCLA somewhere that they wont be holding interviews until they can do so in person.

I am pretty sure that VS and direct TC applicants were pooled for the same first interview times. I remember my interviewer being under the impression I initially applied for a direct TC (!)

And re Fosters I think you're right - I also heard they have pushed back their TC scheduled with no timeline as of yet.

Law2022

Legendary Member
May 3, 2020
Rejection from AG - came through two minutes ago on the portal. Honestly their rejection email feels a bit nastier than others I've received - very much comes across more patronising and "you, personally, are not good enough" than other firms. Onwards and upwards I suppose.
Did your rejection email talk about taking an unsuccessful copy to your careers advisor to see what went wrong? I have never had that in a rejection email before!

Reactions: ath120

c1070

Esteemed Member
Mar 4, 2020
Waiting on: WFH, Forsters, Faegre, Paul Hastings, Goodwin, AG, TLT, Trowers, Weil, Maples Teesdale

Heard back:
  • Positive: Stephenson Harwood (interview), Sharpe Pritchard (interview), Edwin Coe (interview)
  • Negative: Sullivan & Cromwell (rejection), Dorsey (rejection), Payne Hicks Beach (rejection), K&L Gates (post-test rejection).
Not sure if it's the same for others, but I haven't heard back from most of my applications. It has only been a few weeks since the TC deadline though. If anyone does have any updates though it would be appreciated! :)

Best of luck to everyone!
Hey, I had a place on the forsters VS and it was cancelled, they said they would convert it to a final round TC interview instead but want to do them in person so they’d be towards the end of this year potentially next, so presumably that’s why you haven’t heard anything yet as they’re waiting until they have a confirmed date to reply to direct TC applicants!

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Did your rejection email talk about taking an unsuccessful copy to your careers advisor to see what went wrong? I have never had that in a rejection email before!
Yeah. To be honest, it felt like "Here are five really basic things we expect from an application: academics; transferable skills; commercial awareness; desire to be a lawyer and attention to detail . Your application was missing at least one of them (and therefore you are substandard). If you're absolutely adamant on pursuing this career (when you're clearly not good enough) consider getting some professional help."
I think they were probably just trying to be helpful but anyone with a braincell knows a firm is looking for those things and that a careers advisor can help so it was just a bit patronising.
It's like when you're being dumped and they say "it's not you, it's me", most firms say "applications were all very strong". AG appear to have said "it's you, it's absolutely you - go see a therapist" haha.

EMD

Aug 13, 2020
Waiting on: WFH, Forsters, Faegre, Paul Hastings, Goodwin, AG, TLT, Trowers, Weil, Maples Teesdale

Heard back:
  • Positive: Stephenson Harwood (interview), Sharpe Pritchard (interview), Edwin Coe (interview)
  • Negative: Sullivan & Cromwell (rejection), Dorsey (rejection), Payne Hicks Beach (rejection), K&L Gates (post-test rejection).
Not sure if it's the same for others, but I haven't heard back from most of my applications. It has only been a few weeks since the TC deadline though. If anyone does have any updates though it would be appreciated! :)

I haven’t heard back from TLT yet (on the portal it says my application is under review).
Also waiting on Travers Smith.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
To those who have followed my TC journey on here, you will have heard of the moderate success I've had. Today, it is a time for reflection upon rejection. I received a rejection for my TC Interview I had following my final VS interview. Rejection is everywhere guys. Everyone receives it. Don't let it get you down! I think it's important to post about rejections because I'd hate for any one of us to live in a world where you think others are only succeeding.

I wish all of those the best in the upcoming cycle.

Let me know if I can assist in any way :)

D

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Jul 29, 2019

Not had a rejection email from AG but this seems a bit condescending if they’ve used it as a generic response.

Applications are subjective and just because one HR representative doesn't progress you it doesn’t mean another won’t/it isn’t a good application.

Last edited:
  • 🤝
Reactions: Chido

Lawgirl1012

Nov 12, 2019
To those who have followed my TC journey on here, you will have heard of the moderate success I've had. Today, it is a time for reflection upon rejection. I received a rejection for my TC Interview I had following my final VS interview. Rejection is everywhere guys. Everyone receives it. Don't let it get you down! I think it's important to post about rejections because I'd hate for any one of us to live in a world where you think others are only succeeding.

I wish all of those the best in the upcoming cycle.

Let me know if I can assist in any way :)

D

Moderate success is modest! Securing a MC and SC TC in a single cycle is phenomenal - let us know which you go with in the end!

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019

Heard back:

When did you hear back from Edwin coe

NCLaw

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2018
Has anybody heard back from Boodle Hatfield after the final TC interviews last week?

I applied for their direct TC and haven’t heard back at all.

@Jessica Booker can I assume they are waiting to make a decision on their vac schemers first before they start on the direct TC applications? I haven’t heard yet of somebody who has got a response from them following a direct TC app.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.