Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I applied for their direct TC and haven’t heard back at all.

@Jessica Booker can I assume they are waiting to make a decision on their vac schemers first before they start on the direct TC applications? I haven’t heard yet of somebody who has got a response from them following a direct TC app.

You probably shouldn’t assume anything. Its quite possible your suggestion is the logical answer to what’s going on. But reality is it could be a whole load of other logical reasons too (and even a mixture of those reasons).

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Guys, I am now more than ever convinced that firms mostly hire from their VS.
Very few firms hire from direct TC app and therefore we need to be more strategic.

This should not be a shock, and is the corollary of not only firms investing time in you (running the VS), but also you investing time in the firm (learning about the firm on the VS).

If a firm runs a VS, theres a very good chance they use that as their primary recruiting tool.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Guys, I am now more than ever convinced that firms mostly hire from their VS.
Very few firms hire from direct TC app and therefore we need to be more strategic.

Most firms predominately recruit from vacation schemes or other feeder programmes. That has been the case since at least 2005... it is not something new or secret.

But not all vacation schemers get offers (typically anywhere between 70-80% unless it is a large cohort with few TC places), and then acceptance rate of those offers ranges anywhere from 50-80%, typically because vacation schemers have more than one vac scheme but can only accept one TC.

That means there are usually plenty of direct TC vacancies out there. This year might be slightly different just because of everything that is going on.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If a firm runs a VS, theres a very good chance they use that as their primary recruiting tool.

This is the whole point of vac schemes! Firms wouldn’t run them if they weren’t the most successful recruiting tool (which is why CC might have dropped theirs).

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
This should not be a shock, and is the corollary of not only firms investing time in you (running the VS), but also you investing time in the firm (learning about the firm on the VS).

I 100% agree with you...just pissed that I did not think about it before.

azbwcy

Jan 6, 2019
For people that applied to Harbottle, did you get a confirmation email from the firm themselves - I only have the CVMail standard confirmation email and am at that stage in the cycle of overthinking everything lol

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just received an interview for a paralegal role :)

I was wondering if anyone had any tips - how might it differ from a usual VS/TC one?

It will be much more focused on how you will fit into that specific team.

TCs and VS are all about recruiting for the firm as a whole where you will rotate around. Unless it is a pool paralegal role, you will be working in a specific team/practice area/group so the questions tend to be much more focused on why that specific role.

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
It will be much more focused on how you will fit into that specific team.

TCs and VS are all about recruiting for the firm as a whole where you will rotate around. Unless it is a pool paralegal role, you will be working in a specific team/practice area/group so the questions tend to be much more focused on why that specific role.
I see that’s really helpful - thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.