General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy10

Jul 20, 2019
Has anybody heard anything back from Irwin Mitchell?

I know they said they don't review apps on a rolling basis so not too worried yet, just wondered if anyone had any wisdom.

I got a rejection from Irwin Mitchell just now - they said they had filled all their places from the placement scheme and so I get the feeling they didn't even view the direct applications.

Phoebe

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 25, 2018
Thanks you! Its a compliance role encompassing work on anti-money laundering documentation and conflict checks - do you think I should expect technical questions on that area?

I used to work in the conflicts/AML department of the firm I'm at now and I'd say the most important competencies to expect questions on are attention to detail and communication skills. I personally didn't get any technical questions. As you'll have to communicate with all types of fee-earners, I remember being asked a question about how I demonstrated my ability to adapt communication styles as you'll have to interact with fee-earners of all levels i.e. being prepared to deal with partners who are very busy. I also remember a question about how I dealt with monotonous tasks (as conflict checking involved a lot of inputting data and the system does all the work for you). You might have to do further research into a company to find its shareholders/group structure etc so research skills could also be something to consider.

• ℹ️
  • 🤝
Reactions: anulciak7, Zoo, R29 and 3 others

anulciak7

Star Member
May 17, 2019
I 100% agree with you...just pissed that I did not think about it before.

And not everyone can afford time and money forVS unfortunately! But I completely understand
Just received an interview for a paralegal role :)

I was wondering if anyone had any tips - how might it differ from a usual VS/TC one?

Hi! Congratulations! :) May I ask how did you go about this? I've been trying for so so long now to find a paralegal role without any luck, not even an interview. I have legal work experience and other experience, I'm hopeless :(

Cer96

Star Member
Future Trainee
Aug 13, 2020
I got a rejection from Irwin Mitchell just now - they said they had filled all their places from the placement scheme and so I get the feeling they didn't even view the direct applications.

Ah yep, just checked and had mine through too - a shame but like you say, mine had exactly the same message about filling from the placement scheme. Sorry it wasn't better news for either of us!

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2019
Thanks you! Its a compliance role encompassing work on anti-money laundering documentation and conflict checks - do you think I should expect technical questions on that area?
Hey every single paralegal role I have had the main criteria they are looking for is: can I work with this person? Will they fit well into the team?

They know you are a good candidate or they wouldn’t have invited you for an interview. It’s all about the fit. Be yourself and you will be fine.

Other criteria for a role like this focus on attention to detail, the ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines, how you cope with lots of requests. If you know something basic about KYC and why conflicts are important that’s great but if not they will teach you. Be confident and you will do well.

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Mar 17, 2020
I applied for their direct TC and haven’t heard back at all.

@Jessica Booker can I assume they are waiting to make a decision on their vac schemers first before they start on the direct TC applications? I haven’t heard yet of somebody who has got a response from them following a direct TC app.

With regards to Boodle Hatfield I am not completely sure what is happening with direct to TC applications as I applied to do the vacation scheme. All I know is that last week it was not only vac schemers that were interviewed. They added an extra round of virtual interviews (a HR and then a partner interview) before being shortlisted to come into the office for a verbal reasoning test and a final partner interview. It was confirmed that not all those that were on the vacation scheme were guaranteed to get through to the final round. I know for sure that one other vac schemer (there were 5 on the vacation scheme) got through to the partner interview, but I don't know about the others.

Hopefully you'll hear back soon. To be honest I've been so nervous and on edge waiting to hear back.

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
[QUOTE="anulciak7]And not everyone can afford time and money forVS unfortunately! [/QUOTE]

Most firms pay pretty well for their vacation schemes - some pay £500 per week!
I'm in a similar position because I'm a teacher so I don't get to choose my holiday. Luckily, a number of vacation schemes fall into school holidays but most of them don't.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think the issue for some is that many can’t afford to move to London and find accommodation that isn’t super expensive, especially if it is short term. £500 a week is a great salary for an internship - it’s just so expensive to get short term accommodation in London.

Reactions: Changes

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020
I think the issue for some is that many can’t afford to move to London and find accommodation that isn’t super expensive, especially if it is short term. £500 a week is a great salary for an internship - it’s just so expensive to get short term accommodation in London.
I think for some people it's also that the salary is paid in arrears - generally, 1-2 weeks behind you're actually doing each week of the VS, speaking from experience. Problem is that you need to pay up front for short term accommodation, so need a lump of cash to start with. I think there was an article in the Guardian or the Independent about this exact problem a while back. Yes, I know some firms do also do bursaries/hardship funds, but not all.

NCLaw

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2018
With regards to Boodle Hatfield I am not completely sure what is happening with direct to TC applications as I applied to do the vacation scheme. All I know is that last week it was not only vac schemers that were interviewed. They added an extra round of virtual interviews (a HR and then a partner interview) before being shortlisted to come into the office for a verbal reasoning test and a final partner interview. It was confirmed that not all those that were on the vacation scheme were guaranteed to get through to the final round. I know for sure that one other vac schemer (there were 5 on the vacation scheme) got through to the partner interview, but I don't know about the others.

Hopefully you'll hear back soon. To be honest I've been so nervous and on edge waiting to hear back.

Thank you for the info, that's strange that people haven't heard back yet when non-vac schemers are being invited to final interviews! I wish you the best of luck

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I think for some people it's also that the salary is paid in arrears - generally, 1-2 weeks behind you're actually doing each week of the VS, speaking from experience. Problem is that you need to pay up front for short term accommodation, so need a lump of cash to start with. I think there was an article in the Guardian or the Independent about this exact problem a while back. Yes, I know some firms do also do bursaries/hardship funds, but not all.

Another part of my business hopes to solve these issues - also happens with people not being able to afford to travel to open days/assessment centres. It’s just a shame covid has delayed it! Hopefully soon though!

Last edited:

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
Hey every single paralegal role I have had the main criteria they are looking for is: can I work with this person? Will they fit well into the team?

They know you are a good candidate or they wouldn’t have invited you for an interview. It’s all about the fit. Be yourself and you will be fine.

Other criteria for a role like this focus on attention to detail, the ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines, how you cope with lots of requests. If you know something basic about KYC and why conflicts are important that’s great but if not they will teach you. Be confident and you will do well.

That's really helpful and reassuring - thanks very much!

I used to work in the conflicts/AML department of the firm I'm at now and I'd say the most important competencies to expect questions on are attention to detail and communication skills. I personally didn't get any technical questions. As you'll have to communicate with all types of fee-earners, I remember being asked a question about how I demonstrated my ability to adapt communication styles as you'll have to interact with fee-earners of all levels i.e. being prepared to deal with partners who are very busy. I also remember a question about how I dealt with monotonous tasks (as conflict checking involved a lot of inputting data and the system does all the work for you). You might have to do further research into a company to find its shareholders/group structure etc so research skills could also be something to consider.

Thank you for this insight! Did you enjoy the role?

And not everyone can afford time and money forVS unfortunately! But I completely understand

Hi! Congratulations! :) May I ask how did you go about this? I've been trying for so so long now to find a paralegal role without any luck, not even an interview. I have legal work experience and other experience, I'm hopeless :(

Hey thank you - sorry to hear you haven't had much luck yet. I was lucky in the sense that I maintained a good relationship with someone who interviewed me for a VS and she was kind enough to refer me for a paralegal role. Definitely try to reach out to people in your network and check every day if there are any roles available, hopefully things will pick up soon, there aren't many open positions right now. Best of luck and let me know if I can help in any way :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.