General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone would have an answer to my question. I have been struggling with this one for a long time. it might sound silly but A&O in its AC always ask a question, something on the lines of "calculate the value of the target company". In my AC 3 years back I was only given an income statement and the asking price given by the target company to the client and had no idea how to calculate it/ value the company. Has anyone done the A&O AC successfully and knows how to calculate and answer this question? I would really appreciate it! I have looked for several different methods online on how to calculate it but those seem way too complicated to be asked in an AC esp with limited financial data. Thanks in advance :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone would have an answer to my question. I have been struggling with this one for a long time. it might sound silly but A&O in its AC always ask a question, something on the lines of "calculate the value of the target company". In my AC 3 years back I was only given an income statement and the asking price given by the target company to the client and had no idea how to calculate it/ value the company. Has anyone done the A&O AC successfully and knows how to calculate and answer this question? I would really appreciate it! I have looked for several different methods online on how to calculate it but those seem way too complicated to be asked in an AC esp with limited financial data. Thanks in advance :)

They aren’t really looking at your answer. They are looking at your thinking and logic. They would probably expect you to identify things like what additional information you’d need for it to be more accurate or what assumptions you had made based on poor/limited information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
They aren’t really looking at your answer. They are looking at your thinking and logic. They would probably expect you to identify things like what additional information you’d need for it to be more accurate or what assumptions you had made based on poor/limited information.
Hi Jessica, thanks for your reply. Youre absolutely right. Though I do remember being asked to do the math and quote a figure to them and then tell them what was my logic, calculation and how I arrived to the answer.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, thanks for your reply. Youre absolutely right. Though I do remember being asked to do the math and quote a figure to them and then tell them what was my logic, calculation and how I arrived to the answer.

Then you would have been only able to do that with the information you were presented with. Without knowing what specifically it was it’s impossible to know how the calculation would have been worked out.

I think you are over-thinking this - I don’t think it’s worthwhile holding on to this, especially if the case study was 3 years ago and won’t be used anymore.

Last edited:

Mohammed

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 30, 2018
Hi Jessica,

So I made an accidental mistake with one of my module grades on my CV. I inputed 72%, instead of 71% for one of my modules and now have an upcoming AC with the firm. Shall I inform them prior to my AC or let it be, since the percentage point makes no difference to my overall grade for the year or even my whole degree.

Thanks in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

So I made an accidental mistake with one of my module grades on my CV. I inputed 72%, instead of 71% for one of my modules and now have an upcoming AC with the firm. Shall I inform them prior to my AC or let it be, since the percentage point makes no difference to my overall grade for the year or even my whole degree.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, to be double safe probably best to email them with the correction. I can’t see it impacting your application given the grade.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Has anyone heard back from A&O after passing the SJT?

I did mine today, passed it! Haven't heard back yet though ofc, but know of people who have really early(like 5th August and the like) have not heard back. This is for the TC intake.

They are rolling, so we will probably hear back soon within the next 2 weeks I am guessing?

• 🏆
  • 🤝
Reactions: M777, ibs97, Nat000 and 3 others

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
I did mine today, passed it! Haven't heard back yet though ofc, but know of people who have really early(like 5th August and the like) have not heard back. This is for the TC intake.

They are rolling, so we will probably hear back soon within the next 2 weeks I am guessing?
Is this for the 2022 or 2023 intake?

• ℹ️
Reactions: JayB

Nat000

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020

I passed mine on 7th August (for 2023 TC) and still haven't heard back! Think they'll probably focus right now on the applications for the 2022 intake which suddenly opened up

Reactions: dosblancos7

ibs97

Legendary Member
    Jan 20, 2020
    I passed mine on 7th August (for 2023 TC) and still haven't heard back! Think they'll probably focus right now on the applications for the 2022 intake which suddenly opened up

passed mine on the 14th but they do say they aim to get back to everyone within 21 days when you submit the app so we should hear by the end of the month/beginning of September!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys hope everyone is well. I think I read this right but just want to confirm; is the Clifford Chance TC and Vacation scheme not open for graduates?

CC are not running a vacation scheme anymore in a traditional sense. You can sign up to their global virtual scheme though.

Training contracts are still open to graduates, they have just stated that they will prioritise penultimate year applicants.

You might want to read this thread, and in particular watch the video CC produced about it posted here:

CC TC video

• ℹ️
    Reactions: lawlad

LawMadeInOven

Future Trainee
    Mar 2, 2020
    Hello @Jessica Booker Graduate Recruitment, while it is not a question directly related to hearing back from law firms, would like to ask how do law firms view LPC LLM vs LPC MSc+ vs LPC Graduate Diploma in terms of employability? I am still waiting to hear back from 12+ law firms for London direct TC but looking into joining the Sep 2020 LPC cohort. Thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker Graduate Recruitment, while it is not a question directly related to hearing back from law firms, would like to ask how do law firms view LPC LLM vs LPC MSc+ vs LPC Graduate Diploma in terms of employability? I am still waiting to hear back from 12+ law firms for London direct TC but looking into joining the Sep 2020 LPC cohort. Thank you so much!

no difference whatsoever.

Reactions: LawMadeInOven
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.