Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks! I'll do that. And yes, it's a no reply. I've managed to find GR's email on the firm's website so I'll send an email to that address if i don't hear by tomorrow morning

It could quite easily be the case that there is some down time between the test provider and A&O's applicant tracking system, or some other minor glitch that might get resolved in the next few hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: champ591

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    When a firm asks you to discuss a legal case that caught your attention in their application form should the case relate to their key areas/be a case they're involved in or is it better to go with a case you're genuinely passionate about?

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    When a firm asks you to discuss a legal case that caught your attention in their application form should the case relate to their key areas/be a case they're involved in or is it better to go with a case you're genuinely passionate about?

You will undoubtedly write a better answer about something you are genuinely passionate about.

If you are genuinely passionate about something other than what the firm are doing, is it the right firm for you?

That aside - If it's a commercial firm, I'd try to write about something commercial. If you were to write about a family/criminal matter, you leave yourself wide open in interview to be asked - is this where your passion lays? If so, why aren't you applying to X firms? Just something to consider. And I speak from experience having come from a criminal background myself, and interviewers love asking that sort of thing :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Melissa2196 - agree with what D says above. Its not that non-commercial stories are completely off the table, but I think you have to think carefully as to whether something completely unrelated to the firm might be perceived when balanced with the rest of your application. Think of the question as an opportunity to sell something about you (that something being your interests).

Remember it could be something related to the firm that doesn't seem so obvious at first. The case could impact the firm itself (rather than its clients) or it could be aligned to their CSR or Pro-Bono activities instead. But genuine interest is important - you could easily be asked about it in more depth at the interview stage.

• 🤝
    Reactions: OB, ath120 and thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    @Melissa2196 - agree with what D says above. Its not that non-commercial stories are completely off the table, but I think you have to think carefully as to whether something completely unrelated to the firm might be perceived when balanced with the rest of your application. Think of the question as an opportunity to sell something about you (that something being your interests).

Remember it could be something related to the firm that doesn't seem so obvious at first. The case could impact the firm itself (rather than its clients) or it could be aligned to their CSR or Pro-Bono activities instead. But genuine interest is important - you could easily be asked about it in more depth at the interview stage.

Thank you both for your responses! I was definitely thinking along those lines but wasn’t sure what the question was really asking but this makes a lot of sense :)

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I remember that in one of my apps, I spoke about the proposed expansion of Heathrow Airport which was declared unlawful under the Airports National Policy as it does not consider the Government’s obligation to comply with the Paris Agreement on climate change. Climate change must be considered as a fundamental element for future infrastructure projects.

I am very much passionate about both topics (climate change and infrastructure projects) and explained why in detail and also linked the decision to the firm's expertise.

Last edited:

ath120

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Jul 9, 2020
    Rejection from Addleshaw Goddard, with a side of 5 mins of tears and wondering whether I'll ever crack this TC thing :( I had to log into their portal and check the correspondence for an update, as I haven't been getting their emails directly (I know others on here have had the same issue).

Hey everyone :)

Some of you might have seen the above post I posted just a few weeks ago, feeling genuinely defeated by the whole TC application process and was convinced I may never be a solicitor. I can honestly say I was so touched by so many of you who reached out with your words of support and encouragement, and it meant so so much.

Fast forward a short while, and I cannot believe that I am sharing this with everyone - but I have been offered a TC at Pinsent Masons!! I am still in disbelief, and cannot believe this is happening to me - I keep expecting to get an email or call to tell me they have made a mistake haha!

TCLA is a brilliant forum, and I am so grateful for finding it during this cycle. I graduated back in 2018, and never had much luck with VS’s or TC applications whilst at University and felt so behind everyone else. Now, having working in a non-legal, project based role and gaining various different skills, I have been lucky enough for a firm like PM to see potential in me. Given my own experiences, I would urge anyone struggling to get any legal experience to not worry at all and to do things you are genuinely interested in (even if it doesn’t seem to be what other law students are doing around you). I have absolute faith in everyone on here trying to obtain a TC - if I can do it, anyone can! ;)

I am also unable to share this news on LinkedIn at the moment due to my current situation with my employer at the moment (need to try and keep my job until 2022 haha) but it means a lot that I am able to share it with all of you amazingly supportive people on here! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Some of you might have seen the above post I posted just a few weeks ago, feeling genuinely defeated by the whole TC application process and was convinced I may never be a solicitor. I can honestly say I was so touched by so many of you who reached out with your words of support and encouragement, and it meant so so much.

Fast forward a short while, and I cannot believe that I am sharing this with everyone - but I have been offered a TC at Pinsent Masons!! I am still in disbelief, and cannot believe this is happening to me - I keep expecting to get an email or call to tell me they have made a mistake haha!

TCLA is a brilliant forum, and I am so grateful for finding it during this cycle. I graduated back in 2018, and never had much luck with VS’s or TC applications whilst at University and felt so behind everyone else. Now, having working in a non-legal, project based role and gaining various different skills, I have been lucky enough for a firm like PM to see potential in me. Given my own experiences, I would urge anyone struggling to get any legal experience to not worry at all and to do things you are genuinely interested in (even if it doesn’t seem to be what other law students are doing around you). I have absolute faith in everyone on here trying to obtain a TC - if I can do it, anyone can! ;)

I am also unable to share this news on LinkedIn at the moment due to my current situation with my employer at the moment (need to try and keep my job until 2022 haha) but it means a lot that I am able to share it with all of you amazingly supportive people on here! :)

Amazing news - congratulations. PM are a great firm.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Ifmhouse4, Holly and ath120

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018

Congratulations!

Most importantly - Go get that "Future Trainee" badge on the forum :D

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Huge congrats! Absolutely delighted for you, but I'd let your employer know sooner rather than later haha :D

• 🤝
    Reactions: ath120

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019

Wonderful news! My sincere congratulations to you :)

This was incredibly heartwarming to read and I am sure will inspire many others (it has certainly inspired me!).

Wishing you the absolute best going forwards!

• 🤝

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

A true testament to how sometimes good news is right around the corner. Really well done!

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020

That's amazing news - well done!

• 🤝
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.