General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    Hi guys - for Firms that use a traditional CV/Cover Letter format for their applications (thinking Slaughter and May) - do you think the CV should be laid out in bullet point form (concise but perhaps lacks detail) or in paragraph; continuous prose form (detailed but might lose clarity)

Thanks

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Quanto881766

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi guys - for Firms that use a traditional CV/Cover Letter format for their applications (thinking Slaughter and May) - do you think the CV should be laid out in bullet point form (concise but perhaps lacks detail) or in paragraph; continuous prose form (detailed but might lose clarity)

Thanks
    CVs should always be in bullet point form. You want to get the information across in as concise a way as possible. I think @Jessica Booker or @Jaysen had a good example of a template for one of their old CVs if I'm not mistaken?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Thanks

definitely bullet points for the CV.

Proper paragraphs for the cover letter.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Lauren2

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Mar 17, 2020
    Rejected from Boodle Hatfield after final TC interview. Genuinely devastated, as it was the last application I was waiting to hear back from this cycle. I have just finished the GDL and do not know where to go from here. I would really appreciate some advice from anyone else that has been in a similar situation.

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Rejected from Boodle Hatfield after final TC interview. Genuinely devastated, as it was the last application I was waiting to hear back from this cycle. I have just finished the GDL and do not know where to go from here. I would really appreciate some advice from anyone else that has been in a similar situation.

My only advice is that there is no set path when it comes to TCs.

I know it would have been nice to have finished your GDL with a TC lined up and the LPC in between, but things don’t always go according to plan! However, that doesn’t necessarily mean you’re going in the wrong direction. I’m a firm believer that things happen for a reason and this may be sending you in a direction you’ll one day be thankful for.

If I was in your shoes (and I’ve been in similar recently!), I would take a few days to sit down and reflect. Think about your next steps and also realise how far you have come.

Did your interviewers give any feedback? What could you improve based on that? Maybe now is the time to start job hunting (assuming you haven’t got one already) and/or prepare yourself for the next cycle by thinking about where you would like to apply and why.

You did excellently to reach the final stage. However, just because you didn’t get the outcome we all wish for doesn’t mean it’s game over!

Blue cacti

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Mar 18, 2020
    To echo @Lumree, the fact you made it to the TC interview is testament to the fact you are a strong candidate and can absolutely achieve a TC.

I know rejections are disheartening, and whilst reflecting on any feedback given will be useful, sometimes it just wasn’t the right “fit” for you - and that’s okay. I was rejected twice at interview, and aside from my own mistakes, I really do believe when it is the “right” firm for you a success will materialise. The firm I am joining put me at ease at both my vacation scheme and TC interview; the questions were still challenging but I was genuinely passionate about the firm and it must have showed.

I truly believe those that persevere will end up at the right firm. Take some time off and enjoy yourself and then come back to applications with a clear idea of what type of firm you like and a strategy.

Good luck and keep persevering!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.