General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Wow they work quickly.

One thing I do know from FF is that for their VS, they ran AC's over a long, LONG period of time. Their AC's are very small... there is a possibility they run more, however, there have been a lot of people who received a rejection post-WG.

Are you waiting on your app?

Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

STWO

Distinguished Member
Jan 5, 2019
One thing I do know from FF is that for their VS, they ran AC's over a long, LONG period of time. Their AC's are very small... there is a possibility they run more, however, there have been a lot of people who received a rejection post-WG.

Are you waiting on your app?

I got rejected at application stage same time as quite a few people on here. Which I swear was only a week and a half ago!

Blue cacti

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Mar 18, 2020
Does anyone know when to expect a response from w&c?
I believe their postponed spring vac scheme is currently running and they have already given TCs following the winter/summer vac schemes. I imagine they are waiting until they’ve finished the spring scheme to get back to direct TC - but this is just a guess and I could be wrong!

D

Deleted member 5185

I’ve seen one offer of a Training Contract for Travers Smith on LinkedIn so far, hopefully this means all of the direct TC applicants will hear back very soon.

On a coincidental note, I went up to Westfield shopping centre a few days ago to take something back to a shop, and the young woman in front of me just happened to be wearing a Travers Smith tote bag. I’m either seeing signs or their marketing is just ridiculously good :D

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
After much thinking and lots of moodiness, I have decided to no longer apply for TCs or VSs.
I have a first class degree and A*A*A*A* despite my undiagnosed dyslexia and my mental struggles. My achievements are the result of a lot of support from doctors and family. However, this is not the case with my academic results in this country. I was stupid, I did not ask for help because it was expensive and also because back then my english language skills were not exactly great.

I could keep applying but applications require a lot of efforts, and I know, deep inside me, that i will be rejected at the application level. I have a good career as a paralegal, but I am planning to change for something else.

I could try with Cilex or SQE, but I have done more than 50 University exams in my life (32 University exams in my country) and the idea of paying fees and study for the exams makes me puke.

Becoming a solicitor is hard and this cycle was painful, and Covid is going to make things harder especially for black people like me. Law firms are not forgiving!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
After much thinking and lots of moodiness, I have decided to no longer apply for TCs or VSs.
I have a first class degree and A*A*A*A* despite my undiagnosed dyslexia and my mental struggles. My achievements are the result of a lot of support from doctors and family. However, this is not the case with my academic results in this country. I was stupid, I did not ask for help because it was expensive and also because back then my english language skills were not exactly great.

I could keep applying but applications require a lot of efforts, and I know, deep inside me, that i will be rejected at the application level. I have a good career as a paralegal, but I am planning to change for something else.

I could try with Cilex or SQE, but I have done more than 50 University exams in my life (32 University exams in my country) and the idea of paying fees and study for the exams makes me puke.

Becoming a solicitor is hard and this cycle was painful, and Covid is going to make things harder especially for black people like me. Law firms are not forgiving!

Good luck with whatever comes next. Remember you can change your mind and decide to refocus on law again at a later stage in life.

D

Deleted member 5185

You have achieved so much, and it’s okay to take a break. It’s amazing that you’re a paralegal! I’m still trying to find work. Don’t beat yourself up, you are doing fantastically in light of this crazy time. As a black woman myself, I completely get where you’re coming from. I am hopeful that diversity will be increasing in the coming years.

Just for context, my A levels were B, C and a D in law, so kudos to you for your brilliant qualifications.

Camilla

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019

Sorry to hear this...and I understand the difficulties with funding further education, but is there no way that you can get your employer to sponsor CILEx/SQE fees? If so, you will have qualifying work experience that you can use to your advantage.

I decided not to apply for TC's after I graduated and came back to it 7 years later when I finally believed in myself and my abilities, so like Jessica said, you can always change your mind at a later date.

You are obviously incredibly bright with those grades, so I am sure that you will excel in whatever you decide to do :)

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018
    I got rejected at application stage same time as quite a few people on here. Which I swear was only a week and a half ago!

I expect what they did was work out from their VS, how many offers they were going to make. Then, they looked at the direct TC apps they had and from those who were given the WG, they made a decision on how many they would invite to AC, based on the available TC's left. This is based on the timing I experienced (When I got my offer, when I saw people getting AC's).

D

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2018

Best of luck in your future endeavours. I started this journey at 32, having no university education whatsoever! As Camilla pointed out above, you can come back to the industry in the future if your heart is truly set on it. The legal sector will always be here!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.