General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenna

Distinguished Member
Dec 18, 2019
Hi everyone, on other note, I have just received a message from Dentons (post app) that their "TC pipeline has no further spaces" :( They also said I made a strong application, but I'm guessing everyone receives such message.

They also said that they encourage me to apply next year - meaning the next application cycle?

Sorry to hear that. They have made some rejections post app already so I would definitely view their email as a positive!

Can I ask which office you applied for?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone, on other note, I have just received a message from Dentons (post app) that their "TC pipeline has no further spaces" :( They also said I made a strong application, but I'm guessing everyone receives such message.

They also said that they encourage me to apply next year - meaning the next application cycle?

not everyone will have received that message. Yes - sounds like they are encouraging you to reapply at the next appropriate time.

• ℹ️
Reactions: anulciak7

Andrewp

Star Member
Nov 4, 2019
Sorry to hear that. They have made some rejections post app already so I would definitely view their email as a positive!

Can I ask which office you applied for?

This is just so confusing. Does that mean people who have only applied and not completed any other stages?

Been waiting since March post-1st interview.

I wonder what is going on...

Reactions: Jenna

MI

Standard Member
Aug 27, 2020
Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum but I just wanted to let people know about a recent email I got from Hill Dickinson re a TC in the London office for 2022:

'Due to the ongoing coronavirus situation, the timings of our recruitment process have been delayed. The good news, however, is that we are continuing to recruit for training contracts into our Marine team in the London office for 2022.

Please can we ask you to email [email protected] by close of business Tuesday 1 September if you are no longer interested in being considered for a marine focused training contract and wish to withdraw your application. If we do not hear from you by next Tuesday, we will continue to process your application and be in touch soon with next steps.'

I wondered if anyone else got the same, thanks!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jaysen, OB and smith363

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
In most cases you wouldn’t find this out from an annual report. Financials aren't typically broken down into profit by department, and investment in technology wouldn’t be obvious from the reports either.

Hi Jessica, so how would you go about finding out what area has brought the most / least profit for a firm? As well as their actual focus on / investment in new technology?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, so how would you go about finding out what area has brought the most / least profit for a firm? As well as their actual focus on / investment in new technology?

First question can only really be answered by someone on the board or senior partners.

Investment into technology you might find out via general research/looking at their website, or asking at an open day/virtual networking event.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Sorry if this question is silly but I was just wondering what jobs would look good on an application or if it really doesn’t matter what you do as long as you have transferable skills? I ask as I’ve just been offered a position in admin working for HMCTS.

cw

Feb 27, 2020
    Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum but I just wanted to let people know about a recent email I got from Hill Dickinson re a TC in the London office for 2022:

'Due to the ongoing coronavirus situation, the timings of our recruitment process have been delayed. The good news, however, is that we are continuing to recruit for training contracts into our Marine team in the London office for 2022.

Please can we ask you to email [email protected] by close of business Tuesday 1 September if you are no longer interested in being considered for a marine focused training contract and wish to withdraw your application. If we do not hear from you by next Tuesday, we will continue to process your application and be in touch soon with next steps.'

I got this email too. Annoyingly, I didn't apply for the Marine TC, but the Health one...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sorry if this question is silly but I was just wondering what jobs would look good on an application or if it really doesn’t matter what you do as long as you have transferable skills? I ask as I’ve just been offered a position in admin working for HMCTS.

Any job is better than no job... unless you have multiple job offers on the table.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Good luck with whatever comes next. Remember you can change your mind and decide to refocus on law again at a later stage in life.

I know, but I feel that sometimes you have to tell yourself some hard truth. I can be the best paralegal but if i do not have the grades so chin up and move on.

You have achieved so much, and it’s okay to take a break. It’s amazing that you’re a paralegal! I’m still trying to find work. Don’t beat yourself up, you are doing fantastically in light of this crazy time. As a black woman myself, I completely get where you’re coming from. I am hopeful that diversity will be increasing in the coming years.

Just for context, my A levels were B, C and a D in law, so kudos to you for your brilliant qualifications.

Thank you so much and I should start working on my CV over the next few days. I can send you my CV as an example.
    Watching and reading the news is heartbreaking. I see young black people killed or racially profiled like it is the new norm. This affecting me in a way that i could not believe was possible.

Sorry to hear this...and I understand the difficulties with funding further education, but is there no way that you can get your employer to sponsor CILEx/SQE fees? If so, you will have qualifying work experience that you can use to your advantage.

I decided not to apply for TC's after I graduated and came back to it 7 years later when I finally believed in myself and my abilities, so like Jessica said, you can always change your mind at a later date.

You are obviously incredibly bright with those grades, so I am sure that you will excel in whatever you decide to do :)

The problem is that I have colleagues who are doing the Cilex and they have to study, the SQUE is going to I am done with books unless I have to do some extra skills course for my TC. I have done more than 50 exams during my education (Master, GDL and LPC) and I am not including GCSE and A-levels. Enough is enough..

Best of luck in your future endeavours. I started this journey at 32, having no university education whatsoever! As
    Camilla pointed out above, you can come back to the industry in the future if your heart is truly set on it. The legal sector will always be here!

I know, but the reality is that I cant leverage my career without good UK grades.

If you are looking for a TC ASAP (ie. you have completed the LPC), you might want to have a look at this very useful thread on US firm starting their TC recruitment:

Crowell & Moring

I am taking part in their webinar this afternoon.

• 🤝
    Reactions: T.W and skizzle

smith363

Apr 1, 2020
    hey, I also got this message for the London office.

Hi all,

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    I know, but I feel that sometimes you have to tell yourself some hard truth. I can be the best paralegal but if i do not have the grades so chin up and move on.

Thank you so much and I should start working on my CV over the next few days. I can send you my CV as an example.
    Watching and reading the news is heartbreaking. I see young black people killed or racially profiled like it is the new norm. This affecting me in a way that i could not believe was possible.

The problem is that I have colleagues who are doing the Cilex and they have to study, the SQUE is going to I am done with books unless I have to do some extra skills course for my TC. I have done more than 50 exams during my education (Master, GDL and LPC) and I am not including GCSE and A-levels. Enough is enough..

I know, but the reality is that I cant leverage my career without good UK grades.

I am taking part in their webinar this afternoon.
    What are your uk grades

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.