General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
I still haven't received one and I submitted on Thursday. Emailed and rang grad rec with no response.
I’m having the same issue! I submitted on Thursday too. Got an automated email that said they will send the SJT link within an hour but still hasn’t received it.
Emailed grad rec too but the same outcome as you - no response.
Not sure what to do next..

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
Hi all, I recently got feedback from an assessment centre (which I thought I had done really well on) that in 2 of the 3 exercises, the partners thought I came across as "too intense". The HR, who was giving me the feedback, couldn't really give me more details than that since she said the partners had just jotted it down during the interview so she didn't have much more background on what exactly it referred to.

I've really been banging my head over this, trying to analyse what exactly it meant in the context of my assessment centre and the exercises I had done, and how to improve in the future. She did also say I spoke a bit too fast, and while I'm sure that might've contributed to the "too intense" feeling, I suspect it probably goes beyond just speaking too quickly.

Has anyone else been in a similar position before? How did you figure out how to implement such a broad comment in the way you speak, gesticulate, etc. in interviews?

Jessica, if you had given this type of feedback to a candidate, what would it, in your experience, typically refer to?

Thanks!

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
Hi all, I recently got feedback from an assessment centre (which I thought I had done really well on) that in 2 of the 3 exercises, the partners thought I came across as "too intense". The HR, who was giving me the feedback, couldn't really give me more details than that since she said the partners had just jotted it down during the interview so she didn't have much more background on what exactly it referred to.

I've really been banging my head over this, trying to analyse what exactly it meant in the context of my assessment centre and the exercises I had done, and how to improve in the future. She did also say I spoke a bit too fast, and while I'm sure that might've contributed to the "too intense" feeling, I suspect it probably goes beyond just speaking too quickly.

Has anyone else been in a similar position before? How did you figure out how to implement such a broad comment in the way you speak, gesticulate, etc. in interviews?

Jessica, if you had given this type of feedback to a candidate, what would it, in your experience, typically refer to?

Thanks!
I don't know you or your situation so not sure whether this will be accurate or helpful.
When I did an assessment centre earlier this year, there was a guy that I would probably describe as "intense" in my group exercise. He was very controlling and dominant and I don't think it came across well. We were supposed to be doing a negotiations exercise but he just refused to give the other side anything (even things our client didn't care about), then when we go to the things our client cared about the other side were reluctant to compromise because they'd already compromised on the stuff we weren't supposed to care about. He didn't convince any of us that it was a good strategy, just insisted to the point where we gave in because we were wasting our entire prep time arguing with him. In this situation, the feedback could be "intense", "overbearing", "controlling", "unwilling to listen to feedback", "unwilling to compromise", "puts own ego before client needs" etc.
My mentor at a different firm told me that when they're interviewing/networking, they use a "long plane journey" test. Basically, could they cope with a long plane journey with this person and not go insane. We all know that the worst person to sit next to on a plane is someone who just does not shut up the entire time and goes on and on and on and on for twelve hours talking about absolutely every single little thing that pops into their head. Perhaps, (probably from nerves or a genuine passion for the firm), you were just talking a bit too much about everything? In this situation, the feedback could be "intense", "unable to focus on one task", "doesn't understand professional boundaries", "unable to work independently", "unable to filter what they'll say in front of clients", "would drive me insane if I were stuck in an office with them until 2am" etc.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Thanks!

Although not a uniform response (it will vary between candidates) this type of comment can be down to two things generally.

Nerves can play a part - not just talking too quickly, but never just being at all comfortable or at ease in the process. This could be fidgeting, lacking eye contact/too much eye contact/not knowing where to look - anything that suggests your nerves have just taken over.

The other is that it some people just come across intense through their character. This can be a multitude of things like:
  • They take the interview too seriously - they can do things like fail to smile or come across as having a guard up.
  • They potentially come across as overly defensive when challenged.
  • They talk for too long - their answers become far too detailed and they go off on tangents to try and cover every base going
  • They come across as the “perfectionist” - someone who will strive for perfection at all costs to maintain their own sanity
Generally, an “intense” comment is that they just can’t see the person as being easy or pleasant to work with. So if asked any questions about working with others, the answers to those questions might not have been great either.

Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Remember if you want to tag people in posts, do so using the @ and then typing their name. A little pop up box will come up and then you can just click on that.

Without that tag, I might miss posts that people are asking me to comment on.

Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I don't know you or your situation so not sure whether this will be accurate or helpful.
When I did an assessment centre earlier this year, there was a guy that I would probably describe as "intense" in my group exercise. He was very controlling and dominant and I don't think it came across well. We were supposed to be doing a negotiations exercise but he just refused to give the other side anything (even things our client didn't care about), then when we go to the things our client cared about the other side were reluctant to compromise because they'd already compromised on the stuff we weren't supposed to care about. He didn't convince any of us that it was a good strategy, just insisted to the point where we gave in because we were wasting our entire prep time arguing with him. In this situation, the feedback could be "intense", "overbearing", "controlling", "unwilling to listen to feedback", "unwilling to compromise", "puts own ego before client needs" etc.
My mentor at a different firm told me that when they're interviewing/networking, they use a "long plane journey" test. Basically, could they cope with a long plane journey with this person and not go insane. We all know that the worst person to sit next to on a plane is someone who just does not shut up the entire time and goes on and on and on and on for twelve hours talking about absolutely every single little thing that pops into their head. Perhaps, (probably from nerves or a genuine passion for the firm), you were just talking a bit too much about everything? In this situation, the feedback could be "intense", "unable to focus on one task", "doesn't understand professional boundaries", "unable to work independently", "unable to filter what they'll say in front of clients", "would drive me insane if I were stuck in an office with them until 2am" etc.

These are great examples - completely agree.

Lawyers typically think “would I want to supervise this person for six months” as well as the long flight test too. They also think “could I put this person in front of a client unsupervised or be confident they could pick up unexpected client calls when they are on their own”. Often “intense” comments can bring in some concerns around these too.

cgs97

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
I've got a first round TC interview next week with a firm I did a VS with this summer - they've not told me much about it, only that it'll take just under an hour. It's with two people, one of whom I interacted a lot with during the scheme. Does anyone have any advice about the sort of thing I should prep for it? Any insight would be appreciated, @Jessica Booker !

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've got a first round TC interview next week with a firm I did a VS with this summer - they've not told me much about it, only that it'll take just under an hour. It's with two people, one of whom I interacted a lot with during the scheme. Does anyone have any advice about the sort of thing I should prep for it? Any insight would be appreciated, @Jessica Booker !

If you have already been through a recruitment process for the vacation scheme then it is likely the interview will cover some of the below:

- what you have done/learnt developed since your initial application for the VS

- how you felt the vacation scheme went - what went well, what didn’t, what you would have done differently

- what you enjoyed from the scheme

- how their vacation scheme (and any other legal work experience) has honed your skills/knowledge

- drilling down much further on why the firm. Firms can aim off on that for vacation schemes - but they want to make sure you are going to be committed to them if you do join them.

If it’s only an hour there won’t be much more to cover because of the lack of time. Questions may feel similar to what you experienced at the vacation scheme process (if interviewed) because they are likely to be assessing you against the same competencies or framework, but it will be important to explain things in more depth or see how answers have developed since your previous interview.

Reactions: cgs97

cgs97

Star Member
Mar 15, 2020
If you have already been through a recruitment process for the vacation scheme then it is likely the interview will cover some of the below:

- what you have done/learnt developed since your initial application for the VS

- how you felt the vacation scheme went - what went well, what didn’t, what you would have done differently

- what you enjoyed from the scheme

- how their vacation scheme (and any other legal work experience) has honed your skills/knowledge

- drilling down much further on why the firm. Firms can aim off on that for vacation schemes - but they want to make sure you are going to be committed to them if you do join them.

If it’s only an hour there won’t be much more to cover because of the lack of time. Questions may feel similar to what you experienced at the vacation scheme process (if interviewed) because they are likely to be assessing you against the same competencies or framework, but it will be important to explain things in more depth or see how answers have developed since your previous interview.

Thanks Jessica! That's really helpful :)

Shalli

Jan 17, 2020
Hi all,

I was hoping to get some tips or ideas on how to best approach a presentation task i.e. advising a client following on from a case study? In particular, any specific ways in which to structure the presentation to make it engaging, especially virtually (I feel it may be easier to bore them to death by not judging body language in the same way).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

I was hoping to get some tips or ideas on how to best approach a presentation task i.e. advising a client following on from a case study? In particular, any specific ways in which to structure the presentation to make it engaging, especially virtually (I feel it may be easier to bore them to death by not judging body language in the same way).

Although this focuses on written case studies, a lot of the advice still applies.

Case study advice

I think you need to think about how you are presenting. Eg can you share you screen or are you just talking to them. If the latter - how can you really structure/order your points to ensure there is a logical structure and flow.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Shalli

dhway

Aug 27, 2020
Hi everyone,

Just for some context I'm a penultimate year non-law student looking to secure a vacation scheme in this cycle.

There are a number of firms I'm interested in who are holding open days during the application window for the VS.

As these firms often recruit on a rolling basis, I was wondering whether I should submit an earlier application without the open day experience, or apply after completing the open day when it might be more competitive?

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Was wondering whether anyone had any information/insight into Slaughter and May's main practice areas? I believe they rank very highly in terms of Finance and Corporate?

Something can be highly ranked and not a main practice area. What’s your rationale for finding this out and I can send some further infoZ

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

Just for some context I'm a penultimate year non-law student looking to secure a vacation scheme in this cycle.

There are a number of firms I'm interested in who are holding open days during the application window for the VS.

As these firms often recruit on a rolling basis, I was wondering whether I should submit an earlier application without the open day experience, or apply after completing the open day when it might be more competitive?

Thanks in advance.

It won’t be more competitive. I’d apply for the open day first and then apply for the vacation scheme, unless you can only apply for one opportunity per cycle.

Reactions: dhway

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.