General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
What is the best way to find out about a firm’s main practice areas? I know Legal 500 is good for top ranked but these aren’t always directly correlated with main practice areas! I’m particularly interested in firms with a good litigation/disputes department :)

I highly recommend simply engaging with the firm. See if they are running webinars etc. You'll soon get a feel for where their strength is and who they perceive their competitors to be. This will increase your understanding of that area of the market.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I highly recommend simply engaging with the firm. See if they are running webinars etc. You'll soon get a feel for where their strength is and who they perceive their competitors to be. This will increase your understanding of that area of the market.

Agree with this - sometimes a firm can be highly ranked in something but they may not take a lot of trainees into that area (and even fewer NQs). It is something to be mindful of and balance when thinking about your motivations and how you will apply them in your applications.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When asked to bullet point extra curriculars and positions of responsibility in 100 words, is it best to only mention 2-3 in detail or list more but in less detail?

Generally I’d list more with less detail. Too many people describe the self-explanatory with extra curriculars. If it was me, I’d list each one maybe with a key achievement or two eg:

Treasurer - University Law Society (2018-19) increased revenue by 50% through commercial sponsorship.

Mooting (2019-20): reached semi-finals of Random Moot Title and finals of Second Random Moot Title.

Student Law Clinic (2018-20): Volunteered approximately 8 hours each week. Worked on tenancy and student finance matters, successfully resolving three cases with support from qualified lawyers.

The above is only 53 words and so it shows you could go into slightly more detail or add more entries quite easily.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Does anyone know how many people AG recruit through direct TC? Just wondering if I have a good chance of making it to the AC
I don't have numbers but I know from speaking to grad rec and trainees that the vast majority of TCs are offered to vac schemers. I haven't actually seen anybody from this direct TC cycle say that they have been invited to an AC, unless they're keeping it to themselves. There does seem to be quite a few waiting to hear back after the application though...

Andrewp

Star Member
Nov 4, 2019
I heard from Dentons last week :) Rejection, but said they'd like me to apply next year since I applied too late (on the deadline basically) - annoying but what can you do! I believe they've given most of their TC places to their vac schemers
Oh right sorry to hear... Which day did you hear? I have not heard post-first interview and was wondering what is going on.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
I don't have numbers but I know from speaking to grad rec and trainees that the vast majority of TCs are offered to vac schemers. I haven't actually seen anybody from this direct TC cycle say that they have been invited to an AC, unless they're keeping it to themselves. There does seem to be quite a few waiting to hear back after the application though...
Oh I see! I have been invited to a VI, but I’m not sure how many people make it past this stage :S

• 🏆
Reactions: Deleted member 5185

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    @Jessica Booker Hi! I had a question about a situation I'm in and I thought you'd be a great person to consult. I was contacted on LinkedIn by the Director of Innovation at an international firm as he had seen that I will be the brand ambassador for his firm and also that I am currently working on on a chatbot that provides legal advice, so he asked if I was interested in being connected with their Head of Automation. Obviously, I jumped at the opportunity and he asked me for my email, which I gave and then I did not hear from him again.
    I chased him up a week and a half later, and still did not receive any response. This was on the 21st of August. What do I do now?

Thanks and sorry for the long backstory haha

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi! I had a question about a situation I'm in and I thought you'd be a great person to consult. I was contacted on LinkedIn by the Director of Innovation at an international firm as he had seen that I will be the brand ambassador for his firm and also that I am currently working on on a chatbot that provides legal advice, so he asked if I was interested in being connected with their Head of Automation. Obviously, I jumped at the opportunity and he asked me for my email, which I gave and then I did not hear from him again.
    I chased him up a week and a half later, and still did not receive any response. This was on the 21st of August. What do I do now?

Thanks and sorry for the long backstory haha

It's holiday season - lots of partners/heads of departments will be on holiday with their kids, some probably wont be back until next week where a lot of the private schools do not go back until Monday.

So give it a couple more weeks. 10 days seems like a long time to you, to a partner/head of department, it feels like 10 hours.

If you haven't heard back by mid September, drop a very quick/brief email asking if there is any further information you can provide. If you don't hear back after that, then unfortunately it is just one of those things that is likely to come to nothing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.