General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nat000

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020
    Thank you :D It’s actually on my most visited website list, lol

I'm sorry, I don't have any updates on the firms, but happy birthday!!! I totally concur about TCLA being on the most visited website list, all I have to do is type the letter 't' into my search bar and hit enter, then it immediately auto-fills and brings me here...

gricole

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    Really loved the newsletter from yesterday so thought I would share my small piece for anyone that needs abit of motivation in general for the new cycle!

Just over a month ago I was offered a TC with my dream silver circle firm which was my last application out last cycle (I honestly couldn’t have been more thankful and grateful). 3 mins before my final interview I received a rejection call from another firm I had done a ‘online vac scheme’ with and burst into tears (slightly because I wished I hadn’t answered the call). I’m 23 and those were my last two apps I had out last cycle so that call really convinced me a TC probably wasn’t going to happen for me.

Fast forward to now I’ll be starting the LPC with a LLM next Monday (as they put me in a earlier cohort) and I promise you a month ago I would have never have guessed when I started my final round interview with literal tears in my eyes that this is how I would be starting September. So just wanted to say you’ll be surprised how quickly life can switch for you and I commend everyone that is able to tell their story in the most motivational way because for me getting a TC was one of the toughest and testing processes but if you were looking for a sign not to give up this is it, everything will happen for you and I hope you don’t give up on yourself!

Wishing you all the best for this app season:)

Tyler

Thanks Tyler! I totally echo the optimistic spirit of this post. I just turned 24 and will begin my third application cycle. I hope it's gonna be third time lucky for me. Everyone's path is different and age shouldn't be a factor impacting your motivation at all. I, for instance, had a very rough year so far and had to take some time off and to postpone most of my applications for this year. Life is really unpredictable and we can't make rigid plans that depend on things beyond our control. Health should always be the top priority. While LinkedIn can be a great source for information, please don't use it to compare with others. I've fallen in this trap before and what happens is that your mind seeks for a constant justification to quit applying and reinforces the "I'm not good enough" thoughts daily. Anyway, good luck to everyone and feel free to drop me a message at any time if you need anything. :) :)

JW

Star Member
    Mar 17, 2020
    Hi everyone!

Just to let everybody know that CMS have opened their applications for both their First Steps Programme and CMS Academy!

Click here to apply and don't forget that applications are assessed on a rolling basis- http://ocply.co/cms2020-glas-web

I am a brand ambassador for CMS specifically in Scotland and for the University of Glasgow so if you have any questions about CMS in Scotland and eligibility please feel free to message me!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jaysen

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Thanks Tyler! I totally echo the optimistic spirit of this post. I just turned 24 and will begin my third application cycle. I hope it's gonna be third time lucky for me. Everyone's path is different and age shouldn't be a factor impacting your motivation at all. I, for instance, had a very rough year so far and had to take some time off and to postpone most of my applications for this year. Life is really unpredictable and we can't make rigid plans that depend on things beyond our control. Health should always be the top priority. While LinkedIn can be a great source for information, please don't use it to compare with others. I've fallen in this trap before and what happens is that your mind seeks for a constant justification to quit applying and reinforces the "I'm not good enough" thoughts daily. Anyway, good luck to everyone and feel free to drop me a message at any time if you need anything. :) :)
    I agree - there really is no prescribed journey. I'm 30 and in my final year at University, after having spent most my adult life working in hospitality. I would like to think that our different backgrounds and struggles are what make us unique, both personally and professionally.

Amrik Bains

Standard Member
    Oct 7, 2019
    If you don't mind me asking, how long is the time gap between the email invite and actual AC? Just curious how much time candidates have to prepare. Thanks!
    I applied for a direct TC - after the application there are 2 interview rounds and no AC. I don't believe there is an AC for the vacation scheme either. The email said the interview should be in around 2-4 weeks.

D

Deleted member 5185

I applied for a direct TC - after the application there are 2 interview rounds and no AC. I don't believe there is an AC for the vacation scheme either. The email said the interview should be in around 2-4 weeks.

I was told I would hear an outcome in the next couple of weeks so I’m assuming mine is a rejection, best of luck and thank you for the info! :)

J123

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 12, 2019
    For the A&O 2022 TC app, does anyone have any idea if this app was only opened this year to fill in spaces for people who dropped out of that cycle? If so, how many spaces are actually still available for 2022?

Reactions: dosblancos7

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    For the A&O 2022 TC app, does anyone have any idea if this app was only opened this year to fill in spaces for people who dropped out of that cycle? If so, how many spaces are actually still available for 2022?

I'm curious about this actually. I feel like only grad rec knows this, and the rest is speculation.

I know people who applied for the VS, and were given a place on the TC interview though, so maybe there are more TC spaces than anticipated(this was before covid, but this years cycle!)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: J123

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I'm curious about this actually. I feel like only grad rec knows this, and the rest is speculation.

I know people who applied for the VS, and were given a place on the TC interview though, so maybe there are more TC spaces than anticipated(this was before covid, but this years cycle!)
    I'm also curious as the deadline was the 31st August and then got extended to the 20th September after I saw my rejection!

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    I'm also curious as the deadline was the 31st August and then got extended to the 20th September after I saw my rejection!

Oh wow! I see, when I applied(23 Aug), it was also to 31 Aug, hence why I sent in an app quickly(thankfully it was quite short :D). This does give me hope, as I feel like they haven't replied to people with AC's (from what I know) as they are weighing up the numbers, and maybe there are more TC places.. fingers crossed.

Thanks for letting me know!Guess I can only speculate

Good luck with your apps :)

• ℹ️
    • 🤝
    Reactions: J123 and OB

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Oh wow! I see, when I applied(23 Aug), it was also to 31 Aug, hence why I sent in an app quickly(thankfully it was quite short :D). This does give me hope, as I feel like they haven't replied to people with AC's (from what I know) as they are weighing up the numbers, and maybe there are more TC places.. fingers crossed.

Thanks for letting me know!Guess I can only speculate

Good luck with your apps :)
    I would assume they should have more than a negligible amount of spots firstly for advertising for it and then extending the deadline to ensure they have a good amount to interview I guess! Thank you and good luck!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.