Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Really loved the newsletter from yesterday so thought I would share my small piece for anyone that needs abit of motivation in general for the new cycle!

Just over a month ago I was offered a TC with my dream silver circle firm which was my last application out last cycle (I honestly couldn’t have been more thankful and grateful). 3 mins before my final interview I received a rejection call from another firm I had done a ‘online vac scheme’ with and burst into tears (slightly because I wished I hadn’t answered the call). I’m 23 and those were my last two apps I had out last cycle so that call really convinced me a TC probably wasn’t going to happen for me.

Fast forward to now I’ll be starting the LPC with a LLM next Monday (as they put me in a earlier cohort) and I promise you a month ago I would have never have guessed when I started my final round interview with literal tears in my eyes that this is how I would be starting September. So just wanted to say you’ll be surprised how quickly life can switch for you and I commend everyone that is able to tell their story in the most motivational way because for me getting a TC was one of the toughest and testing processes but if you were looking for a sign not to give up this is it, everything will happen for you and I hope you don’t give up on yourself!

Wishing you all the best for this app season:)

Tyler
Sorry this is coming in late @tylergab but congratulations!! I feel the exact same about how quickly your luck can change!! I’m so happy for you and what amazing news!!

• 🤝
Reactions: tylergab

CallumJR

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jul 16, 2020
I am struggling with the following application question: "How is the legal landscape changing and what are the challenges facing Ashurst?"
What is meant by "legal landscape"? Do I have to talk about the introduction of new laws / changes in the legislation or more general changes in the legal sector such as technology, AI, WFH...?

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I am struggling with the following application question: "How is the legal landscape changing and what are the challenges facing Ashurst?"
What is meant by "legal landscape"? Do I have to talk about the introduction of new laws / changes in the legislation or more general changes in the legal sector such as technology, AI, WFH...?
Legal landscape can be interpreted quite broadly I think and I’d be inclined to look at trends that are currently changing and shaping the legal sector. Looking at tech and WFH would certainly be valid approaches but remember to tailor it well to the firm and don’t be too abstract, vague or broad in what you choose to discuss. Try to pick a topic and ensure it’s analytical and insightful :)

Reactions: Jessica Booker

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    I'm a bit confused about Hogan Lovells' A level requirements as I cannot find anything on their website, but on some other websites, like Chambers Student, it says AAA - does anyone know what their academic requirements are?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm a bit confused about Hogan Lovells' A level requirements as I cannot find anything on their website, but on some other websites, like Chambers Student, it says AAA - does anyone know what their academic requirements are?

They use a contextualised recruitment system so highly unlikely to have an AAA minimum requirement (otherwise there is little to no point of having the system).

Legallygrace

Jan 3, 2020
    Still waiting on BLM TC (I did secure a vacation scheme with them this year for their Birmingham office but obviously this didn’t go ahead but I’m hoping they’ll like me enough - although their team told me recruitment could be on hold till the end of the year so I’m not holding my breath..), Trowers & Hamlins TC, Higgs & Sons TC and also Bevan Brittan but they have been incredibly quiet throughout the process...

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    I'm also curious as the deadline was the 31st August and then got extended to the 20th September after I saw my rejection!

Also, can I ask when A&O rejected you, did they e-mail you? Someone from TSR told me they found out through the dashboard(I've asked if they heard back through e-mail as well and did not get a response yet).

Just checked my dash board and it still says under review , on the same day I submitted(and did my SJT!)- so was wondering if their response type is uniform :)

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What proportion of TCs go to direct applicants versus those who do Vac Schemes for Ashurst, Baker McKenzie, Hogan Lovells, Macfarlanes, Norton Rose Fulbright and Travers Smith?

Old stats but will give you some idea

Attachments

• 9F966CD0-9811-4B50-A7B6-8E45232DE9F8.jpeg
      9F966CD0-9811-4B50-A7B6-8E45232DE9F8.jpeg
      419.1 KB · Views: 176
    • 49C025FC-0430-46A5-B1B6-10A44A22FE6B.jpeg
      49C025FC-0430-46A5-B1B6-10A44A22FE6B.jpeg
      418.5 KB · Views: 144
    • 55BF866C-1E35-4637-A901-20EE4601C140.jpeg
      55BF866C-1E35-4637-A901-20EE4601C140.jpeg
      386.6 KB · Views: 145
    • 56BA5B72-96FF-4161-82F9-1509F5A5FF23.jpeg
      56BA5B72-96FF-4161-82F9-1509F5A5FF23.jpeg
      418.2 KB · Views: 147

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do you guys have any info as to what proportion of people are successful for direct TC applications on the final partner interview stage?

Graduate recruitment would never provide that information. General rule will be that grad rec teams would hope that they would only need to assess anywhere between 2.0-3.5 candidates per vacancy for the final stage recruitment processes. However it could be lower or higher than that, typically depending on how many stages the candidate has had to go through before the final stage.

But ultimately if you interviewed 10 people and they were all not good enough, you’d just interview another 10 and just be peeved that you wasted the time interviewing the first 10, and wondering what went wrong with the earlier stages of the recruitment process.

Reactions: Adam Gilchrist

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Also, can I ask when A&O rejected you, did they e-mail you? Someone from TSR told me they found out through the dashboard(I've asked if they heard back through e-mail as well and did not get a response yet).

Just checked my dash board and it still says under review , on the same day I submitted(and did my SJT!)- so was wondering if their response type is uniform :)

Thank you!
    The last few rejections I’ve gotten from them (also applied for other full time jobs), it’s said rejected on the dashboard for a few days before I eventually get an email about it!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: dosblancos7

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone

Just posting this here where it is always the busiest thread. Please could you have a look at this thread and if you have any useful posts/threads bookmarked, please could you include them in the thread.

A-Z bookmark request thread

Many thanks

Jess

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.