General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
You'll need to mention it in your application - it would be silly to keep it out of your application entirely. But in any motivational answers you need a convincing answer that would help to allievate any concerns.

Basically a recruiter for a lower ranked firm with not much similar to the firms on your CV "is this person really interested in us, or are they likely to be the person who reneges or jumps ship at the first opportunity to the type of firms their CV suggests they are truly interested in". It is up to you to explain why that isn't going to be the case.
But hold on, I'm a bit confused now. I need to make sure the firm knows I'm committed to them, but at the same time I shouldn't speak negatively about a previous firm I've done work with even if the two are vastly different. The only way I can see my answer satisfying both of these points is by emphasising an aspect(s) of THIS firm which I like, which my previous firm happened to lack, though without explicitly mentioning in my app that this is what I missed at my previous firm - just hoping the HR will kind of infer that?

LegalNim

Legendary Member
Nov 14, 2019
But hold on, I'm a bit confused now. I need to make sure the firm knows I'm committed to them, but at the same time I shouldn't speak negatively about a previous firm I've done work with even if the two are vastly different. The only way I can see my answer satisfying both of these points is by emphasising an aspect(s) of THIS firm which I like, which my previous firm happened to lack, though without explicitly mentioning in my app that this is what I missed at my previous firm - just hoping the HR will kind of infer that?
I'm no expert but I've previously said things about firms that were negative to me but not objectively negative. For example, that a firm didn't have much of a presence in Asia and due to my connections with Asia, I'd prefer a firm that did (the firm I was applying to did). So, whilst it was a negative point against the other firm, it's not objectively a bad thing - it's just a bad match for me.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Mishcon de reya have a question on their VS application which asks you to write about a topic that interests you and that you can talk about with your friends... would this need to be something lighthearted? I have an interest in some current affairs going on in Pakistan which are quite serious but not sure if should talk about that :confused:

Also, they have another question which asks about a 'legal case'... I wanted to talk about the Sainsburys v Mastercard case (Mishcon advised Sainsburys on the case) that has just been to the SC and the implications on competition law as a result of the decision but I've also briefly mentioned the case in the 'Why us' question so not sure if I should look for something else

Any insight is really appreciated :)

I got to the partner interview last cycle and they had the same question!

I chose to talk about the gentrification of a Latin American shopping centre in London which was linked to an organisation I volunteered with to protect it!

I think the important thing is to be genuinely passionate about the topic and know it inside out bc they do dig deep at the interview (they often google it before the interview)!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

In short, find the positives of the firm that you are applying to that are very different to the firms you worked with and emphasise them.

Reactions: OB and Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm no expert but I've previously said things about firms that were negative to me but not objectively negative. For example, that a firm didn't have much of a presence in Asia and due to my connections with Asia, I'd prefer a firm that did (the firm I was applying to did). So, whilst it was a negative point against the other firm, it's not objectively a bad thing - it's just a bad match for me.

It’s more about the language used than anything else.

Negative: Joe Bloggs LLP could not offer the opportunity of a secondment to Asia

Positive: Your Firm LLP are able to offer an opportunity of a secondment to Asia.

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    I got to the partner interview last cycle and they had the same question!

I chose to talk about the gentrification of a Latin American shopping centre in London which was linked to an organisation I volunteered with to protect it!

I think the important thing is to be genuinely passionate about the topic and know it inside out bc they do dig deep at the interview (they often google it before the interview)!!

Ahh right that's great because I feel like I do know a lot about this topic! And your topic sounds like it was really interesting!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: thirdtimelucky

Popal

Distinguished Member
    Feb 25, 2020
    Hey guys, is anyone else still in the application process for Ashurst 2022 training contracts? I just received an update email saying I’d receive a further update in the next month... thought I had been rejected after so long had passed!!

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    Without reminding the reader that this is what my previous firms lacked?

I've have done a similar thing with open days in the work experience section. I would always include one or two lines to explain to the recruiter what I liked about the open day, what I didn't (not in so many words) and how that has led to me applying to the firm that I am applying to now.

For example: "I attended X firm's open day and this helped me to realise that a structured training programme is important to me because of X reason, but that I would prefer to train at a firm with a smaller intake because of X reason, which is why I am drawn to this firm" ect.

Reactions: Karin and Jessica Booker

SPS

Jul 15, 2020
    Hi all:
    I applied for a TC at HFW over 2 months ago and haven't heard anything back! Is that normal? should I take it as a good or bad sign? I tried emailing the graduate recruitment team but no luck there neither. :/ Any advice will be much appreciated

hdd

Dec 27, 2018
    Hi everyone, long-time lurker here. Although I haven’t posted much, I check these forums almost every day. The people on TCLA and their stories have helped me greatly in what I can safely say has been the most taxing two years of my life!

Yesterday, I received a training contract offer. It took two cycles and no fewer than 31 applications, four interviews and a vac scheme to get there.

If I could offer one piece of advice, it would be to put yourself out there and talk to people who are on the same journey as you. I didn’t for a long time and all those rejections hurt that much more when the only people I told didn’t understand the TC process properly.

Of course, I can’t recommend a TCLA premium subscription enough. The courses, case studies and application reviews have been invaluable. Thank you to Jaysen and to everyone else who has contributed to them!

I’m a slightly older career changer. If there is anyone who is in a similar position, feels a bit on the outside and would like to have a chat, please feel free to message me!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone, long-time lurker here. Although I haven’t posted much, I check these forums almost every day. The people on TCLA and their stories have helped me greatly in what I can safely say has been the most taxing two years of my life!

Yesterday, I received a training contract offer. It took two cycles and no fewer than 31 applications, four interviews and a vac scheme to get there.

If I could offer one piece of advice, it would be to put yourself out there and talk to people who are on the same journey as you. I didn’t for a long time and all those rejections hurt that much more when the only people I told didn’t understand the TC process properly.

Of course, I can’t recommend a TCLA premium subscription enough. The courses, case studies and application reviews have been invaluable. Thank you to Jaysen and to everyone else who has contributed to them!

I’m a slightly older career changer. If there is anyone who is in a similar position, feels a bit on the outside and would like to have a chat, please feel free to message me!

This is incredible news, really well done :). 31 applications shows some fantastic determination!

• 🤝
    Reactions: hdd
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.