General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickystar

Dec 30, 2018
If anyone has any tips for the jones day application I’d really appreciate it. It seems really tough to get past the first stage
I went on a Jones Day vac scheme in the past. For the cover letter, I would say, going to their open day really helped and mentioning it in your application that you spoke to X and Y trainee helped. So try attend a virtual event or gain exposure to the firm in some way [e.g. reach out to someone that works there] and mention you did this in your app. Also mention why their non-rotation TC appeals to you specifically [check if it's still non-rotational TC]. Also talk about their strong practice areas and why that interest you. So the structure I used for the cover letter was a paragraph on why Jones Day and another paragraph on why me. Hope this helps!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Staples, Lawbour, JJP and 3 others

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 21, 2019
Hi guys, I applied for Sidley last year for a VS but then discovered I'd applied a year early :oops: but in their email informing me of this they said they were 'impressed with my application and we hope you will consider making an application in the next academic year', I am wondering if a) this is a generic response sent to anyone who makes the same error as me and b) since their application questions are the same is it fair enough to just submit the same responses? Any thoughts from anyone would be super helpful

• 🤝
Reactions: EmmKay

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys, I applied for Sidley last year for a VS but then discovered I'd applied a year early :oops: but in their email informing me of this they said they were 'impressed with my application and we hope you will consider making an application in the next academic year', I am wondering if a) this is a generic response sent to anyone who makes the same error as me and b) since their application questions are the same is it fair enough to just submit the same responses? Any thoughts from anyone would be super helpful

yes - reapply. It may be generic in the sense they send it to anyone in your situation, but they are actively encouraging you to reapply.

I would always update and refine an application - when you are only in your late teens/early twenties, a lot comparatively can happen in a year. You are likely to have refined your career motivation, and experienced more relevant/important things since your last application.

Reactions: Legal_rawn

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
I went on a Jones Day vac scheme in the past. For the cover letter, I would say, going to their open day really helped and mentioning it in your application that you spoke to X and Y trainee helped. So try attend a virtual event or gain exposure to the firm in some way [e.g. reach out to someone that works there] and mention you did this in your app. Also mention why their non-rotation TC appeals to you specifically [check if it's still non-rotational TC]. Also talk about their strong practice areas and why that interest you. So the structure I used for the cover letter was a paragraph on why Jones Day and another paragraph on why me. Hope this helps!
Thank you so much! I will have a look into this

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Anyone heard from A&O for the winter vac scheme yet? I applied on 5th August, passed the SJT and haven't heard since, but I've seen examples here of people who applied long after me and getting outcomes. Not sure if anyone has been invited to the assessment centre yet. Please can anyone offer insight?

Gracie

Junior Lawyer
May 3, 2020
Anyone heard from A&O for the winter vac scheme yet? I applied on 5th August, passed the SJT and haven't heard since, but I've seen examples here of people who applied long after me and getting outcomes. Not sure if anyone has been invited to the assessment centre yet. Please can anyone offer insight?
I applied on the 19th of August, passed the SJT and also haven't heard if that helps! Apparently they aren't always sending emails and sometimes just updating portal, but mine still says "under review".

Reactions: M777

Jennifer85

Sep 4, 2020
I would recommend looking on the application site as I was notified I’d been rejected on that long before I got the email. Good luck x

Reactions: M777

frow3n

Distinguished Member
Aug 19, 2019
Similar to you, applied on the 7th and nothing yet. Check your portal, mine still says under review

DrowninginSQE

Legendary Member
Sep 23, 2020
Hello, I'm applying to White & Case but they haven't gotten back to me regarding my previous application for the direct 2022 TC. Should I wait for them to reject me or should I just send off an application for the winter VS? I am one of those strange people who got all of my applications ready and proof-read for when applications open so now my itchy fingers wants to submit a new application!:D

champ591

Star Member
Feb 5, 2020
Hello, I'm applying to White & Case but they haven't gotten back to me regarding my previous application for the direct 2022 TC. Should I wait for them to reject me or should I just send off an application for the winter VS? I am one of those strange people who got all of my applications ready and proof-read for when applications open so now my itchy fingers wants to submit a new application!:D
I think it would be best to get in touch with GR to check if you can proceed to apply for the winter VS whilst your TC application is still under review. Especially so given that W&C are taking much longer than usual with the direct TC apps this year.. (I'm still waiting too lol)

DrowninginSQE

Legendary Member
Sep 23, 2020
I think it would be best to get in touch with GR to check if you can proceed to apply for the winter VS whilst your TC application is still under review. Especially so given that W&C are taking much longer than usual with the direct TC apps this year.. (I'm still waiting too lol)
That's a good shout, I'll drop them an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.