General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
Similar to you, applied on the 7th and nothing yet. Check your portal, mine still says under review
Similar to you, applied on the 7th and nothing yet. Check your portal, mine still says under review
honestly, id say thats a good thing. I applied on 10th September and received a rejection today. So no news is good news.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
yes - reapply. It may be generic in the sense they send it to anyone in your situation, but they are actively encouraging you to reapply.

I would always update and refine an application - when you are only in your late teens/early twenties, a lot comparatively can happen in a year. You are likely to have refined your career motivation, and experienced more relevant/important things since your last application.
Jessica, how often do recruiters go back to check if a candidate has applied previously and if they're reusing the same application?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Jessica, how often do recruiters go back to check if a candidate has applied previously and if they're reusing the same application?

Rarely.

GDPR means that for many firms that application won’t sit on the system any more.

For those it does, its too much work t read two forms when in most cases a decision can be made from reading the latest.

It’s sometimes pretty obvious if things haven’t changed in the last year though even when reading an application.

Maybe a borderline candidate that you are sitting on the fence about. Or someone who is flagged as a candidate to keep an eye out possibly, but even then in 9 times out of 10 a decision can be made from the latest application

• ℹ️
Reactions: Adam Gilchrist and Jaysen

Evelina

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
Hi guys, I applied for Sidley last year for a VS but then discovered I'd applied a year early :oops: but in their email informing me of this they said they were 'impressed with my application and we hope you will consider making an application in the next academic year', I am wondering if a) this is a generic response sent to anyone who makes the same error as me and b) since their application questions are the same is it fair enough to just submit the same responses? Any thoughts from anyone would be super helpful
omg i got the same thing! i got invited to one of their open days instead last year! I was considering sending the same app too. I am currently changing the commercial awareness answer to something more relevant to this year but the other two answers im just tweaking cos tbh i dont know how much i can really change ut

J123

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jul 12, 2019
Does anyone know what Latham's partner remuneration is like? It's an LLP so I'm assuming it might be a global partnership, but I can't find any information to corroborate this online.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
How do people get application reviews? :) I have asked my friends and family to review however I don’t know anyone in the legal industry or another applicant so would like to get my cover letters reviewed by another. Would anyone be able to direct me to where they do this, thanks so much.

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
How do people get application reviews? :) I have asked my friends and family to review however I don’t know anyone in the legal industry or another applicant so would like to get my cover letters reviewed by another. Would anyone be able to direct me to where they do this, thanks so much.

You should contact your uni's career service (if you're currently at uni) as they will look through lots of applications so will be more expert than say friends. Could also try building rapport with people on LinkedIn and then ask them to review your applications.

There are quite a few diversity networks where they provide you with mentors who look through applications (Aspiring Solicitors, Rare, SEO etc) so might also be worth making an application with them (if they are still accepting applicants)

Reactions: em311

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Speak to you university careers service - they should be able to help. You typically can still access the careers service for up to 3 years after graduating.

Some people have offered to review application on here too.

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020

Agree with what others have already suggested. Additionally, if you've graduated (so no uni careers advice office) and/or don't fall meet the diversity requirements for Rare/Aspiring Solicitors etc, then TCLA premium (which includes a free review per month) is always an option too, albeit one you have to pay for: https://classes.thecorporatelawacademy.com/

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Agree with what others have already suggested. Additionally, if you've graduated (so no uni careers advice office) and/or don't fall meet the diversity requirements for Rare/Aspiring Solicitors etc, then TCLA premium (which includes a free review per month) is always an option too, albeit one you have to pay for: https://classes.thecorporatelawacademy.com/

I’d stress most universities still allow graduates to access their careers service after they have left. Some indefinitely, some up to 5 years, some up to 3 years, but now with many at least 2 years because if you are unemployed 15 months after graduating, it screws up their rankings!

SPB

M&A Bootcamp
Jul 28, 2020
Hi everyone, long-time lurker here. Although I haven’t posted much, I check these forums almost every day. The people on TCLA and their stories have helped me greatly in what I can safely say has been the most taxing two years of my life!

Yesterday, I received a training contract offer. It took two cycles and no fewer than 31 applications, four interviews and a vac scheme to get there.

If I could offer one piece of advice, it would be to put yourself out there and talk to people who are on the same journey as you. I didn’t for a long time and all those rejections hurt that much more when the only people I told didn’t understand the TC process properly.

Of course, I can’t recommend a TCLA premium subscription enough. The courses, case studies and application reviews have been invaluable. Thank you to Jaysen and to everyone else who has contributed to them!

I’m a slightly older career changer. If there is anyone who is in a similar position, feels a bit on the outside and would like to have a chat, please feel free to message me!

SPB

M&A Bootcamp
Jul 28, 2020
Hi everyone, long-time lurker here. Although I haven’t posted much, I check these forums almost every day. The people on TCLA and their stories have helped me greatly in what I can safely say has been the most taxing two years of my life!

Yesterday, I received a training contract offer. It took two cycles and no fewer than 31 applications, four interviews and a vac scheme to get there.

If I could offer one piece of advice, it would be to put yourself out there and talk to people who are on the same journey as you. I didn’t for a long time and all those rejections hurt that much more when the only people I told didn’t understand the TC process properly.

Of course, I can’t recommend a TCLA premium subscription enough. The courses, case studies and application reviews have been invaluable. Thank you to Jaysen and to everyone else who has contributed to them!

I’m a slightly older career changer. If there is anyone who is in a similar position, feels a bit on the outside and would like to have a chat, please feel free to message me!

Hi there

I would certainly be interested in having a chat with yourself, esp from the angle of a career changer?

How do we connect?

Thanks

gricole

Legendary Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    Rarely.

GDPR means that for many firms that application won’t sit on the system any more.

For those it does, its too much work t read two forms when in most cases a decision can be made from reading the latest.

It’s sometimes pretty obvious if things haven’t changed in the last year though even when reading an application.

Maybe a borderline candidate that you are sitting on the fence about. Or someone who is flagged as a candidate to keep an eye out possibly, but even then in 9 times out of 10 a decision can be made from the latest application

Who flags candidates to look out for? Is that a good or a bad thing?

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    Rarely.

I see, thank you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.