General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Has anyone got advice for applying for vac schemes whilst working full time? I graduated and work as a paralegal but I know a lot of firms predominantly hire through vac schemes, but I don’t have that much holiday with my current position and I’m worried that they’ll refuse to let me technically go try out for another job lol

I’m in the same position! I just started a job as a court clerk and I’m still on probation so I know I won’t be able to take the time off I need for a winter vac scheme!!

I’m actually just going to apply to vac schemes and see if I get past the first round then deal with getting time off later. I’m planning to ask my manager at our monthly meeting if I’m actually able to do a vac scheme but it’s really hard when you only have 25 days of holiday :/ I’m also considering some direct TCs but most of my top firms hire through vac schemes so I’d prefer the VS route!

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Rejection from Sidley Austin 2022 TC :'(

Really thought I nailed my answers on this one. Did anyone hear back positively? Want to know if it's just that they filled their TC from the VS cohort or...
    Sorry to hear this. They do fill a lot of their places from their VS and I suspect even more due to COVID because its harder for firms to build trust over one virtual AC!

SportsThoughts

Star Member
    Jun 4, 2019
    Has anyone here done a final round interview with Travers Smith and can offer any advice?

I had the final round interview this time last year.

I found it much more intense than the first (which I thought was relatively straight forward). Really try and let your personality shine through despite difficult questions you might get asked (don't let these throw you). They want to learn more about you and what you get up to in your spare time, the 'are you going to be a decent person to work with' really rings true in the interview.

I faced a lot of loaded questions about tax, diversity in law, and integrity. When you're answering these definitely hold your ground but without being dogmatic. Talk through your thought processes, and if you don't know the answer to something make it clear you're not entirely sure "but based on my experience in X field I would approach thinking about thins question in X way because of X".

Feel free to drop me a DM for anything specific - good luck!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Amrik Bains

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    I'm currently filling out my undergraduate modules for Simmons & Simmons but they are asking for the 'Letter Grade' next to our 'Number Grade'. Does anyone know what this is?

Its likely there for people who received letter grades rather than, or in addition to, number grades. My US undergraduate degree only gave me letter grades, with no percentages at all, so A's, B's, C's etc.

Phoebe

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 25, 2018
    I’m in the same position! I just started a job as a court clerk and I’m still on probation so I know I won’t be able to take the time off I need for a winter vac scheme!!

I’m actually just going to apply to vac schemes and see if I get past the first round then deal with getting time off later. I’m planning to ask my manager at our monthly meeting if I’m actually able to do a vac scheme but it’s really hard when you only have 25 days of holiday :/ I’m also considering some direct TCs but most of my top firms hire through vac schemes so I’d prefer the VS route!

I'm also working full time (as a paralegal) and applying for vac schemes. I spoke to my manager about it and she said I could take vac schemes as unpaid leave rather than holiday - I'm not sure if everywhere would be the same or its because I do work for a genuinely very supportive team/firm because that way I wouldn't need to use up precious holiday!

• 🤝
    Reactions: thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I'm also working full time (as a paralegal) and applying for vac schemes. I spoke to my manager about it and she said I could take vac schemes as unpaid leave rather than holiday - I'm not sure if everywhere would be the same or its because I do work for a genuinely very supportive team/firm because that way I wouldn't need to use up precious holiday!

Ooo that sounds really good! Sounds like a lovely place to work too! Idk if the government works differently but I may ask!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.