Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Jessica, when writing a cover letter, should we include our and / or the firm's address at the top? What about if word count or page space are cramped, should we include addresses even if it's limiting the content we can write?

If you can format it - for instance if it is an uploaded document

Or you can align it like you can on this forum​

General rule is to go with all the formalities, even if it cuts down your space.

You can write multiple lines of your address on the same line if you are really scrambling for an extra line or two - eg:

Flat 8, 24 Sun Road
London, W14 8BV

Also play around with your line spacing. That sometimes helps if you need a little extra space.

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    If you can format it - for instance if it is an uploaded document

Or you can align it like you can on this forum​

General rule is to go with all the formalities, even if it cuts down your space.

You can write multiple lines of your address on the same line if you are really scrambling for an extra line or two - eg:

Flat 8, 24 Sun Road
    London, W14 8BV

Also play around with your line spacing. That sometimes helps if you need a little extra space.

For the Skadden application form, there is a box to put your 'cover letter' for Why Skadden and Why You, but it is limited to 300 words. Do you think in this instance it is okay to get rid of the formalities (Address, Dear XX, Yours Sincerely etc) and just have two paragraphs answering the questions?

Reactions: Quanto881766

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For the Skadden application form, there is a box to put your 'cover letter' for Why Skadden and Why You, but it is limited to 300 words. Do you think in this instance it is okay to get rid of the formalities (Address, Dear XX, Yours Sincerely etc) and just have two paragraphs answering the questions?

Yes, if it’s only 300 words that is fine. Sounds like you wouldn’t be able to format it anyway.

Reactions: WannabeSolicitor24

DrowninginSQE

Legendary Member
    Sep 23, 2020
    I got a direct TC rejection from them two weeks ago (applied in July I think) . So I guess it is good that you have not heard anything yet.
    I submitted my Winter anyway because I don’t want to be disadvantaged if it’s rolling so I suppose they have two apps to go through. Does anyone know if they did ACs for either the TC last year or the winter for this year?

Paul - Shearman & Sterling

Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 5, 2019
    That's fair, but I would keep in mind that using a partner as an example in this sort of case should always be done with a heavy pinch of salt. He or she is probably a good 15-20 years out of the application process, which by all accounts has become far more competitive - and far less flexible - than it used to be. It's not dissimilar to the invariable example of commercial barristers with 2.2s, who happen to be of an age/entered the profession when that wasn't the hindrance it is now.

That said, other than S&M (and maybe Shearman & Sterling?), most firms don't place a massive emphasis on individual module grades - what matters is your overall degree award. The only point is of course if you are reading law/jurisprudence and do particularly badly on a particular module, especially if it's related to the firm's business, it might be something they might ask you to explain.

Anecdotally, most of the people I know with TCs have low to mid 2.1s, including at several MC/US firms, so going by that small sample size, I doubt it is that much of a barrier.

@Adam Gilchrist I don't believe we look at individual module grades differently than most law firms. A 2.2 in jurisprudence certainly wouldn't rule anyone out.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Thanks,

Paul

csyn

Star Member
    Feb 3, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I applied earlier for King & Spalding's March/Sept 2020 TC before their 31 July 2020 deadline, yet have heard nothing back from them. I have just seen they are now recruiting for their March/Sept 2020 TC's with another deadline of 31 December 2020. The questions for the new 31 Dec 2020 TC are the same as the 31 July 2020 TC application.

I have emailed recruitment asking when we can expect rejections, but heard nothing. Should I assume I've been flat-out rejected, or that they've paused recruiting? I ask as I don't know whether I should use my 31 Jul answers for the new 31 Dec TC application?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.