General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
I’d generally go with all formalities. I have seen some people use their telephone number and email address instead of an address though.
Got it, thank you! Does it change anything if we know the name of the person we're writing to, e.g. should we include their name at the top as so:

Joe Bloggs
Law Firm LLP
10 Main Street
London ABC 123

And should we include our own name above our address?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Got it, thank you! Does it change anything if we know the name of the person we're writing to, e.g. should we include their name at the top as so:

Joe Bloggs
Law Firm LLP
10 Main Street
London ABC 123

And should we include our own name above our address?

Yes, both your name and theirs. I’d you don’t know their name, it can be addressed to Graduate Recruitment or something else like that which is appropriate

Adam Gilchrist

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
Highest Rated Member
May 4, 2020
Hi all, is there a list anywhere or does anyone have any good resources that detail whether firms' winter vacation schemes are running virtually or in person? Or does anyone know specifically about any firms? For example, I am unsure if Stephenson Harwood is continuing as planned or swapping to virtual but I know that Shearman & Sterling has moved the winter to spring in hope of being able to run as originally planned.
HSF confirmed on instagram that their scheme will be virtual

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jaysen
D

Deleted member 2707

Hi guys, this might sound like a stupid question but I just wanted to double-check. I emailed HSF regarding re-applications in the same cycle and they replied with "Yes as you passed the online test you are able to re-apply to another scheme." Does this mean I can apply for another VS (for example summer) or it has to be a different type of scheme (ie: direct TC)?

Lawbour

Legendary Member
Dec 25, 2018
Hi guys, this might sound like a stupid question but I just wanted to double-check. I emailed HSF regarding re-applications in the same cycle and they replied with "Yes as you passed the online test you are able to re-apply to another scheme." Does this mean I can apply for another VS (for example summer) or it has to be a different type of scheme (ie: direct TC)?

you can apply for the summer scheme or spring scheme... don't think they really do direct TC apps

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Mar 17, 2020
Hi all, I was just wondering how long the verbal reasoning and logical reasoning tests take to complete for Simmons & Simmons? I'm sharing a working space at the moment and need to reserve time to have working space undisturbed. Thank you!

Last edited:

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 21, 2019
Rejected from sidley. Same thing has happened as with NRF. Submitted late one evening then two days later a rejection! They use the same platform for applications and now I am just so confused. I could appreciate this happening once and it being chance. I have higher grades than last year and two new works experiences and meet the A-level criteria. The only thing I can think of is that for Sidley I said that I had applied before but was not eligible that year. Could it be that they automatically filter out applications if someone has applied before? Frustrated because Sidley asked me to apply again this year but have rejected me very quickly despite me thinking my application was possibly the best I have written. Last year I got rejected after a few weeks despite not even being eligible that year and this time it has been less than 48 hours.

keenaspiringlawyer

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 2, 2020
Which firms (anecdotally speaking) are more stringent on (undergrad) module grades? I have a good set of results but nothing spectacular - are there any firms (based on academic requirements) who aren't as fussed as other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.