General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 4851

Seeing a few people get rejected from Sidley, I’m sure your other applications will come through!!! Were your applications for the 2022 TC or for winters? Thanks!
Some said that they got the rejections really soon after applying. So I would guess that it must be for the winter vac scheme as the deadline for 2022 direct TC was in July.

Reactions: DrowninginSQE

champ591

Star Member
Feb 5, 2020
Hi everyone - tho not a frequent poster on TCLA, I visit the forum almost everyday and feel so blessed to be part of such an amazing, motivated group of young lawyers. Just thought I'd share some happy news that I've received recently and spread the positivity :) *particularly long post, aimed primarily at international students*

I'm an international student, graduated with a UK law degree years ago which I followed with an LLM. I struggled to get a TC in London and my morale took a severe hit over the years - the difficulties that come with having to navigate visa struggles only added to my problems. My grades were fine and my applications were decent.. I genuinely believed that I had the aptitude, the work experience, the extra curriculars, but for some reason never quite found the perfect fit.

I decided to focus on qualifying as a lawyer back home. Whilst I always wanted to go into the corporate practice (most of my work experience and even my masters focused on transactional matters), I realised I had a natural inclination towards disputes resolution, litigation and contentious work in general. This piqued my interest, I ended up following my heart (lol as cliche as it may sound) and I've just been offered a role in this line of work with an international law firm, with opportunities to work with their London HQ in future. This was after the most enjoyable application process (in comparison to the numerous applications I've sent out for a TC in London).. I felt so welcomed and at home during the interview and honestly couldn't be happier.

My story is quite different to the success stories on the forum but not all happy endings have to begin with signing a TC offer with a commercial law firm in the City. I've seen quite a few international students struggling with visa issues on the forum.. I know what it is like to move to a different country for university, having to adapt to an entirely new surrounding whilst trying to figure out how the TC application process works in the UK, not being able to go on vac schemes due to visa restrictions and not securing a TC before your visa expires.

My only tip would be, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Be proactive and reach out to firms to confirm if they would sponsor visas - you'd be surprised to learn that some of the smaller firms are sometimes more flexible with these things. Enjoy the international exposure as much as you can and use it your benefit - adaptability and knowledge of the culture and commerce in different regions are key qualities that make a successful lawyer.

And if you aren't successful in getting a TC in the first instance (or second.. or third.. or fifth..).. take some time to process it but please know that it isn't the end of the road. Whilst the prospect of moving back home can be daunting, what you deserve will find its way to you when the time is right. Good luck!

And please feel free to PM if you have any questions for me, I’ll try and help where I can :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
And please feel free to PM if you have any questions for me, I’ll try and help where I can :)

Love the frankness and advice of this post, but mostly the fantastic news that you have found something that is right for you.

London isn’t everything and especially now with the SQE coming in, people could gain their experience outside of the U.K. much easier than ever before. It is really worthwhile considering options outside of London/the U.K. in my opinion - especially with all the different things going on at the moment.

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Rejection from jones day. Absolutely heartbroken because I spent so long on the application & I really thought it was good. :(
So sorry to hear this! There will definitely be other firms and this is just the start of the application season!

Can I ask when you applied?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone - tho not a frequent poster on TCLA, I visit the forum almost everyday and feel so blessed to be part of such an amazing, motivated group of young lawyers. Just thought I'd share some happy news that I've received recently and spread the positivity :) *particularly long post, aimed primarily at international students*

I'm an international student, graduated with a UK law degree years ago which I followed with an LLM. I struggled to get a TC in London and my morale took a severe hit over the years - the difficulties that come with having to navigate visa struggles only added to my problems. My grades were fine and my applications were decent.. I genuinely believed that I had the aptitude, the work experience, the extra curriculars, but for some reason never quite found the perfect fit.

I decided to focus on qualifying as a lawyer back home. Whilst I always wanted to go into the corporate practice (most of my work experience and even my masters focused on transactional matters), I realised I had a natural inclination towards disputes resolution, litigation and contentious work in general. This piqued my interest, I ended up following my heart (lol as cliche as it may sound) and I've just been offered a role in this line of work with an international law firm, with opportunities to work with their London HQ in future. This was after the most enjoyable application process (in comparison to the numerous applications I've sent out for a TC in London).. I felt so welcomed and at home during the interview and honestly couldn't be happier.

My story is quite different to the success stories on the forum but not all happy endings have to begin with signing a TC offer with a commercial law firm in the City. I've seen quite a few international students struggling with visa issues on the forum.. I know what it is like to move to a different country for university, having to adapt to an entirely new surrounding whilst trying to figure out how the TC application process works in the UK, not being able to go on vac schemes due to visa restrictions and not securing a TC before your visa expires.

My only tip would be, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Be proactive and reach out to firms to confirm if they would sponsor visas - you'd be surprised to learn that some of the smaller firms are sometimes more flexible with these things. Enjoy the international exposure as much as you can and use it your benefit - adaptability and knowledge of the culture and commerce in different regions are key qualities that make a successful lawyer.

And if you aren't successful in getting a TC in the first instance (or second.. or third.. or fifth..).. take some time to process it but please know that it isn't the end of the road. Whilst the prospect of moving back home can be daunting, what you deserve will find its way to you when the time is right. Good luck!

Sounds like you've really thought this through and you've found a firm that's right for you. Well done :)

D

Deleted member 2707

Rejections from HSF (applied 2/10, passed test on 9/10) and NRF (applied 18/10). They seem to be getting back pretty quickly at least! Hope everyone is doing ok :)

I also got rejected from HSF so I know how you feel- if its any consolation, you can apply for another scheme this year if you've passed their online tests! I'm still waiting on NRF but its probably a rejection seeing as I haven't even got the WG link :')

• 🤝
    Reactions: YFA

keenaspiringlawyer

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 2, 2020
    I also got rejected from HSF so I know how you feel- if its any consolation, you can apply for another scheme this year if you've passed their online tests! I'm still waiting on NRF but its probably a rejection seeing as I haven't even got the WG link :')

Sorry, I might be being dumb but could you send the link where HSF say I can apply again if rejected in the same cycle? Thanks

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Has anyone ever used congrapps before? Don't know if it's worth paying for but the desperation is starting to hit!
    Wouldn't recommend paying but if you have any successful applications (VI/interview stage) then you can upload them in exchange for credits. Many applications are tailored but it can be useful to see exactly how they are tailored.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Has anyone ever used congrapps before? Don't know if it's worth paying for but the desperation is starting to hit!

You’d be basically buying descriptions of someone else experiences and motivations that you cannot genuinely replicate.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    What are people’s thoughts on
    i think you should pay for one, pick a law firm that has a generic cover letter. It really helped me see how much detail is needed & the structure. I think one application to view is like £5, which is a few pounds shy of my daily coffee so I don’t really see it as a waste of money. I wouldn’t recommend buying one for every single application but if you’re struggling with structure then it’s helpful to see other successful apps.

Reactions: NadineBusty

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    Thanks for the multiple responses about congrapps! Won't be using them ;) the main reason I asked was that I have heard for slaughters that they like a really short cover letter. When speaking at an event they said to use it for mitigating circumstances or to explain a bad result. What are people's thoughts on sending in a cover letter that is only about two lines? I sent a half page one last year and was unsuccessful so think it might be worth the risk.

Reactions: NadineBusty
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.