Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,

Silly question but what does it mean for a CV to be more factual, as opposed to skills-based?

Factual means you just show what you have done, rather than lead with identifying skills and then attaching evidence/experience to those skills. Claiming skills isn’t actually factual - it is an opinion you developed those skill and that they are your strengths. Factual CVs are showing actual experience that can be verified (eg academics, work experience) and focus on what you actually did.

Factual just is another word from a traditional CV.

I don’t really like skills based CVs as it gets much more difficult to work our what you do when and in what order, or if just creates unnecessary repetition as people claim they skills, show evidence and then resort to a factual CV anyway.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Staples and Lawbour

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker I sent off my application for Akin Gump and I stupidly decided to read it again after I submitted it and I noticed one inconsistency in my capitalisation. In my work experience section, I wrote Baker Mckenzie with a lower case 'k' as the employer but then wrote it correctly with a capital 'k' in the details of the work experience. The rest of the app is perfect, probably one of my strongest apps ever, do you know if any firms will just reject your application if they find a mistake?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker I sent off my application for Akin Gump and I stupidly decided to read it again after I submitted it and I noticed one inconsistency in my capitalisation. In my work experience section, I wrote Baker Mckenzie with a lower case 'k' as the employer but then wrote it correctly with a capital 'k' in the details of the work experience. The rest of the app is perfect, probably one of my strongest apps ever, do you know if any firms will just reject your application if they find a mistake?
    Honestly I think you'll be fine - they may not even notice it particularly if it's as minor as that!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

highly unlikely something like this alone will lead to a rejection

D

Deleted member 2707

Hi! I'm just completing my Skadden Open Day application. When I navigate to the additional questions tab this was what I saw (picture attached below). There was no word limit or anything of the sort and I was wondering how long of an answer are they expecting. Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-31 at 22.21.36.png
      Screenshot 2020-10-31 at 22.21.36.png
      59.3 KB · Views: 53

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
    Aug 26, 2020
    Hi! I'm just completing my Skadden Open Day application. When I navigate to the additional questions tab this was what I saw (picture attached below). There was no word limit or anything of the sort and I was wondering how long of an answer are they expecting. Thank you!

Hi, where did you find the link for the open day please? I can only find the application for a vacation scheme?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.