Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
could anyone give me some advice about this? So, like 2 months ago I applied for a firm's virtual insight day and virtual open day at the same time. I got into the virtual insight day, but they rejected me for the open day due to 'limited attendance numbers'. my application for the days was kind of half-assed cause they basically just asked for a mini cv and 2 questions and I was busy and not sure about the firm so i was surprised I got into the insight day at all. however I did really like the firm on the insight day and it kind of changed my mind about them. now I'm thinking maybe i want to apply for their vacation scheme.

do you think i have a chance at their vs? i would definitely be able to write a better standard of application i know- since now I know quite a bit about the firm and i would fully showcase everything as i would on any vs application. however considering I did put down most of my achievements, work exp etc on the mini cv (just with little detail) and they werent interested in giving me a place on the open day, i wonder if it may not be worth it to really take the time to do a good vs app. Ik it's my decision but just wondering if anyone else might have a perspective or similar experience.

There would be little point inviting someone to both events - that probably explains the unsuccessful application in my eyes.

Reactions: Kablahc

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
could anyone give me some advice about this? So, like 2 months ago I applied for a firm's virtual insight day and virtual open day at the same time. I got into the virtual insight day, but they rejected me for the open day due to 'limited attendance numbers'. my application for the days was kind of half-assed cause they basically just asked for a mini cv and 2 questions and I was busy and not sure about the firm so i was surprised I got into the insight day at all. however I did really like the firm on the insight day and it kind of changed my mind about them. now I'm thinking maybe i want to apply for their vacation scheme.

do you think i have a chance at their vs? i would definitely be able to write a better standard of application i know- since now I know quite a bit about the firm and i would fully showcase everything as i would on any vs application. however considering I did put down most of my achievements, work exp etc on the mini cv (just with little detail) and they werent interested in giving me a place on the open day, i wonder if it may not be worth it to really take the time to do a good vs app. Ik it's my decision but just wondering if anyone else might have a perspective or similar experience.
Was it Forsters?

Lawgirl123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jun 22, 2020
    Does anyone have any advice for an interview where the questions might be "why you" "why law" "why this firm" but you've already answered them on your cover letter? Is it wise to repeat what you've written ?? Feel as though that would be more genuine but they already have all that information!

c1070

Esteemed Member
    Mar 4, 2020
    Has anyone who had a place on the cancelled 2020 Forsters vac scheme heard anything from them since summer?? They said they’d interview us for a 2022 direct TC instead but I haven’t had any responses to my emails and now the 2023 apps are open..?

arbitracion

Star Member
  • Sep 28, 2020
    Hi there, I'm about to send off my application for the winter vac scheme at White & Case (deadline is today). However, given that it's on a rolling basis, should I just wait and apply for a spring vac scheme?

juswantavacscheme

Dec 28, 2019
    Hi there, I'm about to send off my application for the winter vac scheme at White & Case (deadline is today). However, given that it's on a rolling basis, should I just wait and apply for a spring vac scheme?
    yeah I would say so, they've already sent out VI invites and I don't think you would be maximising your chances sending off an app at this stage, so save it for when you can get it in early in the application window

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone have any advice for an interview where the questions might be "why you" "why law" "why this firm" but you've already answered them on your cover letter? Is it wise to repeat what you've written ?? Feel as though that would be more genuine but they already have all that information!

you’ll need to explain these questions in more depth in an interview. Just repeating the information on your application form will not be sufficient - it will need more depth/explanations/rationale as to why you are saying what you are stating

• ℹ️
    Reactions: M1999 and nicole88

hunter

Star Member
  • Oct 30, 2020
    Is it true that Winter Vac schemes are more competitive than summer ones?
    Are you more likely to get a TC from a winter vac scheme than a summer one as it's the start of the recruitment cycle?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I understand it depends on the cycle but I would have thought Winter is less competitive? The application window is much smaller and the pool of candidates are also smaller as typically only final years and graduates can apply. Interested to hear your thoughts.

No really doesn’t work like that either. Here are just some of the factors that make a scheme more or less competitive:

Application window
    Eligibility
    Number of places available
    Dates of scheme
    Whether it’s virtual or not
    How much it is paid + other benefits
    Dates of competitors‘ schemes
    If it clashes with term dates
    How heavily it is promoted
    How many people apply
    How good the quality of the people are who are applying
    When the recruitment process runs
    How many stages of the recruitment process there are
    General brand and PR of the firm at that particular time of year

There are so many variables that the same firm could have their summer scheme more competitive one year, and then their winter the next.

It’s really not as simplistic as just eligibility

• ℹ️
    Reactions: tractor12

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    No really doesn’t work like that either. Here are just some of the factors that make a scheme more or less competitive:

Application window
    Eligibility
    Number of places available
    Dates of scheme
    Whether it’s virtual or not
    How much it is paid + other benefits
    Dates of competitors‘ schemes
    If it clashes with term dates
    How heavily it is promoted
    How many people apply
    How good the quality of the people are who are applying
    When the recruitment process runs
    How many stages of the recruitment process there are
    General brand and PR of the firm at that particular time of year

There are so many variables that the same firm could have their summer scheme more competitive one year, and then their winter the next.

It’s really not as simplistic as just eligibility

How does it being virtual affect it? I'm guessing it makes it more accessible and therefore more competitive as geographic location is no longer a factor, but I may be missing something.

• 📥
    Reactions: CallumJR and Kcv

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How does it being virtual affect it? I'm guessing it makes it more accessible and therefore more competitive as geographic location is no longer a factor, but I may be missing something.

Opens it up to many more people - lots of people can’t afford to move to London for a week or two

At the same time, some people don’t want to do virtual schemes, so seem to be applying predominately to Spring/summer programmes instead

Reactions: whisperingrock
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.