General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
Hi guys, I have a question about the following Baker McKenzie question:

...Please outline which diversity & inclusion Baker groups you would support, and detail any initiatives you may have previously been involved in. (300 words max)*

It sounds like I am just supposed to name the support groups and then spend the rest of the answer talking about my initiatives in detail. Is that right? Or will I have to also go into detail about how exactly I would support the groups? I don't mind doing the latter if necessary, but I just don't know what I would be allowed to do to support the groups.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys, I have a question about the following Baker McKenzie question:

...Please outline which diversity & inclusion Baker groups you would support, and detail any initiatives you may have previously been involved in. (300 words max)*

It sounds like I am just supposed to name the support groups and then spend the rest of the answer talking about my initiatives in detail. Is that right? Or will I have to also go into detail about how exactly I would support the groups? I don't mind doing the latter if necessary, but I just don't know what I would be allowed to do to support the groups.

Having seen many answers to this application, people approach this in different ways. Some identify the groups, then explain why they have identified those groups, often highlighting what they have done in that sphere previously or why it is of interest to them, and then they typically round up by saying how they would hope to contribute to those groups within the firm if they were to join.

Reactions: NikkiT

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
Having seen many answers to this application, people approach this in different ways. Some identify the groups, then explain why they have identified those groups, often highlighting what they have done in that sphere previously or why it is of interest to them, and then they typically round up by saying how they would hope to contribute to those groups within the firm if they were to join.

You're a star, thank you very much!

tractor12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 6, 2019
No really doesn’t work like that either. Here are just some of the factors that make a scheme more or less competitive:

Application window
Eligibility
Number of places available
Dates of scheme
Whether it’s virtual or not
How much it is paid + other benefits
Dates of competitors‘ schemes
If it clashes with term dates
How heavily it is promoted
How many people apply
How good the quality of the people are who are applying
When the recruitment process runs
How many stages of the recruitment process there are
General brand and PR of the firm at that particular time of year

There are so many variables that the same firm could have their summer scheme more competitive one year, and then their winter the next.

It’s really not as simplistic as just eligibility
I see thanks Jess!

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
I don't know if this is a silly question, but you can copy answers from your open day application onto your vacation scheme application right? My open day app was successful and there's a big chunk that I can copy over, but I don't know if it's like uni where you can't copy from your previous essays.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I don't know if this is a silly question, but you can copy answers from your open day application onto your vacation scheme application right? My open day app was successful and there's a big chunk that I can copy over, but I don't know if it's like uni where you can't copy from your previous essays.

I personally wouldn't.

There may be sections that won't have changed - e.g. descriptions of your previous work experience for example.

But I would expect an open day to change/refine your motivations for commercial law and obviously for the firm.

You may have also done other things since your open day application (events, seminars, virtual courses) that may have developed your skill set.

You are also applying for a different vacancy/opportunity - an open day is very different to a vacation scheme. So there could be changes there too.

Also, just because your open day application was successful, doesn't mean your vac scheme will be.

So always look at how you could improve/refine/develop your application.

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
Aug 26, 2020
I personally wouldn't.

There may be sections that won't have changed - e.g. descriptions of your previous work experience for example.

But I would expect an open day to change/refine your motivations for commercial law and obviously for the firm.

You may have also done other things since your open day application (events, seminars, virtual courses) that may have developed your skill set.

You are also applying for a different vacancy/opportunity - an open day is very different to a vacation scheme. So there could be changes there too.

Also, just because your open day application was successful, doesn't mean your vac scheme will be.

So always look at how you could improve/refine/develop your application.

Thank you!

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Was it Forsters?

yep haha, really wasnt interested in the firm at all but enjoyed the insight thing, might just give it ago although I'm still waiting for their response to my 2022 direct tc app - mystifying how theyve done all of these events but still not got back to the vac schemers or tc applicants

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.