Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hi @Jessica Booker if a firm asks about a deal that they have worked on, can I talk about a dispute the litigation department worked on, or does it have to be a transaction?

Although deal suggests a transaction, I think this might just be clunky wording on the firm’s part, and that a case would be fine too. Probably worthwhile checking with someone who knows about that specific firm though.

Reactions: Sekani Wraith

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
For situational questions, such as " If you fell behind on a piece of work", or struggling to meet assigned work deadlines, how would one answer that? I honestly would have no idea what firms are looking for when they ask this type of question.. Personally I would just work longer and finish it , but I'm not sure if this is a useful answer

Any help would be appreciated :)

Hi, @Jessica Booker! Was wondering if you would have any suggestions on this question too :)

I would say I would share the workload with another member of the team. If the rest of the team is busy, I think it is important to be honest and transparent with my supervisor (or the person assigning me the work) so as to prevent the situation from snowballing out of control.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, @Jessica Booker! Was wondering if you would have any suggestions on this question too :)

I would say I would share the workload with another member of the team. If the rest of the team is busy, I think it is important to be honest and transparent with my supervisor (or the person assigning me the work) so as to prevent the situation from snowballing out of control.

working longer won’t always be the the practical solution, especially on its own. Reality is you will probably you need to take a range of approaches.

This might be a useful post

4Ds

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 37
Mar 4, 2020
@Jessica Booker Jess, I recently had a fairly short phone interview (15 - 20 mins), it consisted of maybe 4 - 5 competency / motivational questions, and at the end the interviewer said something along the lines of "Ok, thanks for your answers, just to let you know you should find out the outcome of your interview by the end of the week and if you've made it through, we'll be in touch next week to set up the AC. Do you have any questions?". I thanked her and went with the questions I'd been meaning to ask, something about their international opportunities and secondments.

But the thing is, it felt very unnatural for some reason. Maybe it was due to the short length of the interview, maybe because of her tone which almost seemed to indicate "do you have any questions about what I just said", I don't know, but thinking about it in retrospect, my question re secondments seems now like the most rehearsed, artificial question ever (and her answer wasn't too enthusiastic either, further lending to my belief).

Is it possible that in short phone interviews, my questions for them should be different than the ones I'd ask after a full-scale interview? Or even entirely omitted?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Jess, I recently had a fairly short phone interview (15 - 20 mins), it consisted of maybe 4 - 5 competency / motivational questions, and at the end the interviewer said something along the lines of "Ok, thanks for your answers, just to let you know you should find out the outcome of your interview by the end of the week and if you've made it through, we'll be in touch next week to set up the AC. Do you have any questions?". I thanked her and went with the questions I'd been meaning to ask, something about their international opportunities and secondments.

But the thing is, it felt very unnatural for some reason. Maybe it was due to the short length of the interview, maybe because of her tone which almost seemed to indicate "do you have any questions about what I just said", I don't know, but thinking about it in retrospect, my question re secondments seems now like the most rehearsed, artificial question ever (and her answer wasn't too enthusiastic either, further lending to my belief).

Is it possible that in short phone interviews, my questions for them should be different than the ones I'd ask after a full-scale interview? Or even entirely omitted?

You are over thinking this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So there's no difference in the questions I should be asking in interviews of different length?

no - there will just be fewer questions.

I think your over analysing the situation. It’s very common for candidates to do this. But the interviewer was asking you if you had any general questions, not whether you had specific questions about the next stage.

I’ll be frank - the person doing the interview was either 1) doing a lot of them and/or 2) is an outsourced person doing it. I have had to do telephone interviews like that before and it’s pretty monotonous because you are asking very similar question to candidates many times over, usually close together, which is why they might have seemed less engaged in the process.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

With telephone interviews, I know it's hard to gauge what something is thinking, and it's easy to read into the way they say things. As Jess said, the interviewer will be calling many other candidates, which probably explains her tone and lack of enthusiasm when answering the question.

It's a fair point about you thinking your question came across as rehearsed. It sounds to me like this may not have been a genuine/necessary question to ask, but I doubt the interviewer thought anything of it.

Going forward, it sounds to me that this is more a case of choosing 'genuine' questions, especially if you felt this came across as artificial/rehearsed. As a general rule, I wouldn't be asking overly long questions, although this is something that is probably easier in a face to face interview than a telephone conversation.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Rene, OB and Jessica Booker

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    I have a dilemma! I need to complete the Mayer Brown tests but I didn't realise my extra time had not been already added and the deadline for these tests is Monday - I've already emailed to ask for the extra time, but as it is Friday, they may not look at it until Monday and it'll be too late by then - what can I do?!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have a dilemma! I need to complete the Mayer Brown tests but I didn't realise my extra time had not been already added and the deadline for these tests is Monday - I've already emailed to ask for the extra time, but as it is Friday, they may not look at it until Monday and it'll be too late by then - what can I do?!

wait for the extra time to be applied. The deadline will be extended

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    no - there will just be fewer questions.

I think your over analysing the situation. It’s very common for candidates to do this. But the interviewer was asking you if you had any general questions, not whether you had specific questions about the next stage.

I’ll be frank - the person doing the interview was either 1) doing a lot of them and/or 2) is an outsourced person doing it. I have had to do telephone interviews like that before and it’s pretty monotonous because you are asking very similar question to candidates many times over, usually close together, which is why they might have seemed less engaged in the process.
    I see, thanks so much that makes a lot of sense!

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    With telephone interviews, I know it's hard to gauge what something is thinking, and it's easy to read into the way they say things. As Jess said, the interviewer will be calling many other candidates, which probably explains her tone and lack of enthusiasm when answering the question.

It's a fair point about you thinking your question came across as rehearsed. It sounds to me like this may not have been a genuine/necessary question to ask, but I doubt the interviewer thought anything of it.

Going forward, it sounds to me that this is more a case of choosing 'genuine' questions, especially if you felt this came across as artificial/rehearsed. As a general rule, I wouldn't be asking overly long questions, although this is something that is probably easier in a face to face interview than a telephone conversation.
    Hmm that's a good point. I've heard firms saying you should only ask questions that genuinely interest you and that will help you find out more about the firm and make your decision. Is this a case of "tailoring" your question based on your own background? E.g. something along the lines of "Given I did X which sparked my interest in Y, I'm wondering about your firm's Z" - or is that too wordy / not genuine?

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hmm that's a good point. I've heard firms saying you should only ask questions that genuinely interest you and that will help you find out more about the firm and make your decision. Is this a case of "tailoring" your question based on your own background? E.g. something along the lines of "Given I did X which sparked my interest in Y, I'm wondering about your firm's Z" - or is that too wordy / not genuine?
    Interviews are a two way conversation where while the firm is learning about you, you are able to ask any genuine questions of interest you have. I know it’s good to ask questions at the end but I don’t think you should be treating it as such an assessed part of the interview.

Also the type of question you ask depends on the type of interview and who is interviewing you. E.g. something specific to the partner and their work/experience isn’t suitable to ask Grad Rec but also a specific question about the recruitment process isn’t suitable to ask the partner.

Numerius Negidius

Legendary Member
    Aug 8, 2020
    Is it appropriate to ask a superior in a student run organisation for Akin Gump's "company/organisation" reference? I worked last year but I doubt my boss still remembers me, and my work and volunteering this year has all been delayed or cancelled because of corona.

What do firms ask for from company referees? Is it just to confirm the work experience, or will they ask for a call or a detailed letter?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.