Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @Jaysen Hi, I hope I find you well! I just wanted to send an app for a review and I was wondering whether if a send an app tomorrow (Tuesday) by 5pm, I will get it by the end of day on Friday? ( I have been using only fast track now so not sure how the standard "within three working days" works. )

Yep - if it's a standard review we can guarantee a return by end of day Friday :).

• ℹ️
    Reactions: nicole88 and NadineBusty

CF

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 25, 2018
    Hey, did you get confirmation of your registration? There is another webinar tomorrow and I registered but not received any emails!

Hi, I did not receive confirmation of my registration. Last week they sent an email with the log in details around 3/4pm the day before, so hopefully we should be sent the link for tomorrow evening's webinar at some point this afternoon!

Helpme12345

Valued Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Hi, I did not receive confirmation of my registration. Last week they sent an email with the log in details around 3/4pm the day before, so hopefully we should be sent the link for tomorrow evening's webinar at some point this afternoon!
    It just came through thanks! Did you have your webcam on for yours? Curious as to how it works...

Larry HC

Jan 9, 2020
    It just came through thanks! Did you have your webcam on for yours? Curious as to how it works...

It depends, for their first one (on energy) was more of a meeting type room where everyone could show camera, the second one (on PE) was more like a webinar where you can type out questions but you can't show camera/speak etc...

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you. Sorry, just one more question. Which days by the end of Dec will TCLA consider 'non-working' by the end of the year (again trying to calculate when the lastest I can get apps for reviews)? Is it 24th, 25th, 28th, 31st? :oops:

No problem - any day between the 24th - 28th will be a non-working day as we're taking some time off for Christmas. We'll be open on the 31st, although we're closed on bank holidays (so the 1st January 2021).

If you're submitting an application anywhere around that time, I'd recommend a fast-track review so we can guarantee a return before the New Year. (Although a standard review will be returned on the 31st if that's not too late for you).

Reactions: nicole88

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone - I just wanted to promote this thread as its a great opportunity to recognise those within the TCLA community for their efforts in helping others.

Please nominate the members who you think really contribute to our discussions.

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....nate-members-for-a-£35-amazon-gift-card.2861/

At the end of what has been an incredibly tough year for us all, it would be nice to spread some festive cheer!

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    Hi all! It’s been a while since I was on here - I’m now midway through the second seat of my TC! I recently volunteered to facilitate a case study for a grad rec event my firm was running and speaking to the students on the event / talking them through the case study really reminded me of how I felt when I was an applicant, posting on TCLA, exactly in your shoes! Feels just like yesterday, time really flies.

I just wanted to come on to say that I know it is a bit late in the application season but if anyone is looking for any help or advice on interview prep, case studies, or applications I am more than happy to help. Also happy to chat through LPC tips, starting a TC / doing a vac scheme remotely (my whole TC has been spent WFH so far, and my housemates and I have all been involved with virtual vac schemes) or just anything really - law was already a difficult industry to break into under normal circumstances and I really sympathise with / admire you all for making it work in these weird times.

Wishing you all the very best of luck with your applications!

Abstruser

PS: I should also say that I don’t check this forum as much as I used to, so please inbox me if anything so that it comes to my email!

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all! It’s been a while since I was on here - I’m now midway through the second seat of my TC! I recently volunteered to facilitate a case study for a grad rec event my firm was running and speaking to the students on the event / talking them through the case study really reminded me of how I felt when I was an applicant, posting on TCLA, exactly in your shoes! Feels just like yesterday, time really flies.

I just wanted to come on to say that I know it is a bit late in the application season but if anyone is looking for any help or advice on interview prep, case studies, or applications I am more than happy to help. Also happy to chat through LPC tips, starting a TC / doing a vac scheme remotely (my whole TC has been spent WFH so far, and my housemates and I have all been involved with virtual vac schemes) or just anything really - law was already a difficult industry to break into under normal circumstances and I really sympathise with / admire you all for making it work in these weird times.

Wishing you all the very best of luck with your applications!

Abstruser

So nice to hear from you @Abstruser, we miss you in the forums! Thank you for offering to help :)

CF1234

Star Member
    Dec 15, 2020
    Hey everyone, hope you're all well.

I was wondering if anyone could help me?
    I'm a non-law student, and I've really struggled this application season. I haven't made it to the interview stage on loads of applications, even though I thought I was a strong candidate. Because I didn't make it to the interview stage, I'm unable to ask for feedback.
    I have done lots of self-reflection, but because I don't really have an idea of a 'good' application, It's hard to know what to improve!
    I have no friends/family/mentors who are lawyers, and therefore have nobody who can really give me feedback on applications.
    I want to join TCLA but money!

Does anyone think they'd be able to offer 10 minutes to look over one application? or give me some advice about what a good application looks like? I'd really really massively appreciate it.

Thank you in advance :)

NK

Distinguished Member
    Jul 28, 2020

I'm a non-law student, and I've really struggled this application season. I haven't made it to the interview stage on loads of applications, even though I thought I was a strong candidate. Because I didn't make it to the interview stage, I'm unable to ask for feedback.
    I have done lots of self-reflection, but because I don't really have an idea of a 'good' application, It's hard to know what to improve!
    I have no friends/family/mentors who are lawyers, and therefore have nobody who can really give me feedback on applications.

Does anyone think they'd be able to offer 10 minutes to look over one application? or give me some advice about what a good application looks like? I'd really really massively appreciate it.

Hey there! I’m also from a non-law background and would be more than happy to help / offer some advice. I haven’t got a vac scheme / TC offer yet in this cycle as I’m still waiting to hear back from some firms, but I’ve managed to progress to the next application stages (tests, interview stage). Hopefully I can offer you some advice for your applications though. Feel free to PM me :)

Nat000

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
  • Feb 14, 2020

Also a non-law student! Feel free to PM.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018

Hi there,

The first thing to note is we are offering scholarships!! Please do apply because the motivation behind the scheme is that we do not want people to be limited by their finances. Here is the link to the thread explaining everything: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/tclas-2021-scholarship-programme.2847/

The other thing to note here too is writing applications is an art form - it is a tricky skill to master and so I really don't want for you to feel too concerned at this stage for not necessarily getting through the application stage.

I will try my best to help but when you read the application - would you say it was so tailored to the firm that it cannot apply to any others? This is probably one of the biggest issues I see in applications. Asides that, another common issue is candidates not offering enough analysis or enough of a deep explanation into their motivations. The thing to ask yourself when reading the app here is, would it be possible for an outsider to read this and ask 'so what' or 'why'? If an objective reading means you are asking those questions - it is probable there just isn't enough depth and explanation.

Let me know if this helps at all and if not, I will try to help a bit further but I hope these are good starting points.

• 🤝
    Reactions: NK and Jessica Booker

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    @Jessica Booker Jess, when a questions asks "Please use the space below to provide details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations, virtual events etc.", should we list the events chronologically, or in order of relevance to the firm / ourselves? Does it even matter?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Jess, when a questions asks "Please use the space below to provide details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations, virtual events etc.", should we list the events chronologically, or in order of relevance to the firm / ourselves? Does it even matter?

I would do one or the other, or a hybrid of both. As long as there is some logic to the order, it doesn’t matter what that logic is, as long as there is some!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I’d put the firm you’re applying to at the top if applicable and then do the rest in order of chronology.

Last edited:

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    I’d put the firm you’re applying to at the top if applicable and then do the rest in order of chronology.
    That makes sense, but the only event I've been to with the firm I'm applying to was in their US office (since I was studying there at the time), and I'm applying to London. I was thinking of covering all of my US events together in one paragraph since (I'm assuming) they're a bit less relevant than my London events, but maybe that's not the best approach since the firm I'm applying to is in that category?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.