Grades

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hi - hoping people can advise. how can you tell how strict firms will be on a-level grades?? especially with degree and gdl under your belt.

Don’t want to spend time and effort on on app if it will be an automatic rejection without being read.

Fadin

Sep 8, 2018
I'd take what I say next with a pinch of salt only because I read this somewhere and I don't remember how reputable it is but:

If there are terms like 'exceptional academics' or 'high 2:1', they are generally looking for good A-level grades and a high 2:1/first. Obviously, it is not limited to this and other factors come into play.

Interestingly enough, I was at an event at Linklaters the other day and one of the trainee solicitors told me that the A-level requirements were AAA but I haven't seen anything on their website or other sites that mention these requirements.

Reactions: SameerS and Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
I'd take what I say next with a pinch of salt only because I read this somewhere and I don't remember how reputable it is but:

If there are terms like 'exceptional academics' or 'high 2:1', they are generally looking for good A-level grades and a high 2:1/first. Obviously, it is not limited to this and other factors come into play.

Interestingly enough, I was at an event at Linklaters the other day and one of the trainee solicitors told me that the A-level requirements were AAA but I haven't seen anything on their website or other sites that mention these requirements.

I agree, I know a future trainee @ Linklaters who achieved BBB at A-Level.

• ℹ️
Reactions: AzanAshai and Fadin

AzanAshai

TCLA Writer
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Mar 1, 2018
@AJ

Depends on the firm. From a management point of view, minimum academic entry requirements are an effective way for graduate recruitment teams to filter out some of the thousands of applications they receive. Despite this, there are firms like HSF, Linklaters, JD and many others that utilise mechanisms like Rare's Contextual Recruitment tool to assess A-level grades in comparison local attainment for applicants that fall short of the requirements.

Beyond that, unless you have extenuating or mitigating circumstances that can evidence why you haven't met the minimum requirements, firms are likely to reject you. However, there are some firms which adopt a much more holistic view on academic requirements in the larger context of you as an applicant. Firms like JD and Orrick notably mention that lacking grades in one area can be made up in another part of an application (in your case - good degree/GDL grades or impressive work experience).

Just make sure to do your research and recognise what different firms prioritise when assessing candidates. The 'Get Hired' tab on ChambersStudent is an excellent way to do this.

SameerS

Star Member
Jul 30, 2018
@AJ

Depends on the firm. From a management point of view, minimum academic entry requirements are an effective way for graduate recruitment teams to filter out some of the thousands of applications they receive. Despite this, there are firms like HSF, Linklaters, JD and many others that utilise mechanisms like Rare's Contextual Recruitment tool to assess A-level grades in comparison local attainment for applicants that fall short of the requirements.

Beyond that, unless you have extenuating or mitigating circumstances that can evidence why you haven't met the minimum requirements, firms are likely to reject you. However, there are some firms which adopt a much more holistic view on academic requirements in the larger context of you as an applicant. Firms like JD and Orrick notably mention that lacking grades in one area can be made up in another part of an application (in your case - good degree/GDL grades or impressive work experience).

Just make sure to do your research and recognise what different firms prioritise when assessing candidates. The 'Get Hired' tab on ChambersStudent is an excellent way to do this.

I totally agree.

If you apply to a place like MC/US firms, chances are they will reject you. However, if you are extremely dedicated

FreshFields runs on no a-level requirement and Herbet Smith Freehils also recently scrapped their a-level requirement.

So your best chances lie with those two, because your application will be judged upon your ability to convince them and not primarily on your grades.

I wish you well my friend. Go apply to their open days and if you get in, maybe you have a chance at FF and HSF.

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
I totally agree.

If you apply to a place like MC/US firms, chances are they will reject you. However, if you are extremely dedicated

FreshFields runs on no a-level requirement and Herbet Smith Freehils also recently scrapped their a-level requirement.

So your best chances lie with those two, because your application will be judged upon your ability to convince them and not primarily on your grades.

I wish you well my friend. Go apply to their open days and if you get in, maybe you have a chance at FF and HSF.

I agree with all that has been said above, however, there are firms who value extra-curricular activities a lot more than grades. Maybe, it’s best if you research those types of firms aswell?

• 🏆
Reactions: Jai C.

Jai C.

Esteemed Member
May 15, 2018
Its crazy man - I know some people that have had terrible A-level results but are at currently Clifford Chance and Freshfields.

But the amount of them is extremely low, and you have to think that those people were the best at their universities (non Russell group), so in essence, you have to ask yourself are you the best at your university and if not best, at the very least are you getting a First Class degree

You have to have a bait (like a FIRST CLASS DEGREE) for the MC/US/SC firms to hook onto, otherwise, they would look elsewhere.

Reactions: Fadin

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I have been thinking the same as my A-Levels were BBB, I have quite strong mitigating circumstances for this but am still concerned this will be a way of filtering applicants.

This previous chat on TCLA might help you https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/how-important-are-grades-for-law-firms.319/

If you have mitigating circumstances, firms will take this into account. You may want to consider emailing graduate recruitment first if you are concerned.

Might be worth reading @Hamza's story on this.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Its crazy man - I know some people that have had terrible A-level results but are at currently Clifford Chance and Freshfields.

But the amount of them is extremely low, and you have to think that those people were the best at their universities (non Russell group), so in essence, you have to ask yourself are you the best at your university and if not best, at the very least are you getting a First Class degree

You have to have a bait (like a FIRST CLASS DEGREE) for the MC/US/SC firms to hook onto, otherwise, they would look elsewhere.

I don't really agree with this. If you have a decent 2:1, you have a good chance at almost all MC/US/SC firms. The rest is down to you and your experiences. They'll take strong mitigating circumstances into account -- as whatever happened was out of your control.

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I don't really agree with this. If you have a decent 2:1, you have a good chance at almost all MC/US/SC firms. The rest is down to you and your experiences. They'll take strong mitigating circumstances into account -- as whatever happened was out of your control.

I agree with the above, if you have met the minimum academic requirements (2:1 etc), you are MORE than capable of getting into any MC/US/SC firm. It is really how you articulate your extra curricular activities, interest in the firm and so forth that will take you to the next stage of the application process.

Reactions: Demna87

Jai C.

Esteemed Member
    May 15, 2018
    Apologies to everyone.

What I meant was, if you dont have mitigation circumstances, and have terrible A-Levels, then getting a First will/may stand you a chance with these firms.

I was in no way saying that people with mitigation circumstances have no chance at MC/US without a First.

I do apologise if somebody reading my earlier post felt offended.

Reactions: Demna87

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Apologies to everyone.

What I meant was, if you dont have mitigation circumstances, and have terrible A-Levels, then getting a First will/may stand you a chance with these firms.

I was in no way saying that people with mitigation circumstances have no chance at MC/US without a First.

I do apologise if somebody reading my earlier post felt offended.
    I see whaf you mean - no harm caused :)

yanerlim

Valued Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I wouldn't be too worried about grades if you got a 2:1, the most important thing lies on your application and this was emphasised to me by many of the firm recruiters I have spoken to. They mentioned that they will look into mitigating circumstances if candidates fail to achieve a 2:1, but if they achieved a 2:1, the most important thing is to submit a well-made application. So for instance, someone may graduate with a first class but submitted a superficial and poorly made application, they will much rather go for someone who graduated with a 2:1 but amazing application. I think work experiences are very important as well, as it shows you are dedicated to build a legal career and have a solid reason as to why you want to do this.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @Jaysen would that be as well as filling in the mitigating circumstances section on the application? Thanks

Sorry, I wrote incorrectly there -- I should have said before deciding to apply. If you do it before you submit, they will just tell you to fill out the mitigating circumstances section.

Chances are it won't make a difference, but it might give you some peace of mind if you ask them before applying and they tell you to still apply. They may also advise you if there's anything else you need to do re: your mitigating circumstances.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.