Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catherine

Distinguished Member
Nov 28, 2018
So I actually phoned them today to check on the status of my app and asked them this question. They basically said they will be running ACs all the way up until the end of Feb (so it wasn't a typo in their email) and give some places as they go along, but also do try and wait until all of the ACs have been completed to give everyone a fair shot. I'd say that if your AC dates are just a few days apart, I think you're safe to take the later one if you want to maximise your prep time - I don't think they will have made a conclusive decision on those they want to offer vac schemes to from just a few days before.

Thank you very much Anaya that's really helpful!

Maddie R

Esteemed Member
Jan 10, 2019
Macfarlanes PFO :( Starting to feel super discouraged with applications and now with university too! Don't have much hope for the remaining firms I'm waiting on but I've been looking at just becoming an au pair for a year or something, honestly not sure if there's even any point attempting to apply next cycle. I know that it's all about handle rejection and persevere but I'm not known for being good at dealing with rejection ah:oops:

Sorry for the depressing post, just feeling super down about it all!!

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Macfarlanes PFO :( Starting to feel super discouraged with applications and now with university too! Don't have much hope for the remaining firms I'm waiting on but I've been looking at just becoming an au pair for a year or something, honestly not sure if there's even any point attempting to apply next cycle. I know that it's all about handle rejection and persevere but I'm not known for being good at dealing with rejection ah:oops:

Madison I am so sorry you are feeling low. Believe me you are seriously not alone. Many people take at least two cycles to land something, if not more and it is a brutally competitive business. Handling rejection is so so tough and I have had my fair share, so can really understand your pain. I am still applying and sometimes I want to give up but deep inside me I know I want to be a commercial solicitor and I know I can do it. Take some time to reflect before making any decisions as coming back with fresh eyes and a new perspective often helps. Believe in your ability and I am sure you will succeed. Remember, we all understand.

Phoebe

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 25, 2018
Hi! I just received this reply from Bird & Bird after doing a VI for a TC over a month ago:

Thank you for applying to Bird & Bird. Although you successfully completed the Video Interview, we have been reviewing applications on a rolling basis since October and all our places on our 2019 Assessment Days have now been filled. Therefore, unfortunately we will not be able to progress your application any further.

As you can imagine competition has been very high and we encourage you to apply earlier in the process for our next intake of Vacation Scheme or Training Contract when applications open on our website in August 2019. Please indicate on your application form that you progressed to the Video Interview stage.

So does this actually mean if there had been spaces I would have gotten an AC invite? Or is this just a nicely worded rejection?

I applied a month before the deadline but obviously I'll aim to apply even earlier next time - I guess that's why they're opening apps in August this year instead of October.

I'm frustrated because they are my favourite firm and I've waited over a month to find out the outcome but if I did actually pass the VI I'd feel much better about it.

Roland

Distinguished Member
Jan 10, 2019
Hello, has anyone completed the Simmons & Simmons Summer Interview? If yes, please could you offer advice for the video interview / types of questions that come up?

Hi Haylaw, I sat their Video interview in November last year for their Winter VS. There were about 5 questions based on the values they look for - look at their website http://graduates.simmons-simmons.com/en/why-us
They basically had one question based on each of their value - Ambition, Responsibility, Challenge, Commitment, Collegiality and I think the questions are drawn randomly from a question bank. They were a mix of competency based questions and 'why do you think this is important as a lawyer?'. Just make sure you are answering the question they are asking - don't use the STAR approach when they are simply asking why you think teamwork is important as lawyer, for example. Be sure to cover all the sub-questions in each question as I remember one of the questions were divided into 2-3 shorter questions. There was also one question about a business that you admire/ a business story that interests you so it's testing your commercial awareness in general. Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Reactions: haylaw and Jaysen

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi! I just received this reply from Bird & Bird after doing a VI for a TC over a month ago:

Thank you for applying to Bird & Bird. Although you successfully completed the Video Interview, we have been reviewing applications on a rolling basis since October and all our places on our 2019 Assessment Days have now been filled. Therefore, unfortunately we will not be able to progress your application any further.

As you can imagine competition has been very high and we encourage you to apply earlier in the process for our next intake of Vacation Scheme or Training Contract when applications open on our website in August 2019. Please indicate on your application form that you progressed to the Video Interview stage.

So does this actually mean if there had been spaces I would have gotten an AC invite? Or is this just a nicely worded rejection?

I applied a month before the deadline but obviously I'll aim to apply even earlier next time - I guess that's why they're opening apps in August this year instead of October.

I'm frustrated because they are my favourite firm and I've waited over a month to find out the outcome but if I did actually pass the VI I'd feel much better about it.
    Hey Phoebe,

I'd imagine that had you applied earlier yeah you would have got through to an AC judging by the tone of that email. The fact they want you to put down that you got through to the Video Interview stage seems to indicate that in my eyes!

Sorry to hear but best of luck with your other apps :)

Reactions: Kim LD

Phoebe

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 25, 2018
    Hey Phoebe,

I'd imagine that had you applied earlier yeah you would have got through to an AC judging by the tone of that email. The fact they want you to put down that you got through to the Video Interview stage seems to indicate that in my eyes!

Sorry to hear but best of luck with your other apps :)

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for your response! Yeah it does seem like that - oh well at least it's slightly more encouraging than a standard rejection. At least I know for next time!

Thank you, good luck with yours too :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Catherine

Distinguished Member
    Nov 28, 2018

Ah I'm sorry to hear that! Very frustrating, especially since you did apply well before the deadline. I think it sounds like you did pass the VI, but possibly if it took them a while to send you the invite to VI maybe you were in their 'maybe' pile?

I am sure firms must outright reject some applications, save some for maybes depending on future applicants and then the really amazing ones they pass through to the next stage quickly. It would explain why with some firms you can apply well before the deadline and then not hear anything for so long.

Catherine

Distinguished Member
    Nov 28, 2018

Madison, it is such a brutal process and it feels even worse when you have actually put the time into an application and feel proud of it - just feels like a complete waste. But if you still have ones you haven't heard from yet don't give up hope! Also even if you aren't successful in this cycle, there are still a lot of summer deadlines for TCs!

Just try and push the rejections from your mind and focus on the next! I received a couple rejections in the last few days after interview but am trying to remain focused now on my next ones. Good luck!

• 🤝
    Reactions: ACMW and Maddie R

Maddie R

Esteemed Member
    Jan 10, 2019
    Madison I am so sorry you are feeling low. Believe me you are seriously not alone. Many people take at least two cycles to land something, if not more and it is a brutally competitive business. Handling rejection is so so tough and I have had my fair share, so can really understand your pain. I am still applying and sometimes I want to give up but deep inside me I know I want to be a commercial solicitor and I know I can do it. Take some time to reflect before making any decisions as coming back with fresh eyes and a new perspective often helps. Believe in your ability and I am sure you will succeed. Remember, we all understand.

Thank you, it's really hard to keep positive through it all. I'm really glad to have found this forum because I know everyone here understands the struggles! I just have to keep working hard at it and hopefully my time will come!! Best of luck with your applications Helena!! :)

Reactions: ACMW

Maddie R

Esteemed Member
    Jan 10, 2019
    Madison, it is such a brutal process and it feels even worse when you have actually put the time into an application and feel proud of it - just feels like a complete waste. But if you still have ones you haven't heard from yet don't give up hope! Also even if you aren't successful in this cycle, there are still a lot of summer deadlines for TCs!

Just try and push the rejections from your mind and focus on the next! I received a couple rejections in the last few days after interview but am trying to remain focused now on my next ones. Good luck!

Thank you - I hope that we both hear some good news soon!!!

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Thank you, it's really hard to keep positive through it all. I'm really glad to have found this forum because I know everyone here understands the struggles! I just have to keep working hard at it and hopefully my time will come!! Best of luck with your applications Helena!! :)
    I seriously understand - just had a post AC rejection now. So I get it completely.

• 🤝
    Reactions: datguyak and Daniel Boden

PMF_II

Star Member
    Mar 1, 2018
    For those who are still waiting to hear from Ashurst, I've just received a telephone interview invite. I'm applying for a direct TC and submitted my application on 20 December 2018.

Ashurst rejected me at application stage last summer. My CV this cycle remains almost the same. What has improved is my cover letter and answer to their application question, all thanks to @Jaysen's excellent application review.

So I completely agree with the comments above that rejections can be difficult to handle, but don't be disheartened. After all, there's nothing you can do to change their decision. Instead, focus on how you can improve to maximise your chance of success when the next opportunity comes.

• 🏆
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: STWO, Maddie R, aditik and 8 others

Naomi

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 14, 2018
    So sorry to hear that... Can I ask when you applied?
    I applied 2 hours before the deadline and still haven't heard from them either for VI or rejection...

3rd January.

I received an email from SEO yesterday enquiring as to the status of my application, as Kirkland is one of their sponsor firms, so I have a feeling SEO may have chased them up about it hence today's rejection email.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.