Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dani Whittingham

Sep 12, 2018
After spending a lot of time applying and being rejected from Linklaters, Allen & Overy, BCLP, Jones Day and Cleary Gottlieb; I caught a lucky break. I applied to Hogan Lovells, got invited to take the Watson Glaser test on the next day, got invited to an AC shortly after and in a matter of 12 days after my initial application, I was offered a place on their vacation scheme!

I am not a very active poster on this website but I have been reading every single post for as long as the forum has existed and I wanted to share the good news here because this website has really helped me a lot and allowed me to considerably improve my application technique! This website is also great for motivation, and reading positive posts from many other applications helped me realize that it only takes one firm to land a vac scheme — so, if you're still waiting for positive news, keep applying and have faith, someone is going to say yes eventually! I've taken a few days to celebrate the good news and I can now focus on the next step: securing a TC!

Hi Maccie!

Congrats on Hogan Lovells! I just wanted to ask a quick question: I looked through the application questions and none of them were technical commercial questions, more of questions based off personal experiences. So did you link any of your answers back to Hogan Lovells? Thanks!

Maccie

Future Trainee
Sep 22, 2018
Hi Maccie!

Congrats on Hogan Lovells! I just wanted to ask a quick question: I looked through the application questions and none of them were technical commercial questions, more of questions based off personal experiences. So did you link any of your answers back to Hogan Lovells? Thanks!

The first three questions are purely competency based and, while I did not link them back to Hogan Lovells, I made sure to use the STAR technique — I hate STAR but I must admit it works and you cannot do without it. However, the last question which asks you what makes you stand out from the crowd is probably the most important one — I wrote three paragraphs, with three key elements that allow me to stand out from the crowd and for each point, I briefly explained what made me stand out from the crowd and then explained in detail why it is particularly relevant to Hogan Lovells. For example, one of the points I made was that I had a strong entrepreneurial spirit, demonstrated by my interest in technological innovation and coding. I then explained it was important in the legal industry, and why it was important; and I finally explained this was particularly relevant to Hogan Lovells because of their innovative approach to servicing clients (which allowed me to mention the firm's HL Engage initiative or its FinTech Mentor Programme that I had read a lot about). I think this question is an amazing gift because you're basically asked to sell yourself and you can showcase your research in a more subtle way!

Sandrou

Esteemed Member
Feb 28, 2018
If you’re waiting for a reply for Linklaters Winter scheme, I’ve been made aware that places are now full.

They will however offer to interview you for a Spring scheme if they liked your application.

But everyone should hear from the firm this week if you’ve not already.

• 🏆
Reactions: Salma and yanerlim

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    For those waiting to hear from HSF post AC, by way of a timeframe. My partner interviewed today at HSF and was offered a place on the winter scheme a few hours later.

Well done to your partner. It's likely they performed very well -- I've seen a few firms give same day responses to candidates they really like.

Reactions: Salma

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Thank you! Isn't it amazing you can get so far with one firm and then wallop you're out and yet with another you can go all the way. And you use the same scrupulous criteria in each of your applications. Go figure?
    Haha completely agree but I guess some firms place emphasis on different things e.g. some require really good academics, others are more interested in a more rounded individual with good ECs and work experience etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.