Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Wu

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2018
Thanks!

I am just suprised they don’t have a seperate question relating to why law, what’s your take on it?

I definitely agree with you there!

I think they do still want us to include why law, but to link/combine our motivations for applying to law to our reasons for applying to Skadden, making it seem as if joining Skadden explicitly aligns with why we want to become commercial lawyers and what we want out of our careers. With only 300 words to play with, being concise is clearly a big thing here in the cover letter.

I might be looking too deeply into this and I might be completely wrong! However, I feel this allows us to include why law without straying away from the cover letter stimulus, especially as they explicitly state on their website that one of the things they’re looking for is ‘a keen interest in corporate law and/or litigation and international arbitration’.

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
I definitely agree with you there!

I think they do still want us to include why law, but to link/combine our motivations for applying to law to our reasons for applying to Skadden, making it seem as if joining Skadden explicitly aligns with why we want to become commercial lawyers and what we want out of our careers. With only 300 words to play with, being concise is clearly a big thing here in the cover letter.

I might be looking too deeply into this and I might be completely wrong! However, I feel this allows us to include why law without straying away from the cover letter stimulus, especially as they explicitly state on their website that one of the things they’re looking for is ‘a keen interest in corporate law and/or litigation and international arbitration’.

Thanks John! I was going to do the same, slightly reassuring that others are also looking into the same structure.

Reactions: J Wu

Naomi

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2018
Thanks John! I was going to do the same, slightly reassuring that others are also looking into the same structure.

Hello. I’m also applying to Skadden and this was my approach. I tend to structure my cover letters: why law, why x firm, why me. Doing it in 300 words is tough but doable

Reactions: Salma

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
God, hopefully they'll put you out of your misery soon! (Meant in the nicest way possible haha)
I wholeheartedly agree, don't worry! Especially because I only have space in my working life for one summer vac scheme so it would be helpful to know and move on accordingly.

Bet it's hard not checking your phone/email every few seconds.
Very hard :( every email notification I miss a heartbeat, only to find out it's just a CITY AM newsletter

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I wholeheartedly agree, don't worry! Especially because I only have space in my working life for one summer vac scheme so it would be helpful to know and move on accordingly.

Very hard :( every email notification I miss a heartbeat, only to find out it's just a CITY AM newsletter
    How do you find out? Is it a phone call or an email? Fingers are crossed for you!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Fair enough. I've had a call before to let me know about a rejection but that firm did explicitly say whatever the outcome, it would be a phone call

Nice of them to call for a rejection and a good way to get feedback. It also depends on the intake size for the firm. If it's only a few vacation schemers, they are more likely to call.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.