Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZ_D

• Nov 27, 2018
    I have been unsuccessful for a Summer Vac Scheme interview and received the following feedback--the firm is assessing a few competencies but my answers did not match what they were looking for. During the interview, I was only asked two competency questions whereas others had more than two questions, explicitly asking them to explain some other competencies. Is it worth sending a follow-up email to the GR team for further feedback on this issue? Any help is much appreciated :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I have been unsuccessful for a Summer Vac Scheme interview and received the following feedback--the firm is assessing a few competencies but my answers did not match what they were looking for. During the interview, I was only asked two competency questions whereas others had more than two questions, explicitly asking them to explain some other competencies. Is it worth sending a follow-up email to the GR team for further feedback on this issue? Any help is much appreciated :)
    Firstly bad luck :(. Second, I'd definitely email graduate recruitment to ask for further feedback to clarify what they mean because, as you say, it is difficult to detail a large number of competencies in only two questions.

• 🤝
    Reactions: EZ_D and Helena

EZ_D

• Nov 27, 2018
    Firstly bad luck :(. Second, I'd definitely email graduate recruitment to ask for further feedback to clarify what they mean because, as you say, it is difficult to detail a large number of competencies in only two questions.
    Thank you so much for your reply! They also told me that my ans to 'why the firm' showed a lack of understanding towards the firm. I practiced this question with different people including my university's career consultant. Guess I didnt build sufficient rapport with the interviewer cause the GR team didnt conduct the interview themselves :(

MA96

Future Trainee
    Jan 14, 2019
    Hi all!

I have an AC coming up for a VS and I completed a Winter Vac but was unsuccessful in securing a training contract. How do you think I should approach this if I'm asked why I wasn't able to convert the VS into a TC?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all!

I have an AC coming up for a VS and I completed a Winter Vac but was unsuccessful in securing a training contract. How do you think I should approach this if I'm asked why I wasn't able to convert the VS into a TC?

Try to give an honest reflection of what you feel you could have improved on. e.g. Was there a particular assessment that could have gone better? Maybe you didn't convince the firm of your motivation in the final interview?

Reactions: MA96

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Try to give an honest reflection of what you feel you could have improved on. e.g. Was there a particular assessment that could have gone better? Maybe you didn't convince the firm of your motivation in the final interview?
    On that last point Jaysen I feel that is often the deciding factor isn't it? Motivation. And it is so hard to convince the firm sometimes. You can do all your research and answer confidently why that firm but they don't think you have it. What advice can you give on this please?

Last edited:

m24

Star Member
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi all!

I would be very surprised if they ask you that, as it's pretty irrelevant to your application. For all they know you could have declined your TC offer.

Catherine

Distinguished Member
    Nov 28, 2018
    Jones Day rejection - ugh. Post interview and no feedback available as too many interviewed - 20% of the 1800 applicants. Glum

I'm sorry to hear that :( That's rubbish that they aren't even giving feedback! Maybe they should have a longer application form if they are finding it to hard to narrow down candidates before interview!

Can I ask when you received your invite to interview? I originally applied for the winter scheme but was offered interview for summer scheme in December, and my interview isn't until early Feb! Concerned that I might be on the backfoot if they have lots of candidates interviewing earlier.

Were the questions mainly competency based or did it involve more of a debate on topical/commercial issues?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    I'm sorry to hear that :( That's rubbish that they aren't even giving feedback! Maybe they should have a longer application form if they are finding it to hard to narrow down candidates before interview!

Can I ask when you received your invite to interview? I originally applied for the winter scheme but was offered interview for summer scheme in December, and my interview isn't until early Feb! Concerned that I might be on the backfoot if they have lots of candidates interviewing earlier.

Were the questions mainly competency based or did it involve more of a debate on topical/commercial issues?

Any help would be very much appreciated!
    Hi yes I applied for winter like you and was put on the spring list. Invite came in December. I think your chances are the same as they will take the same percentage of applicants for each scheme. To address the interview - yes competency really but so closely related to your CV and application. I posted this after the interview:https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/jones-day-interview.1094/
    Hope it helps and good luck.

Catherine

Distinguished Member
    Nov 28, 2018
    Hi yes I applied for winter like you and was put on the spring list. Invite came in December. I think your chances are the same as they will take the same percentage of applicants for each scheme. To address the interview - yes competency really but so closely related to your CV and application. I posted this after the interview:https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/jones-day-interview.1094/
    Hope it helps and good luck.

Thank you, this is helpful! Good luck with your next ones

Reactions: Helena

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    On that last point Jaysen I feel that is often the deciding factor isn't it? Motivation. And it is so hard to convince the firm sometimes. You can do all your research and answer confidently why that firm but they don't think you have it. What advice can you give on this please?

Motivation is definitely one of the most important factors. Firms know how tough it is for trainees, that you're going to be working long hours under a lot of pressure. They need someone who will thrive in that environment and work well with the rest of the team. It's why they want someone who has a genuine interest in commercial law and a genuine interest in their firm. It's an expensive investment on their part and they need to believe you're right for them.

This is why research and knowledge can only go so far. If you've met the firm before, this will go down well because you show you've made the effort to meet the firm. It's also a lot about the way you come across in an interview. Recruiters are pretty adept at picking out which candidates have a genuine interest, compared to the candidates who recycle deals they've read or tier one rankings from Legal 500. When you're answering "Why our firm?", try to go beyond a rehearsed, surface-level answer. Really think about why you find their training contract structure or their international reach interesting and why you'd choose them over any other firm. These things can be tricky to find, but again, you can get better with practice.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.