Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Received an invitation this morning to the Taylor Wessing assessment centre next Tuesday; my first assessment centre ever! If anyone has previously done an AC at Taylor Wessing, it would be great to hear about your experience :)

Well done David. I reached out to a Taylor Wessing future trainee and she's happy to write up some advice tonight. She also asked if you had any specific questions? Let me know and I'll pass it on!

Chester27

Standard Member
    Sep 17, 2018
    Hey guys, post a telephone interview with Ashursts, I've been invited to an assessment centre. Does anyone have any experience with the firm? Any advice would be much appreciated! (PS from previous assessment centres I know I need to work on the case study/written exercise part of the day so any tips regarding this would be amazing). Thanks.

Raphael Yan Bing Khoo

Future Trainee
    Sep 17, 2018
    After several rejections post-interviews at other MC firms, I finally received a TC offer from CC!

The application process is both mentally and emotionally draining. Don't get disheartened when you receive a rejection; use it as a way to improve and further develop yourself. Take in the feedback and change your interview strategy based on what they say. For instance, a feedback I received after a rejection was that my answers for some motivational-esque questions (why law, why commercial law, why the firm) were too formulaic and rehearsed. After talking to several seniors, I decided to change my entire approach and give an interesting example and/or story for each question asked. I tried cracking a few jokes in the interview to make the interviewers laugh; it helps with the rapport-building too. And it worked! It makes you more personable and likeable. Interviewers (especially partners) are looking for someone who can fit into their firm culture rather than someone who knows all the answers.

For instance, at the CC Competency interview, I spent the first 10mins talking about the interviewer's area of practice and asked her to explain it to me in a simple way. I tried giving interesting examples when she asked the competency questions: proudest achievement (climbing a mountain), teamwork (playing in a guitar ensemble), resilience (getting lost in the jungle and finding my way out). We ended up having a very pleasant conversation!

To be a good interviewee, it's always nice to remember the name of the person who interviewed you and send them an e-mail to thank them for their time. It won't help your application necessarily but it's one way to build a connection with them should you eventually get the scheme!

Good luck to everyone on this forum!! you just need one

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    After several rejections post-interviews at other MC firms, I finally received a TC offer from CC!

The application process is both mentally and emotionally draining. Don't get disheartened when you receive a rejection; use it as a way to improve and further develop yourself. Take in the feedback and change your interview strategy based on what they say. For instance, a feedback I received after a rejection was that my answers for some motivational-esque questions (why law, why commercial law, why the firm) were too formulaic and rehearsed. After talking to several seniors, I decided to change my entire approach and give an interesting example and/or story for each question asked. I tried cracking a few jokes in the interview to make the interviewers laugh; it helps with the rapport-building too. And it worked! It makes you more personable and likeable. Interviewers (especially partners) are looking for someone who can fit into their firm culture rather than someone who knows all the answers.

For instance, at the CC Competency interview, I spent the first 10mins talking about the interviewer's area of practice and asked her to explain it to me in a simple way. I tried giving interesting examples when she asked the competency questions: proudest achievement (climbing a mountain), teamwork (playing in a guitar ensemble), resilience (getting lost in the jungle and finding my way out). We ended up having a very pleasant conversation!

To be a good interviewee, it's always nice to remember the name of the person who interviewed you and send them an e-mail to thank them for their time. It won't help your application necessarily but it's one way to build a connection with them should you eventually get the scheme!

I love this post so much and really well done to you. I absolutely agree about a sense of humour!! Thank you for your kind and motivational advice and really wishing you the very best at CC, an incredible achievement!

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Salma

Selina

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2018
    After three missed calls from grad recruitment, pleased to say I have a Mayer Brown vacation scheme offer :):)

Well done Naomi! It's inspiring to have witnessed you go through the whole process to see that you've pulled it off! Hope you have a great time on the Vac Scheme :)

I completed the MB online tests this morning so hopefully it'll be positive news after I hear back from them!

Reactions: Naomi and Salma

Selina

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2018

Many congrats Raphael! This is such a great post and I completely agree with all your advice. I think showing the human side of yourself is so important and I'll definitely take your tips into any interviews I may have in the future.

Best of luck with your future at CC - not that you'll need it! Hope you've found a sufficient way to celebrate this milestone. :)

Reactions: Helena and Salma
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.