Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoebe-Lou

Feb 8, 2019
Hey, I am new here and not entirely sure where to post this. I am a first year so am applying for 'spring scheme's' and having been rejected for Clifford Chance's first-year programme I applied for Weil's and HSF's. However, I have not heard anything from Weil after completing the application (no online assessment) and it has been several weeks and it closed on Jan 31 - should I be worried about this? Or does Weil generally take a while to respond?
My other question is do HSF normally tell you immediately after you have completed the online assessment whether you passed? And more generally if I was to get through to the next stage does anyone know what it would be?

Also more unrelated, how important is the university you went to? I chose to do my degree in Europe due to financial reasons - will that affect how firms look at me?

Sorry for the multitude of questions!

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
I got the Latham AC!! If anyone has any advice I’d be so so grateful!!

Well done Alice! I completed the AC last year, my general tips and guidance:

1. Written exercise

Typical M&A case study, be concise, to the point and watch the time. I would brush up on typical issues in an M&A deal for instance, litigation, balance sheets, competition, diversifying products in other jurisdictions (any commercial stories which will affect this for instance Iran Sanctions/Trump Tariffs), currency changes etc and think about the solutions you would offer. Always leave 5 mins to read through your work as attention to deal is highly valued, especially grammar and spelling. I would also advise to bring a highlighter and sticky notes so once you have skimmed all the documents initially, you can easily find certain documents within the case study to back up/disprove your point.

2. Presentation

Last year, GR emailed us the presentation question one week in advance.. whatever the chosen question is this year.. I would research the topic properly inside and out and try and link every point to Latham for instance what range of work it will generate for the firm (more project finance work?). Also prepare to be asked a lot of questions from your application form whether that would be why you have chosen x subject for A-Levels (so print out your application and try to familiarise yourself with what you wrote).

3. Face to face

Typical questions such as why law, why Latham, and how the firm differentiate themselves from their competitors (this is KEY!, they really test your ability on how they differ from other US firms such as Kirkland), a range of competencies and situational questions. It is also a very personal interview in that the interviewers will ask you questions that stand out from your application such as your linguistic abilities, your extra curriculars, your favourite music artist, interests or hobbies.. Also, do not be alarmed with random questions such as how many dentists are there in the UK? or how many Sainsbury stores are there in the UK? (I got asked this haha), just take the interviewers through your thought process and how you came to your answer.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions and Good Luck :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaysen and Alice G

Selina

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Can’t believe I actually get to write one of these posts because I didn’t think I ever would but I’ve just been offered a vac scheme from Cleary!!! I’m just?? Astonished?? But obviously over the moon. :D

Thanks so much to all you guys for all your various pieces of advice - this forum has genuinely helped me in so many ways. I have a lot to be grateful for!

If anyone has done a vac scheme at Cleary and/or has any tips for how to convert a VS into a TC, that would be much, much appreciated! :)

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Can’t believe I actually get to write one of these posts because I didn’t think I ever would but I’ve just been offered a vac scheme from Cleary!!! I’m just?? Astonished?? But obviously over the moon. :D

If anyone has done a vac scheme there and/or has any tips for how to convert a VS into a TC, that would be much, much appreciated! :)

AHH massive congrats Selina!!! I hope you enjoy your vac scheme with the firm :)

• 🤝
Reactions: Selina

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Well done Alice! I completed the AC last year, my general tips and guidance:

1. Written exercise

Typical M&A case study, be concise, to the point and watch the time. I would brush up on typical issues in an M&A deal for instance, litigation, balance sheets, competition, diversifying products in other jurisdictions (any commercial stories which will affect this for instance Iran Sanctions/Trump Tariffs), currency changes etc and think about the solutions you would offer. Always leave 5 mins to read through your work as attention to deal is highly valued, especially grammar and spelling. I would also advise to bring a highlighter and sticky notes so once you have skimmed all the documents initially, you can easily find certain documents within the case study to back up/disprove your point.

2. Presentation

Last year, GR emailed us the presentation question one week in advance.. whatever the chosen question is this year.. I would research the topic properly inside and out and try and link every point to Latham for instance what range of work it will generate for the firm (more project finance work?). Also prepare to be asked a lot of questions from your application form whether that would be why you have chosen x subject for A-Levels (so print out your application and try to familiarise yourself with what you wrote).

3. Face to face

Typical questions such as why law, why Latham, and how the firm differentiate themselves from their competitors (this is KEY!, they really test your ability on how they differ from other US firms such as Kirkland), a range of competencies and situational questions. It is also a very personal interview in that the interviewers will ask you questions that stand out from your application such as your linguistic abilities, your extra curriculars, your favourite music artist, interests or hobbies.. Also, do not be alarmed with random questions such as how many dentists are there in the UK? or how many Sainsbury stores are there in the UK? (I got asked this haha), just take the interviewers through your thought process and how you came to your answer.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions and Good Luck :)
You are fantastic thank you so so much!!! :)

Reactions: Salma

EC1993

Sep 8, 2018
Hello Everyone! I’m new to the site I have a telephone interview with Mayer Brown next week and I’d be grateful for any tips on how best to prepare? Or, if anyone has been interviewed by them before, what the interview was like? Thank you very much

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I got the Latham AC!! If anyone has any advice I’d be so so grateful!!

Thanks so much to all you guys for all your various pieces of advice - this forum has genuinely helped me in so many ways. I have a lot to be grateful for!

If anyone has done a vac scheme at Cleary and/or has any tips for how to convert a VS into a TC, that would be much, much appreciated! :)

That's really great to hear guys, well done! Just got to keep grinding away and the good news will hit you.

I think I have information on both of these counts (I think everything for Latham is now posted but will double check), I'll send you a PM if there is.

Reactions: Alice G and Selina

Selina

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2018
    That's really great to hear guys, well done! Just got to keep grinding away and the good news will hit you.

I think I have information on both of these counts (I think everything for Latham is now posted but will double check), I'll send you a PM if there is.

That would be super helpful – thanks Jaysen!

Naomi

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 14, 2018

Congratulations!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Selina
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.