Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwood

Distinguished Member
Jan 19, 2019
Hey everyone,

I'm very overjoyed to share that I have finally accepted a training contract with the literal firm of my dreams, after over two years of applying for vacation schemes and training contracts. Funnily enough, the firm I will be joining had previously rejected me at the application stage just last year!

For everyone still chasing that elusive training contract, I just wanted to share a small reminder to never let anyone discourage you from pursuing your dreams. I come from a fairly unconventional academic background, having completed only two years of my law degree in the UK instead of the full three. I have never been able to secure a vacation scheme, and most of my work experience was obtained in local law firms back in my home country. I cannot count the number of times I was discouraged by career advisers, GR at law fairs, and even a partner at an open day, who all told me that I would be extremely unlikely to succeed on direct training contract applications because I had not completed a vacation scheme, or because I didn’t have any UK work experience.

For a while, I let the naysayers get to me. Any ACs I did manage to land, I attributed to pure luck, and performed extremely poorly in interviews as a result. However, I was lucky to have an amazing support group who helped me regather my confidence, and this cycle, I had the unbelievable fortune of securing not one but three training contract offers as the result of direct training contract applications.

Believe that you can and you are more than halfway there. Know your worth, and give yourself credit for getting as far as you have. I remember being in absolute despair over countless rejections, failed tests and interviews, and feeling like I could never make it, or that I wasn’t good enough. Take the time to reflect on how far you have come since you first started, and remember that even though you may not be the best, you will be set apart by your determination to be better.

Wishing all of you the very best of luck for your applications, and thank you to every member of this wonderful TCLA community for your support and comradeship! Looking forward to hearing of all of your successes this year!

This is so inspiring!! Congratulations :)!!!!!

wwood

Distinguished Member
Jan 19, 2019
Hey guys,

I have a question but I don't know where to post it. I'm working on my Clydes app. I saw that the firm has some associations with other firms (e.g. in Mongolia, New Zealand, Indonesia). What's the strategy/pros/cons of having associations with local firms instead of setting up an office? Thanks in advance :)

MA96

Future Trainee
Jan 14, 2019
Hey guys,

I have a question but I don't know where to post it. I'm working on my Clydes app. I saw that the firm has some associations with other firms (e.g. in Mongolia, New Zealand, Indonesia). What's the strategy/pros/cons of having associations with local firms instead of setting up an office? Thanks in advance :)

I think the main strategy behind it is that you're able to combine the international firm's great service that clients are clearly drawn to with well rounded knowledge from those that have been on the ground for extended periods of time. For example, lots of African countries often have their own customary laws, the nuances of which can only really be understood by people and companies that have grown in the region, so partnering with a local firm with that knowledge offers international firms the best of both :)

Reactions: Jaysen and wwood

wwood

Distinguished Member
Jan 19, 2019
I think the main strategy behind it is that you're able to combine the international firm's great service that clients are clearly drawn to with well rounded knowledge from those that have been on the ground for extended periods of time. For example, lots of African countries often have their own customary laws, the nuances of which can only really be understood by people and companies that have grown in the region, so partnering with a local firm with that knowledge offers international firms the best of both :)

Thank you for your reply :)

Reactions: MA96

Qy_

Premium Member
Sep 12, 2018
Hey guys, I've got a silly question and I wonder if anyone can help me out with the answer.

Recently, Linklaters became the first magic circle firm to secure "Chinese law capability". What exactly does this mean? Is it just a regulatory thing?

Many thanks in advance for any help :)
the general idea is, in the China market, only Chinese law firms are able to advise on certain matters due to regulations. But Linklaters, by forming an alliance with ZhaoSheng (a Chinese law firms), has therefore bypassed that limitation and secured a so-called Chinese law capability.

Reactions: Jaysen
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.