Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samar

Valued Member
Future Trainee
Sep 28, 2019
Hi Samar, that's really weird, my portal still says under review but I haven't heard anything from them at all? Do you think it would be worth me emailing them?

Hi! I always think they do these kinds of things in batches so if you applied close to the deadline, I would be more inclined to give it a further day or two and then get in contact? Just for reference, I applied a few days before the deadline but then I had issues with my online testing so I didn't get to complete it till 1st Jan which was pretty late!

EJ

Star Member
Dec 27, 2019
Hi! I always think they do these kinds of things in batches so if you applied close to the deadline, I would be more inclined to give it a further day or two and then get in contact? Just for reference, I applied a few days before the deadline but then I had issues with my online testing so I didn't get to complete it till 1st Jan which was pretty late!
Hi Samar, I was the same! I had to contact grad recruitment about issues with the test and that was the only way I found out about the duplicate applications! You're probably right, hopefully I've just been missed off of the recipient list and will hear something soon :) fingers crossed for you!

JoNo

Legendary Member
Jan 28, 2019
Does anyone know if NRF have started to issue out more ACs for the spring scheme? I heard ACs took place in December!

I’m aware two people have received VS offers for their spring scheme..

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Anyone got any tips for the Macfarlanes application? Also, if you've mentioned a lot about your non-academic interests & previous work experiences in the questions already, would it be smarter in your cover letter to focus on your interest in commercial law & Macfarlanes? Or shall I repeat myself? Thanks so much in advance :)

JoNo

Legendary Member
Jan 28, 2019
Anyone got any tips for the Macfarlanes application? Also, if you've mentioned a lot about your non-academic interests & previous work experiences in the questions already, would it be smarter in your cover letter to focus on your interest in commercial law & Macfarlanes? Or shall I repeat myself? Thanks so much in advance :)

I would suggest for the cover letter talk about your interest in commercial law more, and tie why being a commercial lawyer at Macfarlanes are ideal for your career ambitions. Their ‘friendship network’ and having one office only is something you could consider. There’s no need to repeat stuff makes the application lack quality! As there’s a question on extra-curricular/positions of responsibility and their word count is quite a lot

LeighRobinson94

Jan 21, 2020
First post on here :)

So i've just received an invite for a VI interview with Eversheds for the VS in Newcastle. I've never done a VI before so if anyone has any tips or hints about what questions they may ask or which things would be best to look over then I would be grateful. Also any just general do's and don'ts for VI

Alan

Star Member
Nov 17, 2019
Hey everyone, this might be a bit of a silly question but: if you apply for a spring VS and get a TC and have summer VS' at other firms, are you expected to give an answer in spring or can you wait till summer?

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hey everyone, this might be a bit of a silly question but: if you apply for a spring VS and get a TC and have summer VS' at other firms, are you expected to give an answer in spring or can you wait till summer?
If you are offered a TC they will give you a timeframe in which to accept or reject the offer which I believe is usually 4 weeks. In the law society voluntary code of conduct it stipulates that once you are made an offer and accepted it, you must inform all other employers who have made you a TC or VS offer that you have accepted a TC elsewhere and are therefore withdrawing from the rest of the recruitment process.
You can apply for an extension on the time limit of an offer and that may be granted depending on the reason given. No guarantee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.