Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I'm part of the no "under review" email club too :( Applied for Spring VS near the deadline, and got my capp report a few days later. Havent asked for the WG results but will do tomorrow. I have never received an "under review" email. Have you never had one, or just not had one recently?

What were you guys' main strengths/weaknesses if you dont mind me asking? (Do people think there is a pattern of people getting similar ones and being invited?)
Hi so just to shed some light I didn’t have any email prior to my actual invite so I had no clue I was under review. Perhaps their system is so overrun with applicants it could be a technical thing perhaps? I’d try not to worry or seek a pattern as I’ve often find this just causes more stress (from genuine past experience) and I am pretty certain the reports were similar in giving everyone say two strengths and one weakness each. I would also say each area is no doubt equally important so I really think with Capp they must attribute scores to each individual value on the test. Try not to worry :)

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
What are everyone’s thoughts on still submitting applications whose deadlines are the 31st but are on a rolling basis? Are they likely to be full and will be a wasted application?

Definitely worth a try! Here are my reasons why:

1. You always hear good success stories from people who applied a day before the deadline, an hour before the deadline etc. and they secure a vac scheme and TC

2. Every cycle is different. Perhaps, one cycle a firm fills up all their AC spaces before the deadline (however this is very rare). Most cycles, this is not the case. We don't receive such updates from firms during the cycle so you'll never know which one is occurring. Therefore, your best bet is to apply!

3. No matter the outcome (offer or not), you'll know that you did your absolute best and will have an app you can improve from next cycle

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
Hi Emina,

Nope I haven’t heard a thing from them. Tried calling 3 times and went straight to voicemail - something weird is going on at that firm!
I think because they get their main candidates from the Aspiring solicitors comm awareness competition & they’re the best firm there, it can be super competitive to get a place on the vac scheme.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Emina, Daniel Boden and jan28

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
I think because they get their main candidates from the Aspiring solicitors comm awareness competition & they’re the best firm there, it can be super competitive to get a place on the vac scheme.
But it’s still no reason to at least not get a reply. I met their head of recruitment but I don’t know if it’ll be a reach to ask when we can expect to hear back. I asked someone from another firm & they pretty much aired my message on LinkedIn.

Reactions: Emina and Daniel Boden

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If applications are still open, it's always worthwhile applying if you think you can meet the firms criteria.

As seen with Shearman and Sterling’s post, even a few days before the deadline and you are getting in ahead of a significant proportion of applicants.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-27_11-20-24.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-27_11-20-24.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 71

Dos

Star Member
Aug 2, 2019
I'm part of the no "under review" email club too :( Applied for Spring VS near the deadline, and got my capp report a few days later. Havent asked for the WG results but will do tomorrow. I have never received an "under review" email. Have you never had one, or just not had one recently?

What were you guys' main strengths/weaknesses if you dont mind me asking? (Do people think there is a pattern of people getting similar ones and being invited?)
`
Hello,

My strengths were Critical Thinking and Motivation. Weakness was Resource allocation.

My friend had the same weakness as me- they got a AC. So Idk. aha

Reactions: Sammie

Dos

Star Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi so just to shed some light I didn’t have any email prior to my actual invite so I had no clue I was under review. Perhaps their system is so overrun with applicants it could be a technical thing perhaps? I’d try not to worry or seek a pattern as I’ve often find this just causes more stress (from genuine past experience) and I am pretty certain the reports were similar in giving everyone say two strengths and one weakness each. I would also say each area is no doubt equally important so I really think with Capp they must attribute scores to each individual value on the test. Try not to worry :)

This was so reassuring- thanks!

Reactions: Sammie

DavidJC

Distinguished Member
Dec 29, 2019

I haven't gotten an under review email either. Just sent them and a few other firms emails requesting an update.

I got Working with Others and Resilience, weakness in Excellence though. :D
I also read on an old LegalCheek article that they used the CAPP assessment to replace the traditional application form in an effort to get a sense of the applicant's strengths and weaknesses without them having to write about it. I only know the assessment to be commonly used by other professional services firms (e.g. Big 4) so hopefully it works as intended.

For those who've applied to Debevoise and not heard back, they just let me know that they're still reviewing and will contact us within the next couple of weeks (hopefully that actually means two weeks).

Reactions: csyn and Sammie

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
I haven't gotten an under review email either. Just sent them and a few other firms emails requesting an update.

I got Working with Others and Resilience, weakness in Excellence though. :D
I also read on an old LegalCheek article that they used the CAPP assessment to replace the traditional application form in an effort to get a sense of the applicant's strengths and weaknesses without them having to write about it. I only know the assessment to be commonly used by other professional services firms (e.g. Big 4) so hopefully it works as intended.

For those who've applied to Debevoise and not heard back, they just let me know that they're still reviewing and will contact us within the next couple of weeks (hopefully that actually means two weeks).
That application was one of the longest I had ever seen.

• Haha
Reactions: Frank and Sammie
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.