Hearing Back from Law Firms, Assessment Centres & Interview Tips - 2019 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
I
Dechert is frequently retained to work on the most challenging matters, and prides itself on its ability to deliver premium legal services and sound business judgment to its clients. In your opinion, other than the above, what are the three key reasons why our clients instruct us? 250 words

I have come up with two reasons why but I am struggling on the final reason. For the last reason, I want to discuss their strengths in practice areas. Would that be something worth discussing? I have spent so long researching this firm.
I submitted this app ages ago but I remember saying about their culture/personal approach to clients. Practice area strengths would make sense but make sure you’re not talking about their ‘premium legal services’ because it says other than that!! :)

Alan

Star Member
Nov 17, 2019
Just got an email from Bakers that I’ve progressed to the WG stage. Link to test will be sent out on Monday. I’ve been waiting for about a month now, so just hang tight if you’re still expecting to hear from them :)
Same!
Most of their AC's are in March with the earliest being last week of Feb so hold tight folks :)

Alan

Star Member
Nov 17, 2019
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I've heard that a very common question at interviews is 'What is the business of a law firm?'. I was wondering if anyone had any effective answers they've used in their interviews.

Thanks!

Reactions: Charlie_32133

EEE

Star Member
Future Trainee
Jun 4, 2019
If this is your first cycle I would really encourage you not to get too down about it - I know that's way easier said than done, but this is coming from someone who has literally done four application cycles before even getting a VS(!). In both the partner interviews for my ACs so far this year the topic came up and I actually think it gave me a really good opportunity to show my resilience/dedication to getting the job etc. In fact in my feedback I was praised for my 'dedication to the law' (lol). If you can build a compelling narrative around experiencing rejection and how this pushed you to find ways to improve then I actually think it makes you come across very relatable and mature, but determined at the same time. Honestly if I think what has changed between my last cycle and this one where I've started to see some success it's building that narrative. Ultimately they're looking for someone who is going to stick with the job because they make such a massive investment in training you up, so actually I think experiencing rejection can sort of be a blessing in disguise - even though I absolutely know how hard it is to see it that way right now.

Sorry for essay but I'm feeling v reflective after getting my first ever post-AC acceptance yesterday! Hope this is somewhat helpful :)

That really is motivational advice, thank you. I have slightly more hope after finally hearing back from Baker McKenzie who will invite me to do the WG on Monday. A little step forward, but better than another rejection.

Huge congratulations on your post-AC acceptance! And thank you again for the lovely advice :)

M1999

Legendary Member
Nov 28, 2019
Could someone please tell me what they think are advantages of a firm growing through acquisition as opposed to merging is? A bit confused in my research and don’t want to say the wrong thing :(

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Could someone please tell me what they think are advantages of a firm growing through acquisition as opposed to merging is? A bit confused in my research and don’t want to say the wrong thing :(

so I’m not 100% and haven’t researched this but I think it can depend on the sizes of the businesses involved. If two companies are a similar size they may prefer to merge whereas if a firm is looking to buy just a few offices in one or two jurisdictions and they’re huge and international then an acquisition would be appropriate. You could discuss culture in mergers in the sense that the two entities or more which are fusing are all joining one new whole as opposed to one business feeling like it has to assimilate into another one through an acquisition. Does that final point make sense? Sorry my brain is fried today!!

Reactions: M1999

PhoebeL

Esteemed Member
Jan 7, 2020

I think one disadvantage of a merger is that it has the potential to create conflict if the firms cannot agree who will run the business? And in terms of staff I guess it could lead to potential redundancies of staff with tenure?
Or creating a new brand identity that reflects the culture of the new firm

Reactions: M1999
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.